Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 690 or GTX Titan???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2013 2:54:17 AM

I want to know which would be the better choice to take, the 690 or the Titan. if you want me to add a parts list for the pc i will be getting just ask.

More about : gtx 690 gtx titan

a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 3:09:36 AM

Neither are very good buys. I would just get 1 gtx 680 unless you have the money to splurge.
a c 86 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 3:12:29 AM

GTX 680 is a poor buy too. A GTX 670 has nearly identical performance, but uses about 20-25% less power and can be had about 20-35% cheaper.

Two GTX 670s will beat Titan and rival the GTX 690 for much less money. They'll also have better temps then a GTX 690 so long as there's at least a one or two empty expansions slots of space below each card's cooler so that they can *breath*. If you really want to splurge, I suggest looking into water cooling three 670s. The 690 is far too expensive for its performance along with having poor temps and blowing a lot of heat back into the case and Titan brings poor value to an extreme that makes it nothing more than a novelty card if it performs as it's said to perform by current *leaked* benchmarks.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 3:25:12 AM

Yea I agree, but it seemed the OP wanted the best 1 card solution. Actually a 7970 ghz edition would be a better buy too.
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 3:28:55 AM

wait until there are actual benchmarks from testing the titan in real world game play.

until then there are either haters spewing rubbish or over zealous people highly speculating.
a c 141 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 5:35:01 AM

^+1
February 20, 2013 5:41:43 AM

Well if you itend to play on multiple monitors and money, but since you stated 690 or titan, I assume you have the money. Anyway, wait for some benchmarks, compare, but I'll prefer the titan over 690 because its a single gk110 compare to two 680 chip plugged into 1 card. That way you can 3-way sli them titan! But again, unless you got some beast monitor, you will locked down to 60hz refresh rate monitor. I have heard that nvidia new driver can boost the monitors refresh rate but I haven't try myself
February 20, 2013 7:07:44 AM

A) 2 GTX 670s won't beat Titan.

B) Nvidia is not worth buying at ANY price point this round. AMD better at every price point excluding maybe the bottom end $50 discrete cards. If you have the money to spend, 4 GTX Titans in quad SLI will be the strongest gaming monster to grace the earth, but in a realistic scenario Nvidia cards are exhibit A of pay more get less.
February 20, 2013 9:35:58 PM

i have 3 120Hz monitors. please don't recommend amd. I wont get an AMD grapics card, no offense to anyone that has one. i just dont like their cards.
And TBH i asked a specific question, not recommendations.
February 20, 2013 9:40:33 PM

XDeadPlagueXD said:
i have 3 120Hz monitors. please don't recommend amd. I wont get an AMD grapics card, no offense to anyone that has one. i just dont like their cards.

Alright, then Titan is probably a better buy, since 2Gb of VRAM on 3 monitors probably won't last very long. 6Gb on the other hand is going to last you longer, but I personally wouldn't be looking at the Titan, rather 670/680.
February 20, 2013 9:46:47 PM

2wenty said:
Alright, then Titan is probably a better buy, since 2Gb of VRAM on 3 monitors probably won't last very long. 6Gb on the other hand is going to last you longer, but I personally wouldn't be looking at the Titan, rather 670/680.

if they made a 8gb 690 using the 4gb 680 as a base then the 690 would be pretty good at multimonitor. ill look into it, to see if most of the new games will use physx. But just btw, i would be getting another of either of the one i got. so if got the titan i would get another and the same with the 690
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 9:47:33 PM

XDeadPlagueXD said:

iirc one of the "previews" on several of the sites i have read eluded to (paraphrased) "the 690 beats the titan in most games"

now whether or not those are strictly in SLI (since the 690 has 2 gpus) optimized games or not, or whether the titan can overclock and match or beat the 690s performance won't be known until thursday, when the NDA is lifted.
February 20, 2013 9:48:00 PM

BigMack70 said:
The 690 is faster and so the better buy of the two, but there are special circumstances where the Titan may be better:
1) If you need the blower style fan (i.e. your case has bad or no airflow)
2) You think you may want to add a second card later
3) If you are paranoid about dual-GPU
4) Need a better compute card than the 690 for something other than gaming

If none of those apply, Titan is not a good purchase.

i will be doing a lot of video editing and will be using game engines. cooling would not be a factor with either of the cards, trust me
February 20, 2013 9:49:22 PM

just tell me if you want a list of my parts. the only thing i have yet to get is graphics. will be getting one of them asap
February 20, 2013 9:55:44 PM

BigMack70 said:
Ah. Well wait for reviews to make the final decision, but it seems fairly certain that the 690 is typically the better buy.

yeah, i was planning on waiting, for the benchmarks for the titan before making my final decision, thanks for the help guys. i dont know who to select as the best answer
February 20, 2013 9:56:04 PM

Best answer selected by XDeadPlagueXD.
a c 86 U Graphics card
February 20, 2013 10:46:52 PM

I say that the GTX 690 is better than Titan and I get called a hater spewing rubbish or an over-zealous speculator. BigMack70 says it later and he gets best answer, lol :D 
!