Geforce TITAN vs GTX 690

Ultjack

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Ok, so about a week ago i bought a new PC that had the GTX 690 as its graphics card and now Nvidia announced the Geforce Titan...

According to these benchmarks : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan/performance.

it's not that much powerful than the 690 but i'm not really sure.

So,should i return my desktop and wait for the Titan to come to stores or is the 690 good?

Solution

The 690 is insanely good. But, if you're going to play on very high resolution on several screens, then the titan would be ideal due to the high vram and 384-bit.

GK104 is made for the regular resolutions like 1080p and sometimes1440p that is only with the GTX 670, 680 and 690 though, while the GK110, the Titan, destroys the highest...

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
The 690 is still top of the line.

The titan is Nvidias Epeen of graphics cards, it packs 90% of a 690's power on one die, instead of two smaller duals.

The Titan is 5-15% slower than the GTX690, it just uses more power for having one physical GPU

The 690 is insanely good. But, if you're going to play on very high resolution on several screens, then the titan would be ideal due to the high vram and 384-bit.

GK104 is made for the regular resolutions like 1080p and sometimes1440p that is only with the GTX 670, 680 and 690 though, while the GK110, the Titan, destroys the highest resolutions at several screens.

Solution

Titan is out, where have you been today?? :lol:

TDP on Titan is lower than on GTX 690. :)

Ultjack

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
As for multiple screens i can't have that due to limited space, 30" max

My problem is that i'm confused, some websites say it loses to the 690,7990 some say it's the revolution in PC gaming, the "Supercomputer graphics card"

You are kidding right? I haven't seen the Titian out yet. If you can wait for when it does come out then wait. We'll see what it can really do once the board partners start making them. The 690 is still a killer card it's hard to picture the Titan being much better.

Ultjack

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Kidding ?

I know it's an insanely powerful card but is it THAT good to return my new PC and wait a while for it to come to stores

Nvidia has released it, youtubers are getting their hands on them and already are making reviews. You can already order them. How can't you've seen it?

If I were you I would. It's kinda sad, that you ordered the GTX 690 right before launch of the Titan.

The 690 is a dual GPU and SLI configurations sometimes doesn't scale well in games. The titan doesn't suffer from that problem and the Titan will run every screen you enable it with, without getting bottlenecked by the video RAM.

I would go with the Titan card honestly. More ram firstly. And having the power of one GPU die suprassing or staying near a 690 is remarkable. Plus you don't have to deal with the scaling of the 690 which isn't a perfectly scaled 680 2 gigabyte sli on one pcb.

Actually I work in the computer distribution channel and the soonest I'm hearing of a release is at least 2 weeks away. Those must be special samples released by nVidia, they may be a little different from the actual models that the board partners will release. Of course each mfr will try to add their own flavor to them, so there will be a little variation. I still say wait and see.

In Denmark they are in stores in two days, I live here and It's been stated by one of the bigger electronics stores.

Origin PC are already selling it and is shipping them watercooled in their systems.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
It sounds like an interesting card.
NVIDIA are not trying to beat the 690 (it won't - that would hurt 690 sales or cause them to drop the 690 price, both of which is not good for business) but it will offer enough performance gains over a 680/7970 while also offering significantly more cuda/dc performance in a single non-sli card. In keeping the price the same as the 690 they are going to have to show something significant with cuda performance, i.e. offering high end gaming and pro level gfx features in one card.
A niche product. We'll see when the benchmarks appear.

Hello. Titan benchies will come out (officially) at thursday. They will be available to the market at Feb 25th.

In my opinion the card that suits you most depends heavily on the resolution. If you have 1080p monitor/TV stick with the 690. The only advantage of Titan against 690 @1920x1080/1200 is that you don't have to rely on SLI scalability. On the other hand if you plan on playing on extreme resolutions like 2560x1440/1600 or UHD such as 3840x2160 Titan will be your friend.

And one last thing. If you can trade the GTX690 with a Titan (they have the same price and since you have only 1 week that you bought the PC they should be able to make the trade from the shop you bought the PC), then go for it because with its humongus VRAM it will be able to survive on more future resolutions.

GTX690 vs Titan:
Official benchmarks appear to be a couple days away so I don't have exact numbers however there's an article on the main page about the Titan which recommends the GTX690 over the Titan but I don't quite agree.

1) The GTX690 will have better frame rates than the Titan in games that utilize SLI.

2) *However, micro-stutter in SLI is still common so 60FPS on a GTX690 can feel more sluggish than 60FPS on the Titan
(micro-stutter is very misunderstood. There's a big misconception that it's a minor issue now and that's NOT TRUE. Top reviewers are beginning to look at FRAME TIMES rather than just the average. Ideally you want 60FPS to consist of equal times between frames which is less likely with 2xSLI.)

3) Titan will outperform a GTX690 in games that don't use SLI.

4) Video RAM (6GB vs 2GB per GPU on the GTX690. The GTX690 is labelled as 4GB but it's 2GB effective as SLI clones video memory so each GPU has only 2GB.)

Other:
If you have $1000 for a graphics card, it may be time to seriously consider a 3xSLI setup. 3xSLI has minimal micro-stutter and better value overall but then you have noise and other issues to deal with.

Summary:
I have no issue with spending $1000 on a graphics card, however unless the Titan gets a minimum of 40% more than a stock GTX680 I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a GTX680 (Asus "TOP") overclocked to 1300MHz which gets about 25% better performance than a stock GTX680. It still runs relatively quiet under load and the card was $520.

The ONLY game I can't play at full quality or close to it is Far Cry 3 but I've put that on hold hoping another patch comes out to fix some graphical issues.

*Everything considered I would still recommend the Titan over the GTX690 as I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
This card is not only designed for gaming - NVIDIA will be pushing the fact that it can deliver high FP64 compute performance (something other gaming cards can't do) at a price much cheaper than e.g. actual Tesla/pro products. Again, they don't wan't to kill the 690 just yet. Both are niche products