Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

problems recording to VCR from Tivo

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
February 23, 2005 4:34:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I'm trying to transfer a show from my Tivo to a VHS tape. I've never done
this before and didn't have any luck when I just tried it. I'm not sure if
I connected everything correctly. Usually the VCR is hooked up to a
different TV. All I did was connect some RCA cables from the Tivo's Line
Out connectors to the VCR's Line In connectors. I didn't connect the VCR to
the TV itself, since I didn't think that was necessary. Is that accurate?
Anyway, then I hit record and selected Record to VCR. When I played the
tape back (on a VCR that's connected a to a TV, obviously) it was blank.
Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:34:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Nikko wrote:
> I'm trying to transfer a show from my Tivo to a VHS tape. I've never
done
> this before and didn't have any luck when I just tried it. I'm not
sure if
> I connected everything correctly. Usually the VCR is hooked up to a
> different TV. All I did was connect some RCA cables from the Tivo's
Line
> Out connectors to the VCR's Line In connectors. I didn't connect the
VCR to
> the TV itself, since I didn't think that was necessary. Is that
accurate?
> Anyway, then I hit record and selected Record to VCR. When I played
the
> tape back (on a VCR that's connected a to a TV, obviously) it was
blank.
> Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'd appreciate any
feedback.
> Thanks.

You probably just hooked it up wrong or set it up wrong.

Plug your VCR into a TV and don't try recording until you can see the
TiVo output going through the VCR and being displayed on your TV.

Once you can see the TiVo output on TV through the VCR, everything
should work dandy for you.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:51:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <z4RSd.3661$873.2862@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
nothanks@yourmomma.com says...
> I'm trying to transfer a show from my Tivo to a VHS tape. I've never done
> this before and didn't have any luck when I just tried it. I'm not sure if
> I connected everything correctly. Usually the VCR is hooked up to a
> different TV. All I did was connect some RCA cables from the Tivo's Line
> Out connectors to the VCR's Line In connectors. I didn't connect the VCR to
> the TV itself, since I didn't think that was necessary. Is that accurate?
> Anyway, then I hit record and selected Record to VCR. When I played the
> tape back (on a VCR that's connected a to a TV, obviously) it was blank.
> Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'd appreciate any feedback.
> Thanks.
>
>
>


You probably had the vcr on the wrong input/channel. Run a coax to the
tv so you can be sure it's working properly. Or just record a few
seconds of live tv to make sure you have the correct line-in selected.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:16:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

and don't select the SAVE TO VCR option on the Now Playing List. Press
RECORD on the VCR yourself, then PLAY on TiVo.


"Nikko" <nothanks@yourmomma.com> wrote in message
news:z4RSd.3661$873.2862@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I'm trying to transfer a show from my Tivo to a VHS tape. I've never done
> this before and didn't have any luck when I just tried it. I'm not sure
> if I connected everything correctly. Usually the VCR is hooked up to a
> different TV. All I did was connect some RCA cables from the Tivo's Line
> Out connectors to the VCR's Line In connectors. I didn't connect the VCR
> to the TV itself, since I didn't think that was necessary. Is that
> accurate? Anyway, then I hit record and selected Record to VCR. When I
> played the tape back (on a VCR that's connected a to a TV, obviously) it
> was blank. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'd appreciate any
> feedback. Thanks.
>
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:07:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Logan Spitznauer wrote:
> and don't select the SAVE TO VCR option on the Now Playing List. Press
> RECORD on the VCR yourself, then PLAY on TiVo.

SAVE TO VCR is better.
*) No green line when PLAY is pressed.
*) Black screen with just the show info at the start.
*) Disables remote-control functions what would otherwise mess up
the recording when pressed accidentally.

-Joe
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:04:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Nikko" <nothanks@yourmomma.com> wrote in message
news:z4RSd.3661$873.2862@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I'm trying to transfer a show from my Tivo to a VHS tape. I've never done
> this before and didn't have any luck when I just tried it. I'm not sure
> if I connected everything correctly. Usually the VCR is hooked up to a
> different TV. All I did was connect some RCA cables from the Tivo's Line
> Out connectors to the VCR's Line In connectors. I didn't connect the VCR
> to the TV itself, since I didn't think that was necessary. Is that
> accurate? Anyway, then I hit record and selected Record to VCR. When I
> played the tape back (on a VCR that's connected a to a TV, obviously) it
> was blank. Any ideas on what I might have done wrong? I'd appreciate any
> feedback. Thanks.

My guess is that there are 2 line inputs on the VCR, one on the rear panel
and one on the front panel. You probably called up the wrong one and didn't
know it because you didn't monitor the output of the VCR.

Norm Strong
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I did not know that.

>
> SAVE TO VCR is better.
> *) No green line when PLAY is pressed.
> *) Black screen with just the show info at the start.
> *) Disables remote-control functions what would otherwise mess up
> the recording when pressed accidentally.
>
> -Joe
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 4:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Joe Smith" <joe@inwap.com> wrote in message
news:vsGdnUVh-66P74HfRVn-oQ@comcast.com...
> Logan Spitznauer wrote:
>> and don't select the SAVE TO VCR option on the Now Playing List. Press
>> RECORD on the VCR yourself, then PLAY on TiVo.
>
> SAVE TO VCR is better.
> *) No green line when PLAY is pressed.
> *) Black screen with just the show info at the start.
> *) Disables remote-control functions what would otherwise mess up
> the recording when pressed accidentally.
>
> -Joe

I agree I use "Save to VCR" a lot and for movies without commercial I set
the VCR to the two hour mode and the quality of the tape is excellent. I
hooked it up myself and had to do some troubleshooting. I finally found out
that my VCR had to be set to Line I and the TV Input to Video three. Of
course other units will have different settings but my point is it takes
trial and error. If you think you have the setting check a few minutes on
tape. If you turn the VCR off and DVD on you will see that one of the inputs
will have no feed. Turn on the VCR and if you see the picture after you turn
it on have the right input.

Joan
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:16:41 GMT, "Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@owegony.net>
wrote:

>I agree I use "Save to VCR" a lot and for movies without commercial I set
>the VCR to the two hour mode and the quality of the tape is excellent. I
>hooked it up myself and had to do some troubleshooting. I finally found out
>that my VCR had to be set to Line I and the TV Input to Video three. Of
>course other units will have different settings but my point is it takes
>trial and error. If you think you have the setting check a few minutes on
>tape. If you turn the VCR off and DVD on you will see that one of the inputs
>will have no feed. Turn on the VCR and if you see the picture after you turn
>it on have the right input.



I wish more people were like you.
!