How to operate a website from a shared internet connection in apartments

captainiom

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello,
I am designing a network internet connection to our 20 apartment block. The WAN is Ultima up to 40mb/s and the take up is expected to be modest in terms of throughput. However I have been told that two apartments want to run their own non commercial web sites which currently operate on adsl with ddns provision from TZO. The netgear vdsl router supplied by the ISP will obviously have port forwarding but how do I cater for more than one LAN destination requiring port 80 traffic???
Surely I dont have to have an in-block DNS :)

If I were you, I would tell the people who want to host web servers they can keep their ADSL lines!

OK, if you must accommodate them, then you either need a block of IP addresses, or you need to add a reverse proxy web server that will take the forwarded port 80 traffic and forward it to the correct web server.

captainiom

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I have told them preciselt that! However, I must admit that the problem intrigued me and I wonder if there is a simple solution? A reverse proxy would do the trick but that means there has to be a server listening on 80 and therefore a PC to maintain. Also I waded through mod_proxy on Apache tutorials and it is far from transparent ):
What about an identical piece of code in the index file of each server which has two (or more) radio buttons for each site with the link being xxx.com:81 , yyy.com:82 etc?
Port forwarding would then take you to the correct m/c. There is probaly a catch.............

captainiom

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
TZO say they may be able to associate a C record for the WWW of a domain to a specific port: thus www.xxx.com:81. I am not sure how they can do this so am awaiting further information but it is interesting if they can offer this on their premium ddns service.

captainiom

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Here is the quote from TZO which seems to suggest a solution:-
"Here is what we can do...

We create a domain name or use your existing top level domain name. For this example let call it myappts.com. You will need premier DNS for
this at 59.95 a year.

Then each of your tenants but a subdomain off of your domain for 24.95 from us, we do not care what you charge them. (hence... your profit),
after 5 orders it goes down by I think 20% as you will be considered a reseller.

Then we use we relay, so that www.smith.myappts.com will go to http://smith.myappts.com:1024

You can set up thousands of these from the same top level domain name.

A lot of camera surveillance company will do this to brand there company in the url.
"

Latest posts