Does it make a big difference?

Max_Xman

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I recently asked for advice here about purchasing a Radeon HD 7870. The card shipped today and so far I'm more than happy with it. My only complaint was that it doesn't have a lifetime warranty (which is what they used to have) but based on the product number and what I read > http://videocardz.com/30376/xfx-to-discontinue-double-lifetime-warranty-for-new-radeon-cardsit's only two years. That's not really a big deal form me as I will upgrade by then.

My question though is whether or not there is a big difference between the card that I bought and between the one that I actually meant to buy.

My intention was to buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150605&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Cards-_-XFX-_-14150605

but instead I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MJGMXQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=062ST3PZ4DJV4JQPDE9P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

A silly mistake, I know but I have an Amazon Prime membership and clicked that card when it showed up.

Based on what I saw the only difference would be the fact that the one I purchased doesn't have a second fan.

Which brings me to my last question. Do you guys think that there would be a significant temperature decease with the second fan or are we talking about a minor difference here?

Also, my assumption is that if I ever wanted to overclock it a second fan would provide better cooling, thus making the whole overclocking process safer.

I'm obviously not going to bother returning it if a second fan is the only difference, but wanted to get a second opinion on this.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
The cooler is different, most obviously by having a single fan (but the rest of the cooler is different too).

Expect it to either run hotter OR make more noise at a particular clock. I suspect it won't be a noticeable difference at stock clocks, but your card is probably less suited for overclocking (particularly if you want a quiet system).

Max_Xman

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Thanks, in that case it's a keeper. I mean it stays at 38°C when idle and goes up to 50°C when playing most of my games at the highest settings. My only concern was that other specs may have been different, but if it's not the case, then I don't see a point in returning it.

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
50°C when gaming sounds a little low to me. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it running at low temps, on the contrary. However the tradeoff usually is a much louder fan. So you could download a software and make a fan profile that's a bit easier on the ears if you want.

No, the GHz edition is the normal 7870. There is no non-GHz 7870 (well, apart from the 7870 XT that is really a crippled 7950).

hizodge

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Don't they all? And they are fail most of the time. If I have a graphics card with 2-3 years of warranty then of course the manufacturer wants me to run it as low as possible to increase its lifecycle.

But if I really wanted to listen to vacuum cleaners while gaming, I'd hire a cleaner.

It's pretty confusing because they made a second, higher-clocked version of the 7970 and called it the GHz edition. Whereas the 7870 was just a GHz edition all along (its stock GPU clock is 1 GHz).
And even after that mess, they felt it was necessary to add the 7870 XT which is actually not a 7870 at all. :sarcastic: