polarization markings on lamp cord

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
October 2, 2004 3:45:28 AM

I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:08:00 AM

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:45:28 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote:

>I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
>do you know which is + and -?

When using it as speaker wire? You should be able to improvise a
continuity test. Or connect both speakers, place them close together
and reverse polarity on one speaker until you get maximum bass. Then
the speakers are in correct phase.
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:57:28 AM

Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:
> I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
> seem to find the markings. How
> do you know which is + and -?

Hi Jiyang,

Your lamp uses alternating current.
There is no plus and minus.
Don't care about it.

Cheers

Eberhard
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:57:29 AM

"Eberhard Sengpiel" <esengpiel@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:
> > I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
> > seem to find the markings. How
> > do you know which is + and -?
>

> Hi Jiyang,
>
> Your lamp uses alternating current.
> There is no plus and minus.
> Don't care about it.
>
> Cheers
>
> Eberhard

Hi,
I'm using the lamp cord as speaker cables though.

Thanks
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 5:57:30 AM

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in news:D Jm7d.5263$nj.3832
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

> "Eberhard Sengpiel" <esengpiel@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> Jiyang Chen <no@no.no> wrote:
>> > I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't
>> > seem to find the markings. How
>> > do you know which is + and -?
>>

>> Hi Jiyang,
>>
>> Your lamp uses alternating current.
>> There is no plus and minus.
>> Don't care about it.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Eberhard
>>

> Hi,
> I'm using the lamp cord as speaker cables though.
>
> Thanks

One side usually has an extra rib or ridge running the length of it. Look
carefully as it is easy to miss.

October 2, 2004 6:26:15 AM

If you look very carefully at the edges of the lamp cord, on one side,
there should be a set of very thin rib like lines that run along its
length. As for the speaker connections, this rib line can be used for
the positive side, if you desire.

The idea of this rib line, is that when the lamp cord is used for
electrical work, there is an easy reference to know where you would be
putting the neutral side. To be compliant, appliances must be wired
correctly in order to meet safety standards. The neutral must always be
in part of the return path that eventually leads to ground.

The other way to know, is to verify the wire with an ohm meter, and then
mark the ends.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
How
do you know which is + and -?

Thanks

Jiyang
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 6:27:12 AM

In article <56srl058gv74np6v0t9r69l5ejumhl3jqt@4ax.com>,
l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk says...
> On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:45:28 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote:
>
> >I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
> >do you know which is + and -?
>
> When using it as speaker wire? You should be able to improvise a
> continuity test. Or connect both speakers, place them close together
> and reverse polarity on one speaker until you get maximum bass. Then
> the speakers are in correct phase.

If there is no ridge, some wire has a rounded side and a square side,
others have small symbols printed on one side only. Some wire has one
wire as silver colored and the other copper colored.
--
I. Care
Address fake until

I Care wrote:
> In article <56srl058gv74np6v0t9r69l5ejumhl3jqt@4ax.com>,
> l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk says...
>
>>On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 23:45:28 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote:
>>

>>>I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings. How
>>>do you know which is + and -?
>>
>>When using it as speaker wire? You should be able to improvise a
>>continuity test. Or connect both speakers, place them close together
>>and reverse polarity on one speaker until you get maximum bass. Then
>>the speakers are in correct phase.
>>

> If there is no ridge, some wire has a rounded side and a square side,
> others have small symbols printed on one side only. Some wire has one
> wire as silver colored and the other copper colored.

.... and some has a colored thread with one of the conductors.

October 2, 2004 4:52:51 PM

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in

> I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
> How do you know which is + and -?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jiyang

Usually one of the two wires will have some dsort of ribbing on it.

-Bruce
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 11:14:06 PM

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
> I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
How
> do you know which is + and -?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jiyang

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?
October 2, 2004 11:51:18 PM

Jiyang Chen wrote:
> "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
>
>>I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
>
> How
>
>>do you know which is + and -?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Jiyang
>>

> Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

As long as you're consistent it doesn't matter.

October 3, 2004 12:52:03 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:14:06 GMT, "Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote:

>Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?

If you want it to be.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 6:22:11 AM

As long as you are consistent, it will not matter. I personally use the
ribbed side as the positive.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Jiyang Chen" <no@no.no> wrote in message
> I got some lamp cord from Lowe's, but can't seem to find the markings.
How
> do you know which is + and -?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jiyang

Thanks for all the help. Is the ribbed side always +?
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:38:10 PM

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 02:22:11 -0400, "Jerry G." <jerryg@total.net>
wrote:

>As long as you are consistent, it will not matter. I personally use the
>ribbed side as the positive.

Wear it inside out. Why should she have all the fun? :-)
!