Upgrade from gtx 460 to gtx 660 ti, can I run both? Windows is pretty good at m

donaldbeck73

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Hi! i guess probably no but can I run GTX660 and GTX460? Windows is pretty good at memory management still would I get better results running GTX660ti only? Not both different cards sli obviously... please advise? Many thanks~

Tarod_13

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Hi, Sorry but i don't understand the answer and the link does not helping me too much.
I not very familiar with SLI technology.

Can or can't SLI a GTX 460 with a GTX660?
the other questions is, if so, its better sell this two graphics cards and buy a new one?
Thanks in advance.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
SLI technology is the ability to use multiple cards to render graphics. When you SLI two cards, the cards act as one rendering the same graphic but with double or triple the power. Couple things to know, when you get a second GPU, say a 660, the memory size does not increase. For example, if you have two 660s with 2GB of RAM, you will still have 2GB of RAM not 4. Thus they "act" like one.

You can only SLI two cards that have the same model. For example, you can only SLI two 660gtx cards together. Or three 770 gtx cards. You cannot run SLI with a 660 and a 770 because they are different models, but more importantly, they have different graphic processors.

That you can do with two different cards is run Physx. Physx is a technology that makes the game more realistic. You can read more about with the link I provided below. Basically, how it works, the 660 would be your primary card with the 460 running the Physx.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx/technology

As for upgrading, are you unhappy with your current performance? What games do you play?

Tarod_13

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

Thanks for the lesson!!! :D

I just play starcraft II HOTS, maybe will play assassins creed because the game comes with the graphic card but 90% Starcraft. and I have read in other forums that the problem of Starcraft is that was "bad" developed and run too much with CPU instead of taking max profit of GPUs.

The current performance is... near to null because my old CPU (phenom x4 9550 and my old ram 8gb DDR2). I though that my low performace was due to GTX 460 and bought GTX 660, but clutchc (another expert from here), told me that the graphics card was not the problem but the CPU.

So. I will move to i5 4670k and Asrock Z87 Extreme4 :D I just want to know if I should put them into SLI to increase performace or should sell the GTX 460 with the rest of my current CPU, Mobo and RAM :D

Thank you again for the lesson!

barto

Expert
Ambassador
You're welcome for the help.

That's up to you if you want to keep the 460 or not. I honestly think that you'll see a night/day difference in performance once you upgrade your CPU. The 660 gtx will do high in the majority of the games on the market.

I still have my old 460 sitting in my old PC behind me not being used. I haven't decided if I'm going to do Physx or not. I guess I should try.

Tarod_13

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

Let me know if you do it at the end, I will have mine here in the desk drawer :p