Interpreting Benchmark results?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
In the market for a new laptop. The machines on my list are pretty much all the same, except for the GPU. I finally found a benchmark list that included all the ones I'm considering, but I'm honestly not sure how to interpret the results. Anyone mind giving me a bit of direction? I'll be playing things like Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3... Anyway, here is an image of the results:

6zu0dc.png

So what would you guys say to these? The GTX 675MX is apparently the best, but what about the others?

Thanks!

Solution
Well the Kepler cards are going to be stronger then the Fermi cards as the graph shows so that should be a start. Although keep in mind that you are looking at synthetic benchmarks you may want to look towards specific benchmarks with the games you play. Borderlands 2 won't be an issue and neither will Skyrim. Battlefield 3 I'm sure any of those high end chips would get the job done. The only game I worry about is Far Cry 3. I would perhaps look towards Far Cry 3 numbers if you like the game.
Well the Kepler cards are going to be stronger then the Fermi cards as the graph shows so that should be a start. Although keep in mind that you are looking at synthetic benchmarks you may want to look towards specific benchmarks with the games you play. Borderlands 2 won't be an issue and neither will Skyrim. Battlefield 3 I'm sure any of those high end chips would get the job done. The only game I worry about is Far Cry 3. I would perhaps look towards Far Cry 3 numbers if you like the game.

Solution

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Aah, I was wondering what Fermi and Kepler and all that meant exactly! It's honestly been a very long time since I shopped this actively for a gaming-intensive computer (let's put it this way. Last time I went with a top end card, the Radeon 9800 Pro :p ), so I'm way behind the times. I didn't think to check on each individual game though, so I'll definitely be taking a look at that! Thanks for the tip!

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Haha, yeah, I thought about just buying a cheaper, small laptop for a couple hundred bucks to take with me for internet at school and all that (college student, walk about a mile to school each day) and building a nice desktop with the rest of the $1000 I'd have left, but the thing is I really prefer taking my games elsewhere, oddly enough. Over summer I'd head to the local Panera Bread to sit down and play Skyrim but at home I'd never think to touch it :p

Dresgeve8710

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
I actually talked a friend of mine into it as well one night. Ended up causing the employees (who are also mostly college students in the evening) to start talking about Mario and such behind the counter too, haha. It's amazingly fun.

Although, I never play Amnesia in public. The screaming would worry the other patrons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS