Computers Randomly dropping homegroup connection.

Dcoy89

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I am working on a business network that was setup by another tech. Basically the connection comes from the modem to a 16 port switch (13 being used), and is going to each computer.. I'm thinking of tossing a router between the modem and switch to see if this helps. Basically what it is doing is each computer accesses a database on the server, and occasionally they are losing connection to the database.. I did change all of the stations to static IP as they were all dynamic. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Modem to a switch is a horrible idea, how are they even getting the proper IP settings? What is the database running on? A real server OS or what?

You do want a router in the mix if just for the IP and security issues. Don't think it will help any with the database connection issue, but that is probably just a max connection limit on a Windows box unless you are using a server OS.

Dcoy89

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Yea thats what I was thinking when I ran into it. I was shocked it had been working as long as it did.. Database is running basically on a shared folder on a windows 7 pro desktop... Fairly simple setup.. Ive added a router for organization purposes.. We'll see if that helps.. However I believe only 4 or so systems are accessing the database at a given time.. I highly doubt thats the cause..

Also the max users on windows 7 pro is 20..

I think each data connection that a PC starts counts to the limit. Plus who knows that that system is doing. Try moving the database to a NAS.