Sign in with
Your question

Can't get Eyefinity to work!!! only duplicating 2 monitors not 3.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2013 5:18:53 AM

Radeon 6970 graphics card
Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
6Gb Ram
64bit Windows 7

2 X DVI into 2 monitors --- Philips 244EL2SB
1 X DVI Display Port into the 3rd --- Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technolog...

All 3 monitors work fine and the ATI Catalyst Control Center can see all 3 monitors but im only able to duplicate 2 monitors together, the 3rd monitor will remain black, when I try duplicate the 3rd monitor I can only extend or replace an existing monitor.

my catalyst is Version 13.1 and I believe it is the latest version.

Is the display port correct?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
June 13, 2014 11:50:15 AM

pringlcj said:
Radeon 6970 graphics card
Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
6Gb Ram
64bit Windows 7

2 X DVI into 2 monitors --- Philips 244EL2SB
1 X DVI Display Port into the 3rd --- Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technolog...

All 3 monitors work fine and the ATI Catalyst Control Center can see all 3 monitors but im only able to duplicate 2 monitors together, the 3rd monitor will remain black, when I try duplicate the 3rd monitor I can only extend or replace an existing monitor.

my catalyst is Version 13.1 and I believe it is the latest version.

Is the display port correct?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Video cards have chips called Digital to Analog converters or DACs. These are required to create the analog signal required for output to monitors. VGA, DVI, and HDMI all require these chips because they depend on the DAC to output the analog signal. DisplayPorts do not require a DAC because they pass along all signal information through the connection to the monitor's DisplayPort because it is a 100% digital connection. Your problem is due to the fact that you have two monitors attached to ports (DVI 1 and DVI 2) that require the use of DACs. Your video card only has two DACs and those are being used by these two ports. Your third monitor, DVI-to-DisplayPort, also requires a DAC - even though the port on the card is a DisplayPort. This is because you have it plugged into a monitor port that is a DVI and the DisplayPort needs access to a DAC to be backwards compatible. Because you have what's called a passive adapter (basically a simple cable) you dont have enough DACs for all the analog signals your video card must output. To remedy this you need to have an active adapter which is an adapter that contains a DAC in it to allow the DisplayPort to generate the signal to the input on the monitor (DVI). AMD is aware of this need, because most video cards only have 2 DACs onboard, so they have put together a page of recommended active adapters here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommended/eyefinity-adap.... Buy one of these, plug it into your DisplayPort and you should be good to go man. I got the Startech one because I like the quality of their products, but any ACTIVE adapter will do the job.
m
l
!