Directv Season Pass

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 22, 2005 8:43:36 PM

I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been asked. I
did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.

My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it takes
from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know why this would
happen?

More about : directv season pass

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:43:37 PM

Wait til you get a nice long list of season passes ;-)

It's normal for it to take a while, especially when moving priorities up
or down.

--
Ric Seyler
February 22, 2005 8:54:07 PM

* Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
> asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>
> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it
> takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know
> why this would happen?

It has lots of stuff to do when you make a change to that list. If you
had increased your drive size to say 120 gigs that time would go from
90 seconds to up to 5 minutes.

--
David
February 22, 2005 9:05:41 PM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:54:07 GMT
SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
> > asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
> >
> > My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it
> > takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know
> > why this would happen?
> >

> It has lots of stuff to do when you make a change to that list. If you
> had increased your drive size to say 120 gigs that time would go from
> 90 seconds to up to 5 minutes.

Which is why I now make all my changes via TivoWeb

-Dave
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:05:42 PM

"David Frascone" <dave@frascone.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:54:07 GMT
> SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
>
>> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>> > I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
>> > asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>> >
>> > My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it
>> > takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know
>> > why this would happen?
>> >

>> It has lots of stuff to do when you make a change to that list. If you
>> had increased your drive size to say 120 gigs that time would go from
>> 90 seconds to up to 5 minutes.
>>

> Which is why I now make all my changes via TivoWeb
>
> -Dave

Not sure about dtivo, but on my SA Series 2 it never takes that long, maybe
20-30 sec tops, usually less. I have 240 gb, 2 drives 120 each. It did slow
down when I added the 2nd drive, but not that much.

Rick
February 22, 2005 9:47:22 PM

* Rick S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Not sure about dtivo, but on my SA Series 2 it never takes that
> long, maybe 20-30 sec tops, usually less. I have 240 gb, 2 drives
> 120 each. It did slow down when I added the 2nd drive, but not
> that much.

Mine is a DTivo. But I recall hearing other complaints about this as
well when I first got mine so I wonder if recent upgrades to the PS
have sped that up on SA Tivos.

--
David
Anonymous

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>* Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
>> asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>>
>> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it
>> takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know
>> why this would happen?
>>

> It has lots of stuff to do when you make a change to that list. If you
> had increased your drive size to say 120 gigs that time would go from
> 90 seconds to up to 5 minutes.
>
> --
> David

Wow, five minutes. I guess I will have to be content with my 90 seconds. Do
you think the new software upgrade for Directv Tivo will help the time?
February 22, 2005 10:08:25 PM

* Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Wow, five minutes. I guess I will have to be content with my 90
> seconds. Do you think the new software upgrade for Directv Tivo
> will help the time?

What new upgrade? I have had the problem for almost 2 years now, I just
move my season passes before I go to bed now so I dont have to worry
about it.

--
David
Anonymous

In article <cbKSd.3426$873.126@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
j.quinn@owegony.net says...
> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been asked. I
> did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>
> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it takes
> from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know why this would
> happen?

No, but the more season passes one has, the longer it takes to make
changes. I have to wait 30 minutes or so when I reorder my season passes
(which is why I always do it right before I go to sleep). I have around
80 entries.
February 22, 2005 10:09:32 PM

* theyak Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> In article <cbKSd.3426$873.126@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> j.quinn@owegony.net says...
>> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
>> asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>>
>> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list
>> it takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone
>> know why this would happen?
>>

> No, but the more season passes one has, the longer it takes to
> make changes. I have to wait 30 minutes or so when I reorder my
> season passes (which is why I always do it right before I go to
> sleep). I have around 80 entries.

DAMN! 30 minutes? I have about ~75 entires and it never takes that
long.

--
David
Anonymous

Here is the link to the software upgrade news.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html

>* Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> Wow, five minutes. I guess I will have to be content with my 90
>> seconds. Do you think the new software upgrade for Directv Tivo
>> will help the time?
>
> What new upgrade? I have had the problem for almost 2 years now, I just
> move my season passes before I go to bed now so I dont have to worry
> about it.
>
> --
> David
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:14:44 AM

"Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@owegony.net> wrote:

> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been asked. I
> did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
>
> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list it takes
> from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone know why this would
> happen?

If you have 50 items in it that can happen. Longer lists with bigger
hard drives, slow things down.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:07:41 AM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:39:01 GMT
SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:

> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
>
> Soooooweeeeet!
>
> It's about time!
>
> Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager, still
> nice additions for us.

Hmm, it looks like the 4.0 stuff, without HMO. I think I'm going to continue my plan of just doing the 4.0 upgrade myself, and ignoring directv's upgrade.

-Dave
February 23, 2005 1:16:40 AM

* David Frascone Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Hmm, it looks like the 4.0 stuff, without HMO. I think I'm going
> to continue my plan of just doing the 4.0 upgrade myself, and
> ignoring directv's upgrade.

I see Sypheed still hasnt fixed their Line length problem. Too bad, I
sort of liked it as a combo News/Mail reader when I last tried it, but
I cant give up slrn ;)

--
David
Anonymous

In article <Xns96058642E2B85Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130>,
arcade.master@googlemail.net says...
> * theyak Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > In article <cbKSd.3426$873.126@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > j.quinn@owegony.net says...
> >> I am new to this group and I apologize if this question has been
> >> asked. I did a search on Google groups and found nothing there.
> >>
> >> My questions is: When I do anything with my "Season Pass" list
> >> it takes from 90 seconds to two minutes to update. Does anyone
> >> know why this would happen?
> >>

> > No, but the more season passes one has, the longer it takes to
> > make changes. I have to wait 30 minutes or so when I reorder my
> > season passes (which is why I always do it right before I go to
> > sleep). I have around 80 entries.
> >

> DAMN! 30 minutes? I have about ~75 entires and it never takes that
> long.

Well, I just did it (CSI reruns were messing up my Battlestar Galactica)
and it was more like 15.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:28:36 AM

In article <20050222140713.3bfb25dc@linux.airespace.com>,
dave@frascone.com says...

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:39:01 GMT
> SINNER <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote:
>
> > * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> >
> > > http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
> >
> > Soooooweeeeet!
> >
> > It's about time!
> >
> > Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager, still
> > nice additions for us.
>

> Hmm, it looks like the 4.0 stuff, without HMO. I think I'm going to continue my plan of just doing the 4.0 upgrade myself, and ignoring directv's upgrade.
>
> -Dave

I have 3.1.1xxx. Is that woefully out of date, or are they just making a
big jump to 6.2?
February 23, 2005 3:40:40 AM

"theyak" <yak@dev.null> wrote in message

> I have 3.1.1xxx. Is that woefully out of date, or are they just making a
> big jump to 6.2?

Big jump
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:22:26 PM

> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
> > http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
>
> Soooooweeeeet!
>
> It's about time!
>
> Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager, still
> nice additions for us.

Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and
HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at this time.

Brad H
February 23, 2005 11:35:44 PM

* Brad Houser Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>> > http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
>>
>> Soooooweeeeet!
>>
>> It's about time!
>>
>> Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager,
>> still nice additions for us.
>
> Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
> No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES
> GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at
> this time.

Saw that, not a problem for me.

--
David
Anonymous

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message news:Xns960694E0D1F96Louiscypherhellorg@140.99.99.130...
> * Brad Houser Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>

> > "SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message

> >> Soooooweeeeet!
> >>
> >> It's about time!
> >>
> >> Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager,
> >> still nice additions for us.
> >
> > Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
> > No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES
> > GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at
> > this time.
>
> Saw that, not a problem for me.

Note the words "will not .... at this time". That doesn't imply never for other DVR models.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 5:35:22 PM

GMAN wrote:

> Call me dumb , but is the Hughes SD-DVR40 a GXCEBOT unit?

The SD-DVR40 is a Series 2.
The GXCEBOT is a Series 1. That's why the GXCEBOT won't get upgraded.
February 25, 2005 1:21:37 AM

In article <cvil4q$svd$1@news01.intel.com>, "Brad Houser" <bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:

>"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>> * Joan Quinn Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>
>> > http://www.directv.com/see/landing/dvr_upgrade.html
>>
>> Soooooweeeeet!
>>
>> It's about time!
>>
>> Sounds like that may add some speed ups but not the SP manager, still
>> nice additions for us.
>
>Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
>No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and
>HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at this time.
>

>Brad H

Call me dumb , but is the Hughes SD-DVR40 a GXCEBOT unit?
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:12:56 AM

> If you have 50 items in it that can happen. Longer lists with bigger
> hard drives, slow things down.

Considering the 'juggling act' it has to perform it's not a surprise that it
takes "some" time. When moving things around in season passes it has to not
only check for conflicts but it also has to make sure there's enough free
space. Working its way back over the previously recorded messages and
deleting what can be deleted to make sure enough can be recorded. It really
becomes complicated when there are a lot of overlaps/conflicts.

That said its still way to f'ing slow.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:15:53 AM

wkearney99 wrote:
> > If you have 50 items in it that can happen. Longer lists with
bigger
> > hard drives, slow things down.
>
> Considering the 'juggling act' it has to perform it's not a surprise
that it
> takes "some" time. When moving things around in season passes it has
to not
> only check for conflicts but it also has to make sure there's enough
free
> space. Working its way back over the previously recorded messages
and
> deleting what can be deleted to make sure enough can be recorded. It
really
> becomes complicated when there are a lot of overlaps/conflicts.

A change to the season passes doesn't involve free space at all - that
is a completely different subroutine. Changing your season passes
around ONLY affects your ToDo List - your shows do not get deleted
based on any type of priority, it is a purely FIFO system, with the
minor exception of the 'how many to keep' limit which is only checked
when recording a show so isn't related either.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:45:56 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 at 11:12 GMT, <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> If you have 50 items in it that can happen. Longer lists with bigger
>> hard drives, slow things down.
>
> Considering the 'juggling act' it has to perform it's not a surprise that it
> takes "some" time. When moving things around in season passes it has to not
> only check for conflicts but it also has to make sure there's enough free
> space. Working its way back over the previously recorded messages and
> deleting what can be deleted to make sure enough can be recorded. It really
> becomes complicated when there are a lot of overlaps/conflicts.

Agreed, but there's no reason I can think of to do it as the foreground task.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

I have a SONY SAT-T60 myself,and I would just as soon they NOT try and
upgrade the software version.Awhile back,my receiver developed a MINOR
software bug (the one where it said only partial guide listings were
available;in actuality they were all available).They tried to fix it in
the first attempt,and created a second firmware bug in the process (It
deleted all the logo iconography and created a minor screen freeze
problem).On the SECOND revision of the first fix for the original
problem,they finally restored the unit to "normal" operation.Both were
minor glitches,but these units do not seem to accept upgrades well in my
opinion.This is just a casual observance by this poster.
It is no wonder to me that they want to take extra time with
re-augmenting feature(s) and processes with these units.
To me,"......not at this time" is DirecTV 'codespeak' for NEVER.....
!