Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Skipping commercials when viewing Tivo recordings on laptop

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 8:54:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
for when I travel.
The problem is it seems that these recordings are encrypted as they
only work with Windows Media player. But Windows media player doesnt
allow you to skip commercials easily. For some reason FF buttons are
disabled. Is there a plugin or other media player that would play Tivo
records that also make it easier to zip through commericials?
Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 10:35:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Scooby wrote:
>
> What is the file format of a clip that comes from TTG?

encrypted MPEG2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 11:28:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
> for when I travel.
> For some reason FF buttons are disabled.

The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.

The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
commercials.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 11:33:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

wkearney99 wrote:
>>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>>for when I travel.
>>For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>
>
> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>
> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
> commercials.
>
>

Not necessarily true. TTG files (.tivo) can be transcoded to .mpg files
by using the instructions at www.evillabs.net/tivo. Once in .mpg
format, any normal video editing program will allow you to snip out the
commercials.

Randy S.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 12:26:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:28:39 -0500, wkearney99 wrote:

> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
> commercials.

Actually, I think I've read that once you unencrypt the ".tivo" file from
TTG, TyTools will happily edit the file. ;) 

--
Lenroc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 12:43:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:VrmdnUBHppEaS4DfRVn-hA@speakeasy.net...
> > I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
> > for when I travel.
> > For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>
> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>
> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another
playback
> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
> commercials.
>
>

What is the file format of a clip that comes from TTG?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 2:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

piclistguy@yahoo.com wrote:

>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>for when I travel.
>The problem is it seems that these recordings are encrypted as they
>only work with Windows Media player. But Windows media player doesnt
>allow you to skip commercials easily. For some reason FF buttons are
>disabled. Is there a plugin or other media player that would play Tivo
>records that also make it easier to zip through commericials?

I have only a Series 1 but my brother has a Series 2 so we are playing a
bit with TiVo-to-Go. He brought over a short ".tivo" clip he had recorded
and exported to his PC. I downloaded and installed the TiVo software and
installed it with his MAK, etc. I can play the files in either WMP 10 or in
Zoom Player. The latter is powerful and highly customizable. I have 10, 30
and 120 second skips, FF/RW, frame advance, keyboard adjustment of
brightness, contrast, saturation, and hue... Great stuff. Try it out:

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/index.shtml

(But I can't get audio to play in either WMP or Zoom Player. WMP
File/Properties merely refers to MPEG Audio codec so I have no idea what
codec may be the problem. I have updated WMP, as well as PowerDVD but still
no sound. Any suggestions?)

--

John Briggs (jeb@bbz.not-this.net Phoenix, Arizona, USA)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 24, 2005 5:08:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@hotmail.com> writes:

> > I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
> > for when I travel.
> > For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>
> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.

Wrong.

It's because of codec issues. Some codecs support the FF button,
some don't. Some codecs support the slider, some don't.

> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
> commercials.

No, you're not.

--
Rich Carreiro rlcarr@animato.arlington.ma.us
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 1:06:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <cvkl33$iec$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Randy S. wrote:
> wkearney99 wrote:
>>>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>>>for when I travel.
>>>For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>>
>>
>> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>>
>> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
>> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
>> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
>> commercials.
>>
>>
>
> Not necessarily true. TTG files (.tivo) can be transcoded to .mpg files
> by using the instructions at www.evillabs.net/tivo. Once in .mpg
> format, any normal video editing program will allow you to snip out the
> commercials.
>
> Randy S.

What software are you using to edit the .mpg files? MyDVD is the only
software I've tried that didn't produce errors, with my Pinnacle
software the audio and video are out of sync, with Roxio I got about 2
minutes of audio and then the rest was silence, Movie Star just choked
on the file altogether. I'd rather not spend *yet another* $50 on video
software if I don't have too. Any suggestions (Win-D'oh!s or Linux)
appreciated.

Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 1:19:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Spider Dawg" <Spidergawdnospam@Comcast.net> wrote in message
news:slrnd1t96n.1lp.Spidergawdnospam@linux.local...
> In article <cvkl33$iec$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Randy S. wrote:
>> wkearney99 wrote:
>>>>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>>>>for when I travel.
>>>>For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>>>
>>>
>>> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>>>
>>> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
>>> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another playback
>>> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
>>> commercials.
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Not necessarily true. TTG files (.tivo) can be transcoded to .mpg files
>> by using the instructions at www.evillabs.net/tivo. Once in .mpg
>> format, any normal video editing program will allow you to snip out the
>> commercials.
>>
>> Randy S.
>
> What software are you using to edit the .mpg files? MyDVD is the only
> software I've tried that didn't produce errors, with my Pinnacle
> software the audio and video are out of sync, with Roxio I got about 2
> minutes of audio and then the rest was silence, Movie Star just choked
> on the file altogether. I'd rather not spend *yet another* $50 on video
> software if I don't have too. Any suggestions (Win-D'oh!s or Linux)
> appreciated.
>
> Jim
Jim,
As someone mentioned earlier go to this website and there are
some instructions on how to decode the files without using the
MyDVD software. There is also a thread called Tivo To Go
Mpeg2 Decrypting that explains what you need to do also.
The website is a little confusing but with a little playing around
and looking at the other websites mentioned it becomes really
clear and easy to do.
John
http://www.evillabs.net/tivo/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 1:24:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"John Graham" <jgraham10@cox.net> wrote in message
news:7HxTd.18494$yr.7396@okepread05...
>
> "Spider Dawg" <Spidergawdnospam@Comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:slrnd1t96n.1lp.Spidergawdnospam@linux.local...
>> In article <cvkl33$iec$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Randy S. wrote:
>>> wkearney99 wrote:
>>>>>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>>>>>for when I travel.
>>>>>For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>>>>
>>>> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
>>>> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another
>>>> playback
>>>> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
>>>> commercials.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Not necessarily true. TTG files (.tivo) can be transcoded to .mpg files
>>> by using the instructions at www.evillabs.net/tivo. Once in .mpg
>>> format, any normal video editing program will allow you to snip out the
>>> commercials.
>>>
>>> Randy S.
>>
>> What software are you using to edit the .mpg files? MyDVD is the only
>> software I've tried that didn't produce errors, with my Pinnacle
>> software the audio and video are out of sync, with Roxio I got about 2
>> minutes of audio and then the rest was silence, Movie Star just choked
>> on the file altogether. I'd rather not spend *yet another* $50 on video
>> software if I don't have too. Any suggestions (Win-D'oh!s or Linux)
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Jim
> Jim,
> As someone mentioned earlier go to this website and there are
> some instructions on how to decode the files without using the
> MyDVD software. There is also a thread called Tivo To Go
> Mpeg2 Decrypting that explains what you need to do also.
> The website is a little confusing but with a little playing around
> and looking at the other websites mentioned it becomes really
> clear and easy to do.
> John
> http://www.evillabs.net/tivo/
>
>
Ignore should have read the post better must be getting tired.
Are you using MyDVD to decode the programs?
If so try the other way and see if you have the same problems.
I have yet to take and transfer what .mpeg files I have to my
main computer so that I can play with editing the commercials
out and then saving to dvd.
Maybe I will get a chance this weekend to play and see what
happens on my end.
Sorry for not reading the post and realizing what you were
talking about.
John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 10:20:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> What software are you using to edit the .mpg files? MyDVD is the only
> software I've tried that didn't produce errors, with my Pinnacle
> software the audio and video are out of sync, with Roxio I got about 2
> minutes of audio and then the rest was silence, Movie Star just choked
> on the file altogether. I'd rather not spend *yet another* $50 on video
> software if I don't have too. Any suggestions (Win-D'oh!s or Linux)
> appreciated.
>
> Jim

Actually, that's a good question, and ironically I posted nearly the
same one to the group a couple days ago. Didn't get any responses though.

Randy S.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2005 8:04:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <nMxTd.18495$yr.14960@okepread05>, John Graham wrote:
>
> "John Graham" <jgraham10@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:7HxTd.18494$yr.7396@okepread05...
>>
>> "Spider Dawg" <Spidergawdnospam@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:slrnd1t96n.1lp.Spidergawdnospam@linux.local...
>>> In article <cvkl33$iec$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu>, Randy S. wrote:
>>>> wkearney99 wrote:
>>>>>>I just upgraded my Tivo unit to allow transfer of programs to my laptop
>>>>>>for when I travel.
>>>>>>For some reason FF buttons are disabled.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> The 'for some reason' is commercials pay the costs. TANSTAAFL.
>>>>>
>>>>> The other alternative is to use things like the tytools hacks to pull the
>>>>> media off the Tivo and then use the PC to transcode it into another
>>>>> playback
>>>>> format. If you want the convenience of TTG you're stuck with the
>>>>> commercials.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Not necessarily true. TTG files (.tivo) can be transcoded to .mpg files
>>>> by using the instructions at www.evillabs.net/tivo. Once in .mpg
>>>> format, any normal video editing program will allow you to snip out the
>>>> commercials.
>>>>
>>>> Randy S.
>>>
>>> What software are you using to edit the .mpg files? MyDVD is the only
>>> software I've tried that didn't produce errors, with my Pinnacle
>>> software the audio and video are out of sync, with Roxio I got about 2
>>> minutes of audio and then the rest was silence, Movie Star just choked
>>> on the file altogether. I'd rather not spend *yet another* $50 on video
>>> software if I don't have too. Any suggestions (Win-D'oh!s or Linux)
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Jim
>> Jim,
>> As someone mentioned earlier go to this website and there are
>> some instructions on how to decode the files without using the
>> MyDVD software. There is also a thread called Tivo To Go
>> Mpeg2 Decrypting that explains what you need to do also.
>> The website is a little confusing but with a little playing around
>> and looking at the other websites mentioned it becomes really
>> clear and easy to do.
>> John
>> http://www.evillabs.net/tivo/
>>
>>
> Ignore should have read the post better must be getting tired.
> Are you using MyDVD to decode the programs?
> If so try the other way and see if you have the same problems.
> I have yet to take and transfer what .mpeg files I have to my
> main computer so that I can play with editing the commercials
> out and then saving to dvd.
> Maybe I will get a chance this weekend to play and see what
> happens on my end.
> Sorry for not reading the post and realizing what you were
> talking about.
> John
>

I'm not sure if I was clear on what I've been doing. I've burned close
to 20 DVDs using the trial version of MyDVD, all of which play fine (or
at least good enough). I've also used the GraphEdit method to convert
..tivo files to .mpg, which play fine in all of my players (WinDVD, WMP,
Kaffeine, Mplayer, Noatun, etc). The problems I've been having have
occured when trying to edit/author the mpg files to DVD. These problems
don't seem to occur when editing *other* mpg files, or when editing
Tivo'd files with MyDVD. I'm very close to biting the bullet and paying
for MyDVD, but I'm going to experiment some more first.

Jim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 26, 2005 1:18:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Spider Dawg wrote:
> In article <nMxTd.18495$yr.14960@okepread05>, John Graham wrote:
>>
snip
>>
>
> I'm not sure if I was clear on what I've been doing. I've burned close
> to 20 DVDs using the trial version of MyDVD, all of which play fine
> (or at least good enough). I've also used the GraphEdit method to
> convert .tivo files to .mpg, which play fine in all of my players
> (WinDVD, WMP, Kaffeine, Mplayer, Noatun, etc). The problems I've been
> having have occured when trying to edit/author the mpg files to DVD.
> These problems don't seem to occur when editing *other* mpg files, or
> when editing Tivo'd files with MyDVD. I'm very close to biting the
> bullet and paying for MyDVD, but I'm going to experiment some more
> first.
>
> Jim
Spider,
Thanks that really helps me to understand what you are going thru.
It is very strange in what is happening to you.
Have you checked in the Tivo Community fourms for someone
else having the same issue?
Just a thought.
John
!