I have been going through an upgrade. I have upgraded some hardware and went to Windows 7 64 bit. I installed most of this last weekend and it's been working fine for about a week.
Then a few days ago, I added an SSD, and reinstalled Windows 7 onto it. Got it activated and everything was working fine. Then I made some tweaks, for the SDD. Still, everything was working pretty well. I ran some performance tests, which tested my DVD and hardware.
I also installed some software via DVD.
However, today I notice some yellow warnings in my device manager, showing some driver issues. It appears that there are two seperate issues. One is PCI related and the other is DVD device related.
I have completely unplugged and reconnected all the boards and cables.
I have uninstalled the drivers and let the system configure it again. Same results.
I'm really not believing there is an issue with these drivers, just that they can't load for some reason. Everything was working up to yesterday. I had reloaded some software yesterday, by DVD, so I know it worked them.
Here is what these warnings say. When I go to the device manager I see the yellow exclamation mark with the following notes:
The yellow exclamation mark. When I click details, this info displayed.
HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N ATA Device
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."
Also, updating this driver shows it's the latest version.
For the first driver, the system information shows no DVD installed. And when I "update" the driver, it says that the driver is up to date. But it says it cannot load the driver. I have uninstalled the driver, and reset and the same thing happens.
For the 2nd driver issue, when I click update, it can't locate a driver. I'm not really sure what this hardware is, yet.
This really all started after I upgraded to an SDD, but even then, the drive worked after going to an SDD. It may be a total coincidence. I sure hope I haven't made a mistake by going to this SSD. I also can't explain why it would work for 2 days, then fail. I have also run SFC but it reports nothing to fix.
I have verified that my device drivers are all up to date, with one of those driver scanning tools. I have also unplugged the DVD player, power and ribbon cable. I have reseated them on both ends of the cable on the PC end and the drive end. Same problem.
Any ideas what is causing this. This looks like two problems that probably both occurred because of the same event (i.e. setting change). I'm thinking it must have been the result of some settings that must have changed.
As I said, this worked fine for 2 days, after I installed Windows 7 on the SSD. I have probably been through several dozen boots, since going to the SSD. And I have been using the DVD device, for those two days, installing other software. Everything has been working fine, from the SDD for the past 2 days.
But today, I updated all the MB chipset drivers, just in case, and everything is up to date. But updating the drivers didn't fix the problem.
I've even replaced the DVD device and cable, just in case I had a coincidental failed component or cable. The replacement drive had the same issue. My system isn't seeing the drive for some reason. And the PCI issue is a completely different problem. Both occurred at the same time.
I'm at a loss to know how to resolve this. I even downloaded and registered one of those driver programs and it reports all drivers are up to date.
I'm stumped about how to go about fixing this. Drives are current, according to the device manager. Different hardware and cable doesn't fix the problem. I'm still thinking there must have been some tweak, because of the SDD, that caused this to occur.
Holy Guacamole the fix to the first part was easy. Turns out, I'm not the first person to have this problem. It's been reported back to 2008. I found this site, and a FixIt to fix the problem. As I figured, it was some setting, although I don't know how it got set.
I ran the Fix it and my drive came back to life... until next time.
Now to find my PCI Simple Communications Controller problem. Everything I have read points to this as being a modem driver. Since I'll never use another dialup modem as long as I live, it's not a big deal. It's the principle of the thing. I'm not going to let a machine defeat me.
PS: I just tested my DVD and it's working fine. Reads and writes as expected.