Sign in with
Your question

Permanently using Nvidia over Intel Integrated - Sony Vaio S

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2013 2:49:05 PM

Okay, so I'm having a display issue with my laptop. I've tried google and there are 100 threads over this issue but none provide a solution to my problem.

My external monitor looks terrible. The case is that it's likely the cheap work monitor. But, i wanted to try the more powerful GPU to see if it perhaps gave me better results. So, I'm basically looking for a way to switch from the Intel 4000 graphics to permanently use the GeForce 640m LE.

I understand that it's designed to switch to the Nvidia GPU when a high-performance application, such as a game, is opened. But, I need it to be active at all times, even on the desktop. I've gone into the Nvidia control panel, and under the global settings, told it to use the GPU . It does not. Dxdiag still shows the Intel 4000 as my display. So I disabled it in Device Manager. Dxdiag then told me I was using Windows Basic Display Driver. So I updated my Nvidia driver to the latest. Then, leaving the Intel disabled, uninstalled it and its drivers. Then I rebooted. Arriving back to my desktop, I run a dxdiag and it shows Intel 4000 as my display again - it re-enabled itself.

Regardless as to whether this will fix my issue with the second monitor, I want a way do this. The sheer fact that my laptop is trying to prevent me from doing it has made this a priority for me.

Thanks!
-Jared
February 20, 2013 3:03:32 PM

Can you not just disable it in bios?
m
l
February 20, 2013 3:10:29 PM

I tried. The only video-related option in the bios is "Discrete Graphics Adapter" which was already enabled. There are no other options at all for display.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2013 3:37:54 PM

I looked around. Appears the laptop will always boot to the integrated graphics. Also saw a post where you should have an icon or hot key to switch without rebooting. Any icons or hot keys?
m
l
February 20, 2013 3:44:45 PM

I'm assuming you've got some sort of Nvidia Optimus setup. My netbook has something very similar. It only fires up the Nvidia card for 3d applications.

What controlled whether or not optimus was enabled was a utility from the netbook manufacturer. In my case, it was Asus. The utility is on their downloads page for my model netbook. It lets you either run in optimus mode (auto switching) or just purely on the Nvidia card. I'd suggest you search the Sony site for your laptop's driver page and see if you can't find something similar.

Furthermore, if it is an optimus system, there is a test tool available which lets you see if the video card is running. http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26992-optimus-te...

Lastly, if you don't have an optimus type setup, ignore everything that I've said :D 
m
l
!