Sign in with
Your question

Does it make a big difference?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2013 9:20:32 PM

I recently asked for advice here about purchasing a Radeon HD 7870. The card shipped today and so far I'm more than happy with it. My only complaint was that it doesn't have a lifetime warranty (which is what they used to have) but based on the product number and what I read > http://videocardz.com/30376/xfx-to-discontinue-double-l...'s only two years. That's not really a big deal form me as I will upgrade by then.

My question though is whether or not there is a big difference between the card that I bought and between the one that I actually meant to buy.

My intention was to buy this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but instead I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MJGMXQ/ref=s9_simh...

A silly mistake, I know but I have an Amazon Prime membership and clicked that card when it showed up.

Based on what I saw the only difference would be the fact that the one I purchased doesn't have a second fan.

Which brings me to my last question. Do you guys think that there would be a significant temperature decease with the second fan or are we talking about a minor difference here?

Also, my assumption is that if I ever wanted to overclock it a second fan would provide better cooling, thus making the whole overclocking process safer.

I'm obviously not going to bother returning it if a second fan is the only difference, but wanted to get a second opinion on this.

More about : make big difference

a c 84 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 9:41:51 PM

The cooler is different, most obviously by having a single fan (but the rest of the cooler is different too).

Expect it to either run hotter OR make more noise at a particular clock. I suspect it won't be a noticeable difference at stock clocks, but your card is probably less suited for overclocking (particularly if you want a quiet system).
m
l
Related resources
February 19, 2013 9:45:38 PM

Thanks, in that case it's a keeper. I mean it stays at 38°C when idle and goes up to 50°C when playing most of my games at the highest settings. My only concern was that other specs may have been different, but if it's not the case, then I don't see a point in returning it.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 9:48:53 PM

Well the Ghz edition is essentially a factory overclock of the 7870 and if you are doing just fine with a normal 7870 I'd keep it. If the card is running cool, isn't very loud and doing what you need it to do then by all means yes keep it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 9:52:56 PM

50°C when gaming sounds a little low to me. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it running at low temps, on the contrary. However the tradeoff usually is a much louder fan. So you could download a software and make a fan profile that's a bit easier on the ears if you want.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 9:57:16 PM

That's a possibility as well. However, there is a good chance his card has a built in fan curve.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:03:53 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well the Ghz edition is essentially a factory overclock of the 7870 and if you are doing just fine with a normal 7870 I'd keep it. If the card is running cool, isn't very loud and doing what you need it to do then by all means yes keep it.

No, the GHz edition is the normal 7870. There is no non-GHz 7870 (well, apart from the 7870 XT that is really a crippled 7950).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:04:37 PM

Don't they all? And they are fail most of the time. If I have a graphics card with 2-3 years of warranty then of course the manufacturer wants me to run it as low as possible to increase its lifecycle.

But if I really wanted to listen to vacuum cleaners while gaming, I'd hire a cleaner.
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:10:58 PM

Sakkura said:
No, the GHz edition is the normal 7870. There is no non-GHz 7870 (well, apart from the 7870 XT that is really a crippled 7950).

Gotcha good to know was under the impression there was one.
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:21:15 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Gotcha good to know was under the impression there was one.

It's pretty confusing because they made a second, higher-clocked version of the 7970 and called it the GHz edition. Whereas the 7870 was just a GHz edition all along (its stock GPU clock is 1 GHz).
And even after that mess, they felt it was necessary to add the 7870 XT which is actually not a 7870 at all. :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 19, 2013 10:27:48 PM

Do you know is the 7870 card just a binned version of the 7850?
m
l
a c 84 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 8:14:45 AM

The 7850 uses a cut-down version of the same GPU as the 7870 (Pitcairn).
m
l
!