Upgrading GPU advice please.

Hello guys,

After reading the *How to Ask for Advice about Choosing a New GPU* thread

I feel well enough armed to start a thread requesting advice for upgrading my system!

Here is the answer to the points raised in the aforementioned thread...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:

Within the month

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:

Definitely Gaming first, nothing else i do is really GPU intensive after that. Maybe a little video editing but just general usage really.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:

Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

My machine is a new build really, I purchased this mobo/cpu combo and have built up around it...

http://www.cclonline.com/product/73555/NoMfgCode/Motherboard-Bundles/CCL-Alpha-Apogee-Motherboard-Bundle-/MBB-INT-EXT/

My PSU is 550watts and I have just 4GB of memory at the moment.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:

I'm happy to order from any reputable UK website and live within half an hour of CCL Computers (from where i bought the mobo/cpu combo) and would be happy to use them again. My only stipulation would be i'd like to keep this UK only please.

PARTS PREFERENCES:

None really

OVERCLOCKING:

Not something i've ever done really but wouldn't rule it out.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:

I am currently using my 42" Panasonic TV which has a top resolution of 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

My budget is up to £200. What i would really like is to be able to run Crysis 2 at ultra settings on a high resolution with a +50 fps but am aware that this probably isn't very realistic within my budget?

Also, at what point would my i5 2500 (not K) start bottlenecking GPUs as this is a concern i have looking forward?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your recommendations.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrading advice please
  1. On your budget, you could probably find a HD7950 or a GTX660Ti. Of course, that assumes your PSU is a decent one, actually capable of outputting what is on its label, and doing it cleanly. If it is something like a XFX, then yes it is; if it's a cheap generic that came with your case, or a Coolermaster, no it is not. If you also need to replace your PSU, you might be limited to a HD7870 or GTX660. Check the benchmarks for Crysis 2 and/or other games you play, to see if they favor nVidia or AMD.
  2. Onus said:
    On your budget, you could probably find a HD7950 or a GTX660Ti. Of course, that assumes your PSU is a decent one, actually capable of outputting what is on its label, and doing it cleanly. If it is something like a XFX, then yes it is; if it's a cheap generic that came with your case, or a Coolermaster, no it is not. If you also need to replace your PSU, you might be limited to a HD7870 or GTX660. Check the benchmarks for Crysis 2 and/or other games you play, to see if they favor nVidia or AMD.

I admit to being a bit skimpy on price for the PSU, simply because I didn't attach too much importance to the thing.

I would have thought that for the higher priced PSU's you were just paying for the name really, I mean, after all electricity is electricity and in my naivety still can't understand how one could out-perform another?

I mean they both supply the same wattage right?

I would appreciate some explaination.

Either way, this will not distract me from my upgrade.

I will replace the PSU accordingly if it is necessary, which it probably is as mine only cost about £20 anyway.
  3. I would suggest going to www.hardwaresecrets.com and read their PSU tutorials and some sample reviews. Labels may be exaggerations, or outright lies. The quality of the power delivered may be good (minimal ripple and noise; accurate voltage), or messy (potentially destructive noise and ripple; out-of-spec voltage). So yes, PSU quality can vary a LOT.
  4. Onus said:
    I would suggest going to www.hardwaresecrets.com and read their PSU tutorials and some sample reviews. Labels may be exaggerations, or outright lies. The quality of the power delivered may be good (minimal ripple and noise; accurate voltage), or messy (potentially destructive noise and ripple; out-of-spec voltage). So yes, PSU quality can vary a LOT.
    + 1 never ever skimp on your power supply!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics