Sign in with
Your question

Sound Card recommendations?

Last response: in Components
March 26, 2002 3:59:21 AM

I was thinking of getting a new sound card for my system and i was looking for something in the ~$100 range. Any recommendations? I was looking at the hercules game theaterXP or the sound blaster audigy Xgamer.
March 26, 2002 3:50:55 PM

If you buy the Audigy over the GTXP, I will personally come and slap you :tongue:

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
March 26, 2002 5:13:09 PM

alright, now where could i get a good deal online? i believe i saw one on newegg for $87.
Related resources
March 26, 2002 6:08:40 PM

$87 would be a good price then. I bought mine from Newegg for $120 several months ago (retail version).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
Anonymous
March 26, 2002 6:10:05 PM

I'm not a gamer so what card would you reco if I plan to use my pc as the central nervous system for all my home entettainment

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up...
March 26, 2002 7:19:41 PM

$87 for the oem. damn, overnight express and i can be playing with it tomorrow for still $30 less. :D 
March 26, 2002 8:10:53 PM

I'd actually recommend the same one. It's a good quality card, and it has all the connections you could ever need for a home theater system.

March 26, 2002 8:38:47 PM

ack! is there much quality difference between the game theater and an sb extigy? other than that nifty little remote of course. ;) 
March 26, 2002 9:32:43 PM

I have no idea, since I havne't had the oppurtunity to do anything with the Extigy. There aren't even any reviews of it, that I know of.

March 27, 2002 3:05:55 AM

got my gtxp + creative 5.1 speakers. ive had to change my pants 3 times since...thanks burger :o 

*edit* ugh but now i seem to be getting what seems to be some NASTY hd stutters. ill get about 1-2 second pause in windows or while running a game. i removed the card and rebooted, everything was fine, put in the old sb, fine again. tomorrow imma exchange the gtxp for another one since this one did have a loose center speaker plug. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Chrisvetous on 03/27/02 01:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 27, 2002 1:29:11 PM

For the stutters, try going back to the 3.x drivers. I'm having the same problem with the 4.10 drivers every once in a while, but didn't have any problems with the 3.x's. I'm going back to the 3.x's when I remember to and don't mind the reboot.

March 27, 2002 5:59:28 PM

link to the 3.x drivers? im not finding it on the hercules site and imma leave soon...
March 27, 2002 6:04:33 PM

They're there, there's a link that says "Old Drivers" or something like that. I can email them to you if nothing else

jwfatburger@attbi.com

!