Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Geforce TITAN vs GTX 690

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2013 7:16:34 PM

Ok, so about a week ago i bought a new PC that had the GTX 690 as its graphics card and now Nvidia announced the Geforce Titan...

According to these benchmarks : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt....

it's not that much powerful than the 690 but i'm not really sure.

So,should i return my desktop and wait for the Titan to come to stores or is the 690 good?

More about : geforce titan gtx 690

a c 133 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:22:06 PM

Id keep the 690.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:22:28 PM

The 690 is still top of the line.

The titan is Nvidias Epeen of graphics cards, it packs 90% of a 690's power on one die, instead of two smaller duals.

The Titan is 5-15% slower than the GTX690, it just uses more power for having one physical GPU
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:22:30 PM

You shouldn't have bought the GTX690 in the first place......terrible price/performance ratio.

Sure if you want you can return your desktop you can do so, but you'll have to wait a month or two for the Titan to show up.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:23:18 PM

Ultjack said:
Ok, so about a week ago i bought a new PC that had the GTX 690 as its graphics card and now Nvidia announced the Geforce Titan...

According to these benchmarks : http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt....

it's not that much powerful than the 690 but i'm not really sure.

So,should i return my desktop and wait for the Titan to come to stores or is the 690 good?

The 690 is insanely good. But, if you're going to play on very high resolution on several screens, then the titan would be ideal due to the high vram and 384-bit.

GK104 is made for the regular resolutions like 1080p and sometimes1440p that is only with the GTX 670, 680 and 690 though, while the GK110, the Titan, destroys the highest resolutions at several screens.
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:23:55 PM

i would have gone with two 680's in SLI, won't be able to beat that with a 690 or a Titan, but you might be able to beat it with 3 x GTX 660Ti's...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:24:02 PM

amuffin said:
You shouldn't have bought the GTX690 in the first place......terrible price/performance ratio.

Sure if you want you can return your desktop you can do so, but you'll have to wait a month or two for the Titan to show up.

Titan is out, where have you been today?? :lol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:25:04 PM

austing said:
The 690 is still top of the line.

The titan is Nvidias Epeen of graphics cards, it packs 90% of a 690's power on one die, instead of two smaller duals.

The Titan is 5-15% slower than the GTX690, it just uses more power for having one physical GPU

TDP on Titan is lower than on GTX 690. :) 
m
l
February 19, 2013 7:33:27 PM

As for multiple screens i can't have that due to limited space, 30" max

My problem is that i'm confused, some websites say it loses to the 690,7990 some say it's the revolution in PC gaming, the "Supercomputer graphics card"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:38:37 PM

You are kidding right? I haven't seen the Titian out yet. If you can wait for when it does come out then wait. We'll see what it can really do once the board partners start making them. The 690 is still a killer card it's hard to picture the Titan being much better.
m
l
February 19, 2013 7:41:10 PM

littleleo said:
You are kidding right?

Kidding ?

I know it's an insanely powerful card but is it THAT good to return my new PC and wait a while for it to come to stores
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:51:25 PM

littleleo said:
You are kidding right? I haven't seen the Titian out yet. If you can wait for when it does come out then wait. We'll see what it can really do once the board partners start making them. The 690 is still a killer card it's hard to picture the Titan being much better.

Nvidia has released it, youtubers are getting their hands on them and already are making reviews. You can already order them. How can't you've seen it?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:54:19 PM

Ultjack said:
Kidding ?

I know it's an insanely powerful card but is it THAT good to return my new PC and wait a while for it to come to stores

If I were you I would. It's kinda sad, that you ordered the GTX 690 right before launch of the Titan.

The 690 is a dual GPU and SLI configurations sometimes doesn't scale well in games. The titan doesn't suffer from that problem and the Titan will run every screen you enable it with, without getting bottlenecked by the video RAM.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 7:55:45 PM

I would go with the Titan card honestly. More ram firstly. And having the power of one GPU die suprassing or staying near a 690 is remarkable. Plus you don't have to deal with the scaling of the 690 which isn't a perfectly scaled 680 2 gigabyte sli on one pcb.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 8:13:22 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
Nvidia has released it, youtubers are getting their hands on them and already are making reviews. You can already order them. How can't you've seen it?

Actually I work in the computer distribution channel and the soonest I'm hearing of a release is at least 2 weeks away. Those must be special samples released by nVidia, they may be a little different from the actual models that the board partners will release. Of course each mfr will try to add their own flavor to them, so there will be a little variation. I still say wait and see.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 8:17:08 PM

You won't actually get the cards until the end of the month. Gotta wait until EVGA etc. releases their "version" of the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 8:18:51 PM

littleleo said:
Actually I work in the computer distribution channel and the soonest I'm hearing of a release is at least 2 weeks away. Those must be special samples released by nVidia, they may be a little different from the actual models that the board partners will release. Of course each mfr will try to add their own flavor to them, so there will be a little variation. I still say wait and see.

In Denmark they are in stores in two days, I live here and It's been stated by one of the bigger electronics stores.

Origin PC are already selling it and is shipping them watercooled in their systems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 8:40:22 PM

Well here in the States we're still waiting, and they are at least 2 weeks away. I wonder where ultjack is. I still think he should return the system and wait and see what Titan version catches his eye.
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 8:41:50 PM

I wouldn't expect there to be a non reference card. Not exactly sure why anyone would.
m
l
February 19, 2013 8:42:28 PM

It sounds like an interesting card.
NVIDIA are not trying to beat the 690 (it won't - that would hurt 690 sales or cause them to drop the 690 price, both of which is not good for business) but it will offer enough performance gains over a 680/7970 while also offering significantly more cuda/dc performance in a single non-sli card. In keeping the price the same as the 690 they are going to have to show something significant with cuda performance, i.e. offering high end gaming and pro level gfx features in one card.
A niche product. We'll see when the benchmarks appear.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 9:08:56 PM

Hello. Titan benchies will come out (officially) at thursday. They will be available to the market at Feb 25th.

In my opinion the card that suits you most depends heavily on the resolution. If you have 1080p monitor/TV stick with the 690. The only advantage of Titan against 690 @1920x1080/1200 is that you don't have to rely on SLI scalability. On the other hand if you plan on playing on extreme resolutions like 2560x1440/1600 or UHD such as 3840x2160 Titan will be your friend.

And one last thing. If you can trade the GTX690 with a Titan (they have the same price and since you have only 1 week that you bought the PC they should be able to make the trade from the shop you bought the PC), then go for it because with its humongus VRAM it will be able to survive on more future resolutions.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:58:40 PM

GTX690 vs Titan:
Official benchmarks appear to be a couple days away so I don't have exact numbers however there's an article on the main page about the Titan which recommends the GTX690 over the Titan but I don't quite agree.

1) The GTX690 will have better frame rates than the Titan in games that utilize SLI.

2) *However, micro-stutter in SLI is still common so 60FPS on a GTX690 can feel more sluggish than 60FPS on the Titan
(micro-stutter is very misunderstood. There's a big misconception that it's a minor issue now and that's NOT TRUE. Top reviewers are beginning to look at FRAME TIMES rather than just the average. Ideally you want 60FPS to consist of equal times between frames which is less likely with 2xSLI.)

3) Titan will outperform a GTX690 in games that don't use SLI.

4) Video RAM (6GB vs 2GB per GPU on the GTX690. The GTX690 is labelled as 4GB but it's 2GB effective as SLI clones video memory so each GPU has only 2GB.)

Other:
If you have $1000 for a graphics card, it may be time to seriously consider a 3xSLI setup. 3xSLI has minimal micro-stutter and better value overall but then you have noise and other issues to deal with.

Summary:
I have no issue with spending $1000 on a graphics card, however unless the Titan gets a minimum of 40% more than a stock GTX680 I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a GTX680 (Asus "TOP") overclocked to 1300MHz which gets about 25% better performance than a stock GTX680. It still runs relatively quiet under load and the card was $520.

The ONLY game I can't play at full quality or close to it is Far Cry 3 but I've put that on hold hoping another patch comes out to fix some graphical issues.

*Everything considered I would still recommend the Titan over the GTX690 as I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 12:10:01 AM

I pretty much agree with photonboy but CFX doesn't really have a lot of issue with microstutter IMO after playing on 2x7970's
m
l
February 20, 2013 7:50:06 AM

This card is not only designed for gaming - NVIDIA will be pushing the fact that it can deliver high FP64 compute performance (something other gaming cards can't do) at a price much cheaper than e.g. actual Tesla/pro products. Again, they don't wan't to kill the 690 just yet. Both are niche products
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 7:53:34 AM

Even if it doesn't its pretty remarkable that you would throw a card with one gpu in the discussion with a 2 gpu card. Not to mention you can SLi Titan. And the card I'm sure will be beastly in a direct compute environment.
m
l
February 20, 2013 7:59:39 AM

the best part about the titan is that its insane performance is off a single GPU, so users looking for absolute maximum performance, can use 3-way, or 4-way sli and expect 2.5-3.5 times the power of 4way sli in two 690's or four 680's
m
l
February 20, 2013 10:11:21 AM

Thanks to your many insightful answers i concluded that the titan is better for me because i'm going to play on a 2560x1440 monitor (which is considered an extreme resolution that the titan can handle better).

but i'd like to ask (based on this graph http://tiny.cc/8vzssw ) why are the frame rates of the titan lower than the 690 (690 graph : http://goo.gl/kYpzf )

Example:

Starcraft 2 : Titan: 130 FPS , 690: 160 FPS

Battlefield 3 : Titan 66 FPS (roughly), 690: 80 FPS

are these all SLI optimized games that run better on a dual GPU ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 11:32:25 AM

Ultjack said:
Thanks to your many insightful answers i concluded that the titan is better for me because i'm going to play on a 2560x1440 monitor (which is considered an extreme resolution that the titan can handle better).

but i'd like to ask (based on this graph http://tiny.cc/8vzssw ) why are the frame rates of the titan lower than the 690 (690 graph : http://goo.gl/kYpzf )

Example:

They are good SLI games. The GTX690 problem is its VRAM. Its limited to 2GB. These games at these settings might not surpass 2GB at that point that they are benchmarked. But there are places (at Battlefield 3 at least) and games that surpass 2GB and you will notice (like I do with GTX570 cause of the 1280MB VRAM) FPS spikes or stuttering.

Also not only games but some mods also use a lot of VRAM like skyrim mods. I have seen mods that reach 2,5+GB VRAM but they are making the game an eyecandy.
m
l
February 20, 2013 1:43:09 PM

Ultjack said:

Example:

One would also think drivers are not optimized on a card that isn't released yet. I doubt a stock titan will be as quick as a stock 690. At best I think it will get within 10-15% of a stock 690. However, the Titan is supposedly supposed to be a good overclocker and get right up next two a 690. It is early in the benchmarks, but it could be a little behind a 690, equal, or slightly better than a 690. Either way this is impressive for a single gpu card, and you get 6gb of vram which is nice for higher resolutions. If you can return your 690 system and get all your money back, that may be a good option. If not, be happy because a system with a 690 is a reason to be proud. Having said that I wouldn't do anything until official benchmarks are out for the Titan.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 9:52:44 AM

I would peg the titan as a good sinle card solution if you need space or going multiple sli with it, cfx 7970 is cheaper and likely a better performer with 6gb of vram as well in some cards (only issue is cfx above 3 cards is gonna be a pain to fix and power
The 7970ghz has decent 1Tflop of DP (66% perf for less than 50% price) but titan brings CUDA to the table. one can only home more deva will implement opencl more so nvidia won't be pricing good compute cards so high or gimping the geforce's
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 6:53:45 PM

Well also I was really digging how the Titan is such a small card. Linus from Linus tech tips was placing one in a ITX case and that is really great for people who want a very small case with a big punch. It's very hard to place in a lot of the higher end cards and mainly the cards from AMD given there size.
m
l
February 22, 2013 4:48:35 AM

I just ordered a Titan in a system I purchased today. CyberpowerPC is offering them in their high end system as of today. When I will get my system, I'm not sure. It depends when the get their shipment from EVGA. I cancelled my order today when I saw them offering the Titan. Then just placed a new order. I'm looking forward to the day it arrives.. :) 
m
l
a c 133 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 4:58:59 AM

You lucky sob :)  Hope its as awesome as it looks. Pretty pimp to not put out a number and just say yea I have the titan :p 
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:13:19 AM

I can just see the looks on your faces when I tell you my system configuration, and what I'll hear about it... but here goes... CPU - 3970X overclocked to 4.5 GHz- Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32 GIG of 2133 MHz RAM - Azza Genesis 9000 Case - 2- 240 GIG Intel 520 SSD's in RAID 0, 2 TB Caviar Black HDD - LG 14X internal Blue Ray Burner - Vigor iSURF HDD cooler - Xtreme Hydro II Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ XSPC RayStorm CPU Block,Dual D5 Pump & Reservoir,AX360 Radiator w/ Triple Fan (for future upgrades) - Logitech G19 keyboard - SteelSeries Sensei Pro mouse - 1,200 Whatt Corsair AX1200i Modular PSU - NZXT fan and temp display & control - and of course the NVIDIA GTX TITAN (Thinking about getting another TITAN for SLI) and a few other accessories. I can hear you now.. OVERKILL.. But I'm futureproofing as best I can since my budget was $8,000. The monitors I haven't made up my mind about yet, and have a bit more money to put out, but till next month is a ASUS VE278Q 27" 1929 x 1080 2ms backlight LCD. Any suggestions about the 3 monitors with really high resolution and good quality would be a help if you know of any, and would be appreciated. Don't beat me up all at once, but if you do, I can take it. I'm just an old guy that wants a system that performs under ANY circumstances and the highest resolutions with everything maxed out. Money isn't a big issue, but I do have limits. Ok... let me have it... :) 
m
l
February 22, 2013 6:29:28 AM

TITAN FOR MULTIMONITOR NO DOUBT!
GTX 690 BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF TITAN ON SINGEL MONITOR GAMING.
680 Sucks, Get 7970 6gb for multimonitor 3gb for singel. Beats the crap out of 680.
If nvidia fan get 670's SLI instead of 680.
660TI's SLI beats Titan in a few tests 5760x1080! :D  (multimonitor)

m
l
February 22, 2013 8:40:38 AM

2960647,35,1831361 said:
I can just see the looks on your faces when I tell you my system configuration, and what I'll hear about it... but here goes... CPU - 3970X overclocked to 4.5 GHz- Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32 GIG of 2133 MHz RAM - Azza Genesis 9000 Case - 2- 240 GIG Intel 520 SSD's in RAID 0, 2 TB Caviar Black HDD - LG 14X internal Blue Ray Burner - Vigor iSURF HDD cooler - Xtreme Hydro II Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ XSPC RayStorm CPU Block,Dual D5 Pump & Reservoir,AX360 Radiator w/ .........

Showoff -.-
Dude keep this to the build thread, not her in a 690 Titan discussion thread -.-
It will only bother people instead of the wow respons your looking at.
(I wouldn't call this future proofing. Its far from future proofing and its also not possible. In 5 years a 4 way titan sli wil most likley give you 2 fps in the games that will be.
And the tech we use will be long forgotten.
This build is suited for normal Surround or eyeaffinity.
Why dont you try 3D surround with my modded skyrim and let me fix the ini settings. (reasonable settings) At best you'd get 15 Fps :p 
As there is no current setup able to run this exept perhaps the real nvidia Titan Monster Super future computer.
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:48:49 AM

My apologies Aleksanderdev... and the group. The post I left probably should have been in another topic area. But I did ask a question about 3 monitors that I thought that someone may have had a suggestion about. I assumed that you guys knew that the 690 will not let you overclock the monitors, where the Titan will, I thought I'd post it here. It wasn't meant to be "Showing Off" about anything. I expected some of you to tell me how crazy my choices were. But any suggestions about the 3 monitors with really high resolution and good quality would be a help if you know of any, and would be appreciated, especially if it's known that they will operate at a higher Hz than what it's rated at. Again, my apologies for posting off topic. It won't happen again.
m
l
February 22, 2013 11:54:20 AM

Rogue1 said:
My apologies Aleksanderdev... and the group. The post I left probably should have been in another topic area. But I did ask a question about 3 monitors that I thought that someone may have had a suggestion about. I assumed that you guys knew that the 690 will not let you overclock the monitors, where the Titan will, I thought I'd post it here. It wasn't meant to be "Showing Off" about anything. I expected some of you to tell me how crazy my choices were. But any suggestions about the 3 monitors with really high resolution and good quality would be a help if you know of any, and would be appreciated, especially if it's known that they will operate at a higher Hz than what it's rated at. Again, my apologies for posting off topic. It won't happen again.

Ill apologies to :p 
I tend to over react some times, didnt mean to go out so hard, Iv posted in wrong threads my self -.-

If you got the bucks for it and with your setup it would be a shame not to play with nvidia 3D surround or eyefinity.
Now 3D surround it very expensive and takes a huge toll on the hardware.

But as i have done I got 1 3D monitor (VG278H 27", a very nice monitor :D ) and 2 regular 2d monitors, i got the cheapest 27" from benQ GW2750.
Now with this monitors you can run what i can Surround Semi 3D.
2x2D monitors on the sides and the 3D in the middel.
Now this only works in DX9 mode and not DX11.
If this is becuse of my Semi 3d or if this applies to a full 3D setup im not sure.

Not that many games supports good 3d and surround. So to expand the games i can run with this I use:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist
Has a lot of easy fixes for most games that dosnt support 3D. (download and unzip the files you downloaded to the gamefolder)
For surround games i use Flawless WideScreen Software that fixes Field of View and many other things in many games.

So unless you got the power and buck for 3 3D monitors aswell as A titan or titan sli might be needed for full 3d surround
The Surround Semi 3D is a good way to make it a bit cheaper aswell as less demanding.
Works very well and elevates the gaming experience compared to a singe non 3d monitor to a whole different level.

m
l
March 2, 2013 12:16:15 PM

It has been about two weeks since I started this thread and the official
benchmarks are out.

I was going for the titan but after a series of phone calls between the shop manager and me he told me that the titan will need three weeks (from today) to arrive at the shop,

a quote from tom's review

Quote:
I gave you a handful of conclusions in Tuesday's story, and promised today’s data would back me up. Between then and now, I’ve run and re-run a bunch of data. How well do my first impressions carry through? Here’s what I said:

1) Pay the same $1,000 for a GeForce GTX 690 if you only want one dual-slot card and your case accommodates the long board. It remains the fastest graphics solution we’ve ever tested, so there's no real reason not to favor it over Titan.

We can stand by this one. Although it’s technically true that the GeForce GTX 690’s 2 GB per GPU potentially limits performance at high detail settings and resolutions, our tests at 5760x1200 didn’t turn up any troublesome numbers. Far Cry 3 was the one title that felt choppy—and that was the case even as far down as 2560x1600. I don’t think on-board memory is the issue.

And I still have a chance to change my mind.

I'd like to hear your opinions now since according to the benchmarks a single 690 beats a single Titan at FPS in every game, the only problem with the 690 is the frame latency.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2013 11:02:45 PM

Ultjack said:
It has been about two weeks since I started this thread and the official
benchmarks are out.

I was going for the titan but after a series of phone calls between the shop manager and me he told me that the titan will need three weeks (from today) to arrive at the shop,

a quote from tom's review

Quote:
I gave you a handful of conclusions in Tuesday's story, and promised today’s data would back me up. Between then and now, I’ve run and re-run a bunch of data. How well do my first impressions carry through? Here’s what I said:

1) Pay the same $1,000 for a GeForce GTX 690 if you only want one dual-slot card and your case accommodates the long board. It remains the fastest graphics solution we’ve ever tested, so there's no real reason not to favor it over Titan.

We can stand by this one. Although it’s technically true that the GeForce GTX 690’s 2 GB per GPU potentially limits performance at high detail settings and resolutions, our tests at 5760x1200 didn’t turn up any troublesome numbers. Far Cry 3 was the one title that felt choppy—and that was the case even as far down as 2560x1600. I don’t think on-board memory is the issue.

And I still have a chance to change my mind.

I'd like to hear your opinions now since according to the benchmarks a single 690 beats a single Titan at FPS in every game, the only problem with the 690 is the frame latency.

Take a look at this article also: PC PERSPECTIVE
They are using a new method in order to measure the experience the user has, than using only FRAPS.
The GTX690 did an extraordinary job even in 2560x1440 at frametime percentiles. The only case that Titan won was at 5760x1080 cause of GTX690 low memory (2GB per GPU).
m
l
March 4, 2013 6:09:15 AM

As i v said Titan is only for multi monitor gaming!
Buying titan for a singel monitor is insainly stupid as the 690 will give you loads of more power!
m
l
March 11, 2013 11:15:25 PM

Well it really depends on you. Are you willing to spend 1000 dollars on a graphics card? if so, then you might as well get a Titan and a couple more monitors. But if you're not a super hardcore gamer, and you just play some pretty average games on one screen, then i would stick with the 690.
Some more food for thought: if you want framerate, 690 supports SLI
if you want big screen, big power, but cant be stuffed buying and installing three 690's, then buy a Titan.
It's mainly up to how much money you're willing to spend, and wether you're actually going to carry it out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2013 7:23:48 AM

BigMack70 said:
There's potential downside either way. The 690 is faster but is multi-GPU with all the potential complications that brings. The Titan has no complications but is slower and stupidly overpriced.

Both are overkill for a single 60 Hz 1080p screen but if you're going 120 Hz 1080p / 1440p+ / multi-monitor then you're looking in the right place.

Really up to you what you want to do :) 

The real overkill is how we are thinking. Before 1,5 year I bought GTX570 and most people were saying that its an overkill for 1080p. Can anyone say the same right now?
Titan cannot even run today games like Crysis maxed out.

And this isn't even maxed out. (only 2xSMAA and motion blur on medium)
Imagine how hard it will be to max games in 1,5 years from now.
So unless he buys a gpu for only 1 year and changes it every year, nothing is an overkill.
m
l
March 12, 2013 9:23:15 AM

According to me, the titan is a glimpse of what the gtx 700 series would be capable of. I will recommend that u keep ur gtx 690 and when the 700 series releases give away ur card and get the gtx 780. According to me it would be faster than titan and would be around $500.
m
l
March 12, 2013 9:25:01 AM

I'm having a hard time deciding between a TITAN, SLI 680s (4GB per GPU), or a 690. I'm only going to be using 1 monitor--and I hear people saying, "Don't get a TITAN here!"--BUT I'm going to be playing on a 27", ultra-high-definition, 1440p monitor (the Dell U2713HW), so I'm wondering if the VRAM of the GTX 690 might limit me. Thoughts?

It's tough to pick between these 3 cards. The TITAN is a single GPU, which is supposedly smoother, and has the highest VRAM of any GPU; the GTX 690 is CLOSE to a single-GPU (does it really still suffer from SLI problems?) and is slightly faster than the TITAN; and the SLI GTX 680 4GB Classifieds are both ultra-fast AND have high VRAM (4GB, compared to 2GB for each GTX 690 GPU), but they are SLI, which supposedly causes some problems?

Is SLI really that complicated? (I'm not that computer literate, so keep that in mind.) My fear is that a GTX TITAN can't max out games on 1440p the same way that a GTX 690 and especially SLI GTX 680 4GB cards can, but it has that high VRAM. It's also much cheaper than the other options for me.

Here are the prices from where I plan to buy them (I'm putting them in a Maingear F131 computer, ordered from the Maingear site):

SLI GTX 680 4GB Classified Edition ($1,176)
GTX 690 ($990)
GTX TITAN ($880)

And, for fun:

CrossFire RADEON HD 7970s (non-GHz editions) ($800, plus they came with 6 great free games, including BioShock Inifite and Crysis 3, among others of similar caliber)

It's a very tough decision, and the only thing that's holding me back from ordering the computer now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2013 10:10:59 AM

ANIR0X2K00L said:
According to me, the titan is a glimpse of what the gtx 700 series would be capable of. I will recommend that u keep ur gtx 690 and when the 700 series releases give away ur card and get the gtx 780. According to me it would be faster than titan and would be around $500.

I thought that too but... Maxwell is not anywhere near. GTX7xx series will be GK114, GK116 etc etc. Around 20% performance jump according to numbers. So it will be an upgrade from GTX680 and not Titan. The real Titan upgrade come from Maxwell GTX880 which will have 3072 cores :) .
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:18:02 AM

Memnarchon said:
ANIR0X2K00L said:

I thought that too but... Maxwell is not anywhere near. GTX7xx series will be GK114, GK116 etc etc. Around 20% performance jump according to numbers. So it will be an upgrade from GTX680 and not Titan. The real Titan upgrade come from Maxwell GTX880 which will have 3072 cores :) .

Maybe, and as for today i woudnt recommend returning the gtx 690, sli does cause problems in new games and dosent scale that well, but games like bf3 scale great. Wait for 700 series to release and then we you can ask this same question again. Even if titan remains the fastest, it would be a hell of a lot cheaper then. Plus i really dont think u need anything above a gtx 690 as thats enough for today.
m
l
March 12, 2013 11:40:38 AM

BigMack70 said:
Memnarchon said:
ANIR0X2K00L said:

We don't know what the GTX 7xx series will be, when they will hit, or how powerful they will be. The gap between Titan and the 680 is not so big that it's guaranteed to be faster than the 780 (or whatever the next card gets called).

Memnarchon said:
The real overkill is how we are thinking. Before 1,5 year I bought GTX570 and most people were saying that its an overkill for 1080p. Can anyone say the same right now?
Titan cannot even run today games like Crysis maxed out.

And this isn't even maxed out. (only 2xSMAA and motion blur on medium)
Imagine how hard it will be to max games in 1,5 years from now.
So unless he buys a gpu for only 1 year and changes it every year, nothing is an overkill.

Overkill is an imprecise term, so that may be where our differences lie. In my mind, a GPU is "overkill" when a comparable experience is achievable by a card far less expensive. By that metric, the Titan/690/etc are overkill for 1080p.

Also future titles shouldn't be relevant to a GPU purchase. Buy what you need/want at the time of release and leave it at that. Worrying about the future is almost always foolish and often leads to bad purchases.

@OP I am not personally a fan of any of the Nvidia options for 1440p gaming at this moment. 680 4GB SLI is probably what I would feel most comfortable recommending if AMD isn't an option. The 690 doesn't currently have any Vram issues but it makes me nervous, and the Titan is just so overpriced that it's not recommendable IMO.

Uhh, save the cash and get a 1440p or 1600p moniter.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 12, 2013 11:42:57 AM

BigMack70 said:
Overkill is an imprecise term, so that may be where our differences lie. In my mind, a GPU is "overkill" when a comparable experience is achievable by a card far less expensive. By that metric, the Titan/690/etc are overkill for 1080p.

Also future titles shouldn't be relevant to a GPU purchase. Buy what you need/want at the time of release and leave it at that. Worrying about the future is almost always foolish and often leads to bad purchases.

Then the word you are looking for is "overpriced" my friend :) .
Also about the GTX7xx and GTX8xx, I am not guessing that the GTX7xx will not be GM100, I read it at techpowerup.
source: TPU
m
l
!