Screws connecting the fans to my GPU have broken.

lmstswimmer_48

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I recently bought a Sapphire HD Radeon 7850 a few months back and unfortunately the screws and plastic connecting my fans to the heatsink of my GPU have broken. Is there any way to connect it back to the GPU with either tape or glue? Thank you for your time.

lmstswimmer_48

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I'm thinking they broke when I hit a bad bump on the road when moving apartments yesterday and it just broke the plastic keeping the screws in. As for the warranty, I'm not sure if I'm entirely covered since it'll probably be considered my fault so I was just curious if there was a way either using hot glue to connect it to the graphics card or even rubber bands or twist ties.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I wouldn't recommend any of these "fixes". Could you post a picture of the video card so we can assess the damage and your options better?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You could try something like Gorilla Glue to secure the posts where the plastic broke off. It is debatable as to how long that would last and you'll have to be very careful to not get glue on the PCB or video card components.

I would still recommend replacing the heatsink/fan assembly. It is actually pretty easy and will be a more reliable solution.

If you go the glue route, make sure you use something like big rubber bands or cable ties to keep good pressure on the bond until the glue is fully hardened. Take your time with this process.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The device I suggested comes with instructions and there are multiple youtube videos to assist as well.

On the glue route, you would need to line everything back up and hold in place until the glue hardens. It really looks like like only a couple of posts were actually broken and those are where you would put the glue.