*Now* TiVo's in trouble

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
February 24, 2005 11:42:46 AM

I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was sealed
last night...

I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
company go out of business shortly thereafter.

I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked (went to
3com)

I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
Cogent.

I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead, and
I became an Internet engineer.

If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...

I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.

But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
<BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.

I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
than women's pool.

More about : tivo trouble

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:42:47 AM

"Adam Maloney" <adam@whee.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan...
<snip>
> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
> than women's pool.

Adam,

There's an easy solution.

Get wifey her own Tivo!!!

Larry Hazel
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:42:47 AM

Adam Maloney wrote:
> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have
the
> company go out of business shortly thereafter.

I have the same effect on good TV series. I watch them, they die. I'm
the man that killed Twin Peaks.

> Mythbusters
> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay!

Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm a fan of Mythbusters.

-Eric
February 24, 2005 3:38:13 PM

In article <xamTd.109820$mt.57810@fed1read03>, Homer L. Hazel
<hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

> "Adam Maloney" <adam@whee.org> wrote in message
> news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan...
> <snip>
> > I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
> > than women's pool.
>
> Adam,
>
> There's an easy solution.
>
> Get wifey her own Tivo!!!

That's what we did. We also have separate bathrooms.

This means we have nothing to fight about. We're like 63rd-century
people after the Great Reform.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 6:36:08 PM

<elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
> Adam Maloney wrote:
>> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have
> the
>> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>
> I have the same effect on good TV series. I watch them, they die. I'm
> the man that killed Twin Peaks.

I am really relieved I though I was the one who did that. I know there are
several other great shows I have killed like Homicide - Life in the Streets
and Boomtown.

Joan
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:13:39 PM

Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear something
and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have to
leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).

My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv and
Tivo because she is never going back to cable.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:13:40 PM

grinder wrote:
> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
> myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I
> hear something and want to repeat it or there is something
> interesting on and I have to leave the car for a few minutes (get the
> mail, go in a store, etc.).
> My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv
> and Tivo because she is never going back to cable.
If you want Tivo for radio check out this site.
Granted it is XM-radio but it is great, I have the older version
that uses the XMPCR radio but their new version is great too.
http://www.timetraxtech.com/
At one time it was said that XM and Tivo were going to partner
in providing this type of service thru the Tivo box.
I love the program I have used it alot in just letting it record
a channel for a number of hours or if a certian program is
playing on XM than I can schedule the program to record
that program.
John
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:13:40 PM

grinder wrote:
> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
> myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear something
> and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have to
> leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).

Ooh, somebody needs to pitch that to one of the Sat radio companies!
Wouldn't it be killer to be able to "Tivo" sat radio programs and play
them whenever you want? Kind of like a MP3 player/Sat radio hybrid w/
recording capabilities.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:36:39 PM

"grinder" <seagle@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I
> find myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear
> something and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and
> I have to leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store,
> etc.).
>
> My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv and
> Tivo because she is never going back to cable.
I have to agree with your wife. We live in a rural area and cable finally
came to us last year after 10 years of living here. I said no to cable when
they knocked on the door but I have highspeed cable Internet through
Earthlink and it is fantastic. This is Time Warner RoadRunner repackaged for
Earthlink and I pay less than some Roadrunner customers.

Joan
February 24, 2005 8:29:57 PM

Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org> wrote in
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan:

> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
> company go out of business shortly thereafter.

I have the same history with TV shows. For awhile, NBC and I had a deal
going. If I liked a show, they cancelled it.

> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.

You bastard! Take it back, take it back!

Oh, and welcome to the TiVolution!

> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
><BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.

That was GREAT. Did they get rid of the concrete? Nope...they got rid of
the TRUCK!

February 24, 2005 8:29:58 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Howard wrote:

> You bastard! Take it back, take it back!
>
> Oh, and welcome to the TiVolution!

I've only been waiting about a year to buy one...

Now I have a rebate question. This is from the TiVo rebate offer on Best
Buy's site:

"POSTMARK DATE: 30 days from date of purchase"
Then in the terms and conditions:

"(2) TiVo* service or TiVo PlusTM * service (on DVD products) activation
required by 5/31/05 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to be
eligible for rebate."

Aren't the requirements for postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, and the
requirement to have service active for at least 30 days, mutually
exclusive? Or am I mis-reading this?

And I do have a suggestion that I'd be curious to hear other's input on.

Would it be beneficial to have a 10 minute training guide as part of the
setup process after it does it's little updates dance? Last night when I
was setting this up, it got to the point where it had downloaded
something, and it told me that I could watch/pause/rewind live TV, but
wouldn't be able to schedule any recordings for 4-8 hours. It only took
it like an hour, but even so, that time could've been well spent with some
interactive training.

I'm thinking along the lines of, it tells you to pick a channel, any
channel, then go have a smoke or watch live TV for a few minutes (so it
can buffer a few minutes of the channel you picked). Then you come back
and it's ready to start the demo, and it walks you through doing basic
things like pause/rewind, instant replay, how to save the current show,
thumbs-up, etc. I realize it's all detailed in the manual, but it may be
easier to learn this way, and newbies might take advantage of features
they didn't know existed.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:29:59 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:54:20 -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:

> Now I have a rebate question. This is from the TiVo rebate offer on Best
> Buy's site:
>
> "POSTMARK DATE: 30 days from date of purchase"
> Then in the terms and conditions:
>
> "(2) TiVo* service or TiVo PlusTM * service (on DVD products) activation
> required by 5/31/05 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to be
> eligible for rebate."
>
> Aren't the requirements for postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, and the
> requirement to have service active for at least 30 days, mutually
> exclusive? Or am I mis-reading this?

You need to postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, but you won't become
eligible until 30 days after signing up for the service. This just means
mail it now, and they'll wait to send you the check until they see that
you have had your subscription for 30 days.

--
Lenroc
February 24, 2005 9:51:55 PM

"Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@owegony.net> wrote in message

> <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
>> Adam Maloney wrote:
>>> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have
>> the
>>> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>>
>> I have the same effect on good TV series. I watch them, they die. I'm
>> the man that killed Twin Peaks.
>
> I am really relieved I though I was the one who did that. I know there are
> several other great shows I have killed like Homicide - Life in the
> Streets and Boomtown.
>
> Joan

I killed Space: Above and Beyond AND Robbery Homicide Division...Bummer.....
Strychnine
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:37:08 PM

If you didn't buy an UltimateTV from Microsoft then you missed on of
my favorite Best Of Best, who Died Too Early.
---TheDoctor

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:42:46 -0600, Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org>
wrote:

>I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
>watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was sealed
>last night...
>
>I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
>company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>
>I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked (went to
>3com)
>
>I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
>Cogent.
>
>I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead, and
>I became an Internet engineer.
>
>If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>
>I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>
>But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
>blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
><BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>
>I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
>than women's pool.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:26:34 PM

In article <toWdnbHdEp6z5YPfRVn-qA@centurytel.net>, Strychnine
<BeERm3@b33R.IcYEKoLD.N3t> wrote:

> "Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@owegony.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message
> >> the
> >>
> >> I have the same effect on good TV series. I watch them, they die. I'm
> >> the man that killed Twin Peaks.
> >
> > I am really relieved I though I was the one who did that. I know there are
> > several other great shows I have killed like Homicide - Life in the
> > Streets and Boomtown.
> >
> > Joan
> >

> I killed Space: Above and Beyond AND Robbery Homicide Division...Bummer.....
> Strychnine

My Life and Times
John Doe
Many others, recent and long past

The difference between then and now is, I've grown used to them killing
off shows I like to watch, and I don't get bothered by it very much
anymore. What still drives me nuts is when a show becomes a moderate
hit and the carrier sets about "improving" it by making it "funnier,"
adding bizarre characters to the regular cast, etc. I can't think of a
case where doing these things did not ruin a show I liked. Current
examples:

Joan of Arcadia
Monk

I'm waiting for them to ruin Battlestar Galactica now, since it's a hit
and all. Maybe they'll add a wacky air traffic controller, "Crash"
Beakins. He zips around the bridge on roller skates and frequently
uses the catch phrase, "Imcoming bananas!!!" Canned laughter will soon
follow.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:11:39 AM

In article <6IpTd.2050$Sn6.1866@lakeread03>,
Lenroc <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:54:20 -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
>
> > Now I have a rebate question. This is from the TiVo rebate offer on Best
> > Buy's site:
> >
> > "POSTMARK DATE: 30 days from date of purchase"
> > Then in the terms and conditions:
> >
> > "(2) TiVo* service or TiVo PlusTM * service (on DVD products) activation
> > required by 5/31/05 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to be
> > eligible for rebate."
> >
> > Aren't the requirements for postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, and the
> > requirement to have service active for at least 30 days, mutually
> > exclusive? Or am I mis-reading this?
>
> You need to postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, but you won't become
> eligible until 30 days after signing up for the service. This just means
> mail it now, and they'll wait to send you the check until they see that
> you have had your subscription for 30 days.

And then wait 3 months more.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:11:40 AM

> In article <6IpTd.2050$Sn6.1866@lakeread03>,
> Lenroc <lenroc@NOSPAMFORYOU.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:54:20 -0600, Adam Maloney wrote:
>>
>> > Now I have a rebate question. This is from the TiVo rebate offer on
>> > Best
>> > Buy's site:
>> >
>> > "POSTMARK DATE: 30 days from date of purchase"
>> > Then in the terms and conditions:
>> >
>> > "(2) TiVo* service or TiVo PlusTM * service (on DVD products)
>> > activation
>> > required by 5/31/05 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to
>> > be
>> > eligible for rebate."
>> >
>> > Aren't the requirements for postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, and the
>> > requirement to have service active for at least 30 days, mutually
>> > exclusive? Or am I mis-reading this?
>>
>> You need to postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, but you won't become
>> eligible until 30 days after signing up for the service. This just means
>> mail it now, and they'll wait to send you the check until they see that
>> you have had your subscription for 30 days.
>
> And then wait 3 months more.

Or 8 weeks from sending it in, as was the case for my parents.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:12:16 AM

In article <T2nTd.4480$MY6.2057@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"grinder" <seagle@earthlink.invalid> wrote:

> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
> myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear something
> and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have to
> leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).
>
> My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv and
> Tivo because she is never going back to cable.

Smart lady.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:42:13 AM

In article <xamTd.109820$mt.57810@fed1read03>, Homer L. Hazel
<hNoOmerlhANTI@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

> There's an easy solution.
>
> Get wifey her own Tivo!!!

Argh! But that will multiply his Tivo Is Doomed effect, and a meteor
will hit Tivo's officies or something!
February 25, 2005 3:00:40 AM

Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org> wrote in
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502241220190.29631@titan:

> Now I have a rebate question. This is from the TiVo rebate offer on
> Best Buy's site:
>
> "POSTMARK DATE: 30 days from date of purchase"
> Then in the terms and conditions:
>
> "(2) TiVo* service or TiVo PlusTM * service (on DVD products) activation
> required by 5/31/05 and must be active for at least 30 days in order to
> be eligible for rebate."
>
> Aren't the requirements for postmark w/in 30 days of purchase, and the
> requirement to have service active for at least 30 days, mutually
> exclusive? Or am I mis-reading this?

Hmmm. Good question. The way I'm parsing this, I would say that means
you need to mail it in within 30 days, then when they get it they will
hold it and check to make sure you had service at least that long.

> And I do have a suggestion that I'd be curious to hear other's input on.
>
> Would it be beneficial to have a 10 minute training guide as part of the
> setup process after it does it's little updates dance? Last night when
> I was setting this up, it got to the point where it had downloaded
> something, and it told me that I could watch/pause/rewind live TV, but
> wouldn't be able to schedule any recordings for 4-8 hours. It only took
> it like an hour, but even so, that time could've been well spent with
> some interactive training.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of, it tells you to pick a channel, any
> channel, then go have a smoke or watch live TV for a few minutes (so it
> can buffer a few minutes of the channel you picked). Then you come back
> and it's ready to start the demo, and it walks you through doing basic
> things like pause/rewind, instant replay, how to save the current show,
> thumbs-up, etc. I realize it's all detailed in the manual, but it may
> be easier to learn this way, and newbies might take advantage of
> features they didn't know existed.

I swear they USED to have this, but I got my TiVo rather long ago, my
memory could be playing tricks. It had a small number of pre-recorded
videos on it, one being a demo, and one being a TV show TiVo did that they
stopped soon after I got mine. I did rather like it though, and they
should bring it back. Especially if it means seeing more TiVoShanan.

February 25, 2005 9:28:39 AM

"Randy S." <rswittno@spamgmail.com> wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
>> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
>> myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear something
>> and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have to
>> leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).
>
> Ooh, somebody needs to pitch that to one of the Sat radio companies! Wouldn't
> it be killer to be able to "Tivo" sat radio programs and play them whenever
> you want? Kind of like a MP3 player/Sat radio hybrid w/ recording
> capabilities.
>
> Randy S.
http://www.timetraxtech.com/
This pissed off XM radio and they asked the company to
stop selling this program. It works great and splits up the
songs into MP3 files with the title and artist added as the
title of the MP3.
John
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:35:00 AM

> http://www.timetraxtech.com/
> This pissed off XM radio and they asked the company to
> stop selling this program. It works great and splits up the
> songs into MP3 files with the title and artist added as the
> title of the MP3.
> John

Well, I was really thinking of something integrated into the radio, but
they probably won't do it due to RIAA issues.

Randy S.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:37:23 PM

On 25 Feb 2005 00:00:40 GMT, Howard <stile99@email.com.> wrote:

<snip>

>I swear they USED to have this, but I got my TiVo rather long ago, my
>memory could be playing tricks. It had a small number of pre-recorded
>videos on it, one being a demo, and one being a TV show TiVo did that they
>stopped soon after I got mine. I did rather like it though, and they
>should bring it back. Especially if it means seeing more TiVoShanan.

I bought a used Philips Series 1 a few months ago as a gift. It had a
"Getting to Know TiVo"-type video in the NPL, but it was _not_ hosted by
Shanan.

I've purchased other Series 1 and Series2 standalones, both new and
refurbished, and this was the only time I recall seeing such a prerecorded
video.
--
TiVo Series2 60hr (upgraded to 310:09 + Lifetime)
TiVo Series2.5 40hr (upgraded to ~229 hrs)

* Randy S. wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>> http://www.timetraxtech.com/
>> This pissed off XM radio and they asked the company to
>> stop selling this program. It works great and splits up the
>> songs into MP3 files with the title and artist added as the
>> title of the MP3.
>> John

> Well, I was really thinking of something integrated into the radio, but
> they probably won't do it due to RIAA issues.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fIqPOZ6ttiE/cgi-bin/ProdVi...

5 hours of recording time.
--
David
It destroys one's nerves to be amiable every day to the same human being.

>>Well, I was really thinking of something integrated into the radio, but
>>they probably won't do it due to RIAA issues.
>

> http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fIqPOZ6ttiE/cgi-bin/ProdVi...
>
> 5 hours of recording time.

You know, I've seen that device, but didn't realize all of it's
capabilities. That's one nice piece of equipment!

Randy S.
February 25, 2005 7:44:01 PM

Robert B. Clark <epynex@3pynexf.pbz> wrote in

> On 25 Feb 2005 00:00:40 GMT, Howard <stile99@email.com.> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>I swear they USED to have this, but I got my TiVo rather long ago, my
>>memory could be playing tricks. It had a small number of pre-recorded
>>videos on it, one being a demo, and one being a TV show TiVo did that
>>they stopped soon after I got mine. I did rather like it though, and
>>they should bring it back. Especially if it means seeing more
>>TiVoShanan.
>
> I bought a used Philips Series 1 a few months ago as a gift. It had a
> "Getting to Know TiVo"-type video in the NPL, but it was _not_ hosted by
> Shanan.
>
> I've purchased other Series 1 and Series2 standalones, both new and
> refurbished, and this was the only time I recall seeing such a
> prerecorded video.

Interesting. The one on mine was not with Shanan either (she appeared on
the scene later)...but mine IS a Philips (60 hour). Maybe they're the
only ones who did it.

But they absolutely need to bring the show back, with Shanan. Have a 15
minute live version of the newsletter, where she discusses tips and tricks
and letters to the editor about TiVo and such.

February 25, 2005 8:03:13 PM

I've seen the XM2Go on EBay (new) for as little as $145. If you're
considering one, that's the cheap way!
-Jen
February 25, 2005 9:08:40 PM

* Randy S. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>>>Well, I was really thinking of something integrated into the
>>>radio, but they probably won't do it due to RIAA issues.
>>

>> http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fIqPOZ6ttiE/cgi-bin/ProdVi...
>> 6950&I=040SA10113
>>
>> 5 hours of recording time.
>
> You know, I've seen that device, but didn't realize all of it's
> capabilities. That's one nice piece of equipment!

Yeah, now if only Sirrus would match it.

--
David
Anonymous

John Doe??? You killed that??? damn you man.. I loved that show.. <g>

"Dr. Personality" <affable@no.com.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <toWdnbHdEp6z5YPfRVn-qA@centurytel.net>, Strychnine
> <BeERm3@b33R.IcYEKoLD.N3t> wrote:
>
>> "Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@owegony.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > <elrous0@pop.uky.edu> wrote in message

>> > I am really relieved I though I was the one who did that. I know there
>> > are
>> > several other great shows I have killed like Homicide - Life in the
>> > Streets and Boomtown.
>> >
>> > Joan
>> >

>> I killed Space: Above and Beyond AND Robbery Homicide
>> Division...Bummer.....
>> Strychnine
>

> My Life and Times
> John Doe
> Many others, recent and long past
>
> The difference between then and now is, I've grown used to them killing
> off shows I like to watch, and I don't get bothered by it very much
> anymore. What still drives me nuts is when a show becomes a moderate
> hit and the carrier sets about "improving" it by making it "funnier,"
> adding bizarre characters to the regular cast, etc. I can't think of a
> case where doing these things did not ruin a show I liked. Current
> examples:
>
> Joan of Arcadia
> Monk
>
> I'm waiting for them to ruin Battlestar Galactica now, since it's a hit
> and all. Maybe they'll add a wacky air traffic controller, "Crash"
> Beakins. He zips around the bridge on roller skates and frequently
> uses the catch phrase, "Imcoming bananas!!!" Canned laughter will soon
> follow.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:13:57 AM

"Adam Maloney" <adam@whee.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan...
> I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
> watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was sealed
> last night...
>
> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>
> I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked (went to
> 3com)
>
> I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
> Cogent.
>
> I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead, and
> I became an Internet engineer.
>
> If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>
> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>
> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters blew
> up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again - <BLAM>,
> instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>
> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
> than women's pool.

Adam,
Welcome to the club. I'm older and I did buy two Sony Betamax. Top of the
line. I had two TV's. Figured since Betamax was a better technology, it
would win the standard fight. Oh well.....and the beat goes on.

Right now I'm trying to figure out which DVR to buy. I don't like TiVo's
subscription stuff so I'm leaning towards RCA's 7000N. I should probably
buy TiVo and between the two of us, they would be doomed. ;)

Bill
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 1:22:29 AM

Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org> wrote in
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan:

> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher
> priority than women's pool.

I tend to agree with her.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:50:48 PM

Adam Maloney wrote:
> I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
> watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was sealed
> last night...
>
> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>
> I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked (went
> to 3com)
>
> I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
> Cogent.
>
> I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead,
> and I became an Internet engineer.
>
> If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>
> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>
> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
> <BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>
> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher priority
> than women's pool.

I have you beat by a mile.

1. Enter pilot training with US Air Force. Vietname ends and all pilot
trainees are dumped. Air Force has severe force reductions.

2. Leave Air Force and work for an insurance company. Bit stock market
drop and insurance is in the dumps for 5 years.

3. Go to work as DP manager of local tucking company. I only stay 9
months, but in 12 months the company is bought. 6 months later the
bulding is bulldozed. In 2 year the purchasing company is out of business.

4. Go to work for IBM. I takes 12 years, but I take them down also.
Once I left (dumped the 4th time), they recover.

5. Go to work for a software arm of one of the largest consulting and
outsourcing companies in the US. We sell software that relies on teh
employment rate, so have not sold a new license in several years.

I have taking down IBM and the U.S. goverment (AirForce).

Mike
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:58:21 PM

Mike Wanninger wrote:

> Adam Maloney wrote:
>
>> I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
>> watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was
>> sealed last night...
>>
>> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
>> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>>
>> I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked
>> (went to 3com)
>>
>> I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
>> Cogent.
>>
>> I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead,
>> and I became an Internet engineer.
>>
>> If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>>
>> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>>
>> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
>> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
>> <BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>>
>> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher
>> priority than women's pool.
>

> I have you beat by a mile.
>
> 1. Enter pilot training with US Air Force. Vietname ends and all
> pilot trainees are dumped. Air Force has severe force reductions.
>
> 2. Leave Air Force and work for an insurance company. Bit stock
> market drop and insurance is in the dumps for 5 years.
>
> 3. Go to work as DP manager of local tucking company. I only stay 9
> months, but in 12 months the company is bought. 6 months later the
> bulding is bulldozed. In 2 year the purchasing company is out of
> business.
>
> 4. Go to work for IBM. I takes 12 years, but I take them down also.
> Once I left (dumped the 4th time), they recover.
>
> 5. Go to work for a software arm of one of the largest consulting and
> outsourcing companies in the US. We sell software that relies on teh
> employment rate, so have not sold a new license in several years.
>

> I have taking down IBM and the U.S. goverment (AirForce).
>
> Mike

Sorry about the bad spelling and grammer. Hit the enter key before the
spell check.

Mike
February 28, 2005 6:45:05 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 13:58:21 -0600, Mike Wanninger
<mwanning@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Mike Wanninger wrote:
>
>> Adam Maloney wrote:
>>
>>> I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
>>> watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was
>>> sealed last night...
>>>
>>> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
>>> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>>>
>>> I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked
>>> (went to 3com)
>>>
>>> I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to
>>> Cogent.
>>>
>>> I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead,
>>> and I became an Internet engineer.
>>>
>>> If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>>>
>>> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>>>
>>> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
>>> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
>>> <BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>>>
>>> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher
>>> priority than women's pool.
>>

>> I have you beat by a mile.
>>
>> 1. Enter pilot training with US Air Force. Vietname ends and all
>> pilot trainees are dumped. Air Force has severe force reductions.
>>
>> 2. Leave Air Force and work for an insurance company. Bit stock
>> market drop and insurance is in the dumps for 5 years.
>>
>> 3. Go to work as DP manager of local tucking company. I only stay 9
>> months, but in 12 months the company is bought. 6 months later the
>> bulding is bulldozed. In 2 year the purchasing company is out of
>> business.
>>
>> 4. Go to work for IBM. I takes 12 years, but I take them down also.
>> Once I left (dumped the 4th time), they recover.
>>
>> 5. Go to work for a software arm of one of the largest consulting and
>> outsourcing companies in the US. We sell software that relies on teh
>> employment rate, so have not sold a new license in several years.
>>

>> I have taking down IBM and the U.S. goverment (AirForce).
>>
>> Mike
>
> Sorry about the bad spelling and grammer. Hit the enter key before the
>spell check.
>
>Mike

Gee, I can't imagine why you got fired all those times. You seem like
such a bright guy.

Sean
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:31:02 AM

March 3, 2005 4:39:42 PM

I have an iRiver iFP-790:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/700/ifp_790.asp...
which can programatically record from FM, but you can only schedule one
program (ie, one station at one time on a particular day, or everyday)
to be recorded. That works if you just want one progream, but wouldn't
be satisfactory if there were several shows you wanted to record.

And this new iRiver iFP-990 here:
http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/900/ifp_990.asp...
sez it has "Programmable FM recording". But ... dunno exactly what that
means because the manual isn't available online even though it's
supposed to be. I sent an email to their tech support asking for more
info.

It's funny because a lot of people want this feature, but nobody seems
to provide it! Nobody, that is, except for the "RadioYourWay" folks at
http://www.radioyourway.com/radioyourwaylx.htm
Their original unit had awful sound quality, but it looks as if this
new one (which is not yet available) will be better sound quality.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:08:33 PM

grinder wrote:
> Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I find
> myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear something
> and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have to
> leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).
>
> My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv and
> Tivo because she is never going back to cable.

IRiver has FM tuners in their MP3 players. I emailed them and ask if it
can programatically record from the FM tuner. The reply was "no" but
they will look it as a possible future feature.

But, yes, I would like a TiVo-like unit for radio. FM *and* AM!

Later,
Steven
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:36:16 AM

Yep...me too..... re the radio concept..

It is an idea ( Tivo-like FM / AM radios) that has a built-in audience (
us ).

I love to listen to "Click and Clack .. the auto guys" when we are on the
road. I love to hear Garrison Keeler, but .......................I can't sit
in my car on Saturday mornings and evenings just to listen to them. I'm
busy doing something else when they are on.

Gee, what a concept...let the consumer listen when he wants to??? Sound
familiar?? RichG TX
--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

"Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> grinder wrote:
> > Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without it. I
find
> > myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear
something
> > and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I have
> > leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store, etc.).
> >
> > My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to direct tv
and
> > Tivo because she is never going back to cable.
>
> IRiver has FM tuners in their MP3 players. I emailed them and ask if it
> can programatically record from the FM tuner. The reply was "no" but
> they will look it as a possible future feature.
>
> But, yes, I would like a TiVo-like unit for radio. FM *and* AM!
>
> Later,
> Steven
March 4, 2005 12:55:20 AM

Have you tried Replay Radio? It's like a TiVo for the radio that you
run on your PC.

Replay Radio lets you record ANY Radio station broadcast over the Web
as an MP3 file, and then copy it to your iPod or other MP3 player. It
will even burn CDs automatically.

Replay Radio comes with a database of over 700 shows and 1000 stations,
and you can easily add your own.

Check it out! A free trial is available from here:

www.replay-radio.com

Enjoy!

RichG wrote:
> Yep...me too..... re the radio concept..
>
> It is an idea ( Tivo-like FM / AM radios) that has a built-in
audience (
> us ).
>
> I love to listen to "Click and Clack .. the auto guys" when we are on
the
> road. I love to hear Garrison Keeler, but .......................I
can't sit
> in my car on Saturday mornings and evenings just to listen to them.
I'm
> busy doing something else when they are on.
>
> Gee, what a concept...let the consumer listen when he wants to???
Sound
> familiar?? RichG TX
> --
> RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
> http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
> .
>
> "Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > grinder wrote:
> > > Give it two days and you won't understand how you lived without
it. I
> find
> > > myself thinking I wish I had Tivo for the radio everytime I hear
> something
> > > and want to repeat it or there is something interesting on and I
have
> > > leave the car for a few minutes (get the mail, go in a store,
etc.).

> > > My wife says future home purchases will depend on access to
direct tv
> and
> > > Tivo because she is never going back to cable.
> >
> > IRiver has FM tuners in their MP3 players. I emailed them and ask
if it
> > can programatically record from the FM tuner. The reply was "no"
but
> > they will look it as a possible future feature.
> >
> > But, yes, I would like a TiVo-like unit for radio. FM *and* AM!
> >
> > Later,
> > Steven
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:52:11 PM

"Adam Maloney" <adam@whee.org> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan...

> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters blew
> up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again - <BLAM>,
> instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.

That explosion was incredible! I wish they'd had the common sense and
foresight to film it with a high-speed camera, though. One frame, there's a
truck, the next frame a flash of light and a puff of smoke and no truck.

I wonder how much force was involved in that blast? Did they ever say how
much or what explosive was used? I guess they didn't, for security reasons.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:08:41 PM

"Bill" <bill@applian.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried Replay Radio? It's like a TiVo for the radio that you
> run on your PC. (snip)
A free trial is available from here:

> www.replay-radio.com

******************************88

Holy smokes! Somebody is actually producing a product ( other than TIVO )
that I would want! Thanks a lot! I may well be a customer by the end of the
day! RichG TX

--
RichG manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:54:33 AM

They mentioned 850 lbs of commercial explosives. I'd guess ANFO
probably. Yes, high speed camera would be been awesome... Note on the
right side of the screen the instant puff of dust, must be concrete
mixer bits, like a giant fragmentation grenade.

-Jerry

Adam Corolla wrote:
> "Adam Maloney" <adam@whee.org> wrote in message
> news:p ine.GSO.4.60.0502240827310.26744@titan...
>
>>But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters blew
>>up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again - <BLAM>,
>>instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>

> That explosion was incredible! I wish they'd had the common sense and
> foresight to film it with a high-speed camera, though. One frame, there's a
> truck, the next frame a flash of light and a puff of smoke and no truck.
>
> I wonder how much force was involved in that blast? Did they ever say how
> much or what explosive was used? I guess they didn't, for security reasons.

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:54:34 AM

Jerry Albro <jerry@albro.org> wrote:

>They mentioned 850 lbs of commercial explosives. I'd guess ANFO
>probably. Yes, high speed camera would be been awesome... Note on the
>right side of the screen the instant puff of dust, must be concrete
>mixer bits, like a giant fragmentation grenade.

Notice the sound, like a quick buzz, not a single bang. I'm wondering
it was just an artifact generated by overloaded sound equipment, or
echoes, or the the bags of explosives detonating in sequence.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:31:26 AM

"Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message
Jerry Albro <jerry@albro.org> wrote:

>They mentioned 850 lbs of commercial explosives. I'd guess ANFO
>probably. Yes, high speed camera would be been awesome... Note on the
>right side of the screen the instant puff of dust, must be concrete
>mixer bits, like a giant fragmentation grenade.

Notice the sound, like a quick buzz, not a single bang. I'm wondering
it was just an artifact generated by overloaded sound equipment, or
echoes, or the the bags of explosives detonating in sequence.

Good observation! I noticed that too, and thought it was either the
artifact you mentioned, or the sound of truck parts ripping/pinwheeling
through the air at extremely high speeds.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:39:00 AM

Sean <sean386@yahoo.com> wrote in

> You are a dolt for spending money on a tivo tho.
>
> Sean

Good one! *PLONK*
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 6:46:03 PM

I own three TIVOs and also worried about its fate, since I purchased
the lifetime subscription I wonder if the life is about over.

Why did you say that "their fate was sealed last night?"

On 2005-02-24 09:42:46 -0500, Adam Maloney <adam@whee.org> said:

> I've been reading this group for a couple of months now, and I've been
> watching all of the Tivo-is-dead arguments. Well, their fate was
> sealed last night...
>
> I have a long history of buying the-best-of-the-best, only to have the
> company go out of business shortly thereafter.
>
> I was a USR Courier owner. Best modems in the world. USR tanked (went
> to 3com)
>
> I had some internet services with PSI. PSI tanked in '02 and went to Cogent.
>
> I had a $250 RA Pro BBS software license. RA tanked, the BBS is dead,
> and I became an Internet engineer.
>
> If I were older I'm sure I would've bought a Betamax...
>
> I bought my TiVo last night. Their days are numbered.
>
> But, I was TiVo'ing the hell out of my cable last night. Mythbusters
> blew up a concrete mixer truck...instant replay! Ooh, do it again -
> <BLAM>, instant replay. Five, six times, because I can.
>
> I do have one complaint though - the wifey thinks CSI is higher
> priority than women's pool.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:34:05 PM

Noah Body wrote:
> I own three TIVOs and also worried about its fate, since I purchased the
> lifetime subscription I wonder if the life is about over.
>
> Why did you say that "their fate was sealed last night?"

It was a joke, based on the fact that everything the OP buys into seems
to get cancelled. He wasn't being serious, lighten up, have a laugh!

Randy S.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:14:12 PM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Randy S. wrote:

> Noah Body wrote:
>> I own three TIVOs and also worried about its fate, since I purchased the
>> lifetime subscription I wonder if the life is about over.
>>
>> Why did you say that "their fate was sealed last night?"
>
> It was a joke, based on the fact that everything the OP buys into seems to
> get cancelled. He wasn't being serious, lighten up, have a laugh!

Yup. Now maybe I should use my power for good and buy Windows.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:42:05 PM

Bill wrote:
> Have you tried Replay Radio? It's like a TiVo for the radio that you
> run on your PC.
>
> Replay Radio lets you record ANY Radio station broadcast over the Web
> as an MP3 file, and then copy it to your iPod or other MP3 player. It
> will even burn CDs automatically.
>
> Replay Radio comes with a database of over 700 shows and 1000 stations,
> and you can easily add your own.
>
> Check it out! A free trial is available from here:
>
> www.replay-radio.com

Cool! I will check it out tonight. I've already emailed a friend about
this.

Thanks,
Steven
March 18, 2005 1:02:51 PM

Roger wrote:
> And this new iRiver iFP-990 here:
> http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/900/ifp_990.asp...
> sez it has "Programmable FM recording".

Finally got more info from iRiver. Like the earlier model it is limited
to being programmed to record just one program. With all these fancy
mp3 players around it's a shame that just one of them doesn't have the
functionality that VCRs did 30 years ago ...
!