Sign in with
Your question

One highend or two average cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2013 3:41:41 PM

My budget is 400-600. I'm contemplating one GTX 680, or two 660s.

The 680 would be the better choice in the long run as I can get a second one cheaper in a year or so. But I'm wondering if there is a huge performance gap between two 660's and a single 680? If so, maybe I go SLI now and ride that out for a few years.

Comments appreciated, thanks.

More about : highend average cards

February 19, 2013 3:45:09 PM

this is kind of funny, because toms did an article on a similar question literally yesterday.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-gef...

Basically the TL;DR is that two 660's are the best value so long as you don't mind SLI and the issues that come with it. I've always had more powerful single card setups.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 3:45:51 PM

go for a single 680
with a single gpu you will experience less driver issues meaning a new game comes out and your two video cards are not being utilized the best because of either new drivers or the game is not optimized for that yet. also two cards will run louder and hotter than a single one
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2013 3:48:11 PM

Always go for the single gpu option the only time I would recommend SLI/Xfire is if you get the 2 highest end single gpu's for that generation or if you have say 1 gtx 660 already and you struggle to run games in like a year or so then upgrade and it would be the most cost efficient
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 3:54:17 PM

If you did GTX 660Ti's, I would say go for those. Otherwise, I'd say just go for a single GTX 680.
m
l
February 19, 2013 7:21:58 PM

internetlad said:
this is kind of funny, because toms did an article on a similar question literally yesterday.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-gef...

Basically the TL;DR is that two 660's are the best value so long as you don't mind SLI and the issues that come with it. I've always had more powerful single card setups.

I read the article right after this post. After reading it, I was planning on doing two 660 Ti's (maybe 3 down the line somewhere if possible).

But I'm glad I made this thread as others point out some definite benefits of a single card over multiple. I like the driver compatibility and lower heat issues. I think I've been swayed towards a 680.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:23:14 PM

Single card, ALWAYS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:26:03 PM

680 will hold down the fort till you can get another one, hands-down
m