Sign in with
Your question

Monitor "Overclocking"?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 19, 2013 10:34:03 PM

After reading up on the Geforce Titan's feature of "overclocking" the monitor, I read that monitor overclocking has been done for years.

My "overclocking" I mean messing with something to achieve refresh rates of 70-80Hz on monitors that normally run at only 60Hz. Apparently Korean monitors will go to 100-120Hz.

The problem is, I haven't actually FOUND anything on how to do it, really. Just vague questions about it and vague answers.

"Just tweak your EDID" Okay, how? In what way? What changes? What timings?

Apparently there's stuff about polarity, horizontal and vertical pixel syncing, extra pixels, and a whole mess of other things, but there's no comprehensive tutorial. It's just fragmented across the internet like some censored FBI document or something. But apparently it's quite common to do.

So does anyone know where I could get a comprehensive tutorial on how to push my refresh rate above spec?

More about : monitor overclocking

February 21, 2013 11:38:59 AM

Ahh, So it really is that straightforward! I thought there was more to it than simply making custom resolutions.

I got up to 100 Hz stable on my laptop, 120Hz with glitches.

My desktop hasn't been so lucky. My Two Samsung monitors were only getting about 65Hz, if that. SO I figured I must have been doing something wrong.
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2013 5:45:17 PM

Oh, Oh!!

Quick tip for everyone who runs into this thread:

You WILL absolutely want the NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher:

Apparently NVIDIA's drivers pose a limit to the maximum pixel clock allowed.

For instance, my Samsung SyncMaster 2343 was only getting 2048x1152@63Hz before it would mess up. After applying the patch, I was able to get up to 70-75 just fine. (Minus the issues I'll mention below.)

So basically:

-Patch the pixel clock limit.

-Go to "customize" in the resolutions tab of the NV Control Panel

-Try 1Hz more, test it, if it works, hit "NO" when it asks if you want to save.

-Keep going higher and higher until it doesn't work right. Then save the highest refresh rate that worked.
m
l
February 22, 2013 5:48:48 PM

But here's the issue I'm having with my monitor, if anyone knows how to solve this:

I get up to nearly 75Hz just fine on the SyncMaster 2343.

However, it gives me this message for anything above 60Hz: "Not optimum mode".

I can get rid of the message, the problem is that when the monitor is in a "non-optimal" mode for about 20 seconds, the monitor just shuts off or tries a different input.

Like this:

Is there any way to force it to stay at whatever resolution?
m
l
!