all newer maxtor hard drive owners!

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
do you guys notice that it's quite a bit louder than other hard drives? i had an IBM 15gb before and now have two fo the 40gb maxtors and they are quite a bit louder. i never really have a problme with loud hard drives but i was just wondering if you guys noticed it too. i don't think it's a fluke because i ahve two of them and they both make the sound.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No problems here. My friends both had IBM 60GXP's and thought that mine were really quiet compared to theirs.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Heh I have a new D740X, it definitely makes a different sound from my Seagate Baracuda, but any sound from that is drowned out by the CoolerMaster DCD-4002 hard disk cooler. It does make some nice sounds during operation, but I don't think these are like the "click-of-death" experienced by IBM users and they are kind of comforting in a way. I'm just looking forward to the sound of 4 of them writing in parallel :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
my d740x 40 gig is quieter than my old 10 gig maxtor.
and WAYY faster.
not sure, because i have no way to test the DB, but i think it might be quieter than my friends 120 gig wd.
BUT that might be innacurate, seeing as my ear isnt a DB meter.
but i think that the d740x is a pretty quiet drive.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My D740x's (they have liquid bearings though) are barely audible...used to have IBM 75GXP, and that thing wouldn't let me fall asleep if I let it on while it was reading/writing.

Sig of the week.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, mine is the regular bb one, and it is rather quiet.
the read/write i can hear, but not with the case on, and definately not with the 120mm case fan on.
i can fall asleep with that thing defragging, or doing some sort of benchmark.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

The_Neon_Cowboy

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
new Maxtor drive have acustic mangement you can make it quiter with a performance hit with a simple utillity u can pick up on the web site... faster acess times ur gonna get bit more noise

:cool: <font color=blue>The Hardware Junkie</font color=blue> :cool: