Catalyst won't recognize discrete Radeon GPU nor fx8350's GPU

est_cap

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Hi, the description of my problem is quite tricky, i'll try to describe as good as I can.

Long story short: I have a fx-8350 and a 4890. First Catalyst wouldn't even install 4890's drivers. I got the drivers in Windows Update, managed to even use the GPU for graphics, but still won't show up on Catalyst. I tryied 12.1 , 13.1 and 13.2 Beta 6, uninstalled repeteadly the GPU driver and still wont get Catalyst to show the menu of GPU tweaking

If you want details you can have it here, thanks in advance!:

Yesterday I got in my hands the parts to build my new PC... I don't think it matters, but I'll put all the components here:
CPU: fx8350 B.E. / GPU: NONE (I'll explain that down) / Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 / 2x4Gb G. Skill Sniper 1600Mhz / Power source: Cooler Master GX 750w Bronze / I got an Aerocool case , 1TB Caviar HD, DVD Drive too

I got everything, EXCEPT GPU. I'm going to get a XFX 7950 in a few days, I reserved in the store and everything, but meanwhile, I wanted to get it all setup and put a XFX 4890 from my old PC.
I installed Windows 7 64bit and installed the chipset's drivers form the provided CD... the video (HDMI from the 4890) Was corky because it didnt have the drivers, so I downloaded the lastest Amd Catalyst and installed it ... to my surprise, onc einstalled and rebooted, the screen was still at 800x600 (the screen is 27" 1080p) ..so I went to Device Manager and checked.. it listed the Display adapter as "Standard VGA" or something saying "standard".. the default VGA driver. GPU-Z showed me "Standard VGA" but with all the description of the 4890 correctly, only name missing.
I opened Catalyst, and I saw a lot fewer options that what I use to see on th eold PC with 4890. Only 2 labels in "performance" menu: Amd Overdrive (processor) and "CPU Power" where I could only set the fx8350's core speed.

I then uninstalled everything with add/remove programs, and with DRIVER FUSION, and proceed to install Catalyst 13.2 BETA.. just in case it was a minor known bug.
Same story here, 800x600. I then went to Device Manager, and put Upgrade driver, selected the ATI folder.. nothing, I then set it to search in windows UPDATE, and FOUND it and istalled it a generic 4890 driver, still AMD's but old or something.
Once I rebooted , the screen was fine, Aero enabled and everything. THe weird thing is that in Catalyst it's MISSING the GPu Power options (to set GPU speed and everything), and I really use it a lot since I set the core to min when I'm not gaming... or set it higher for gaming.

Even then, I went and got GPU-z and it showed up propertly, also in Device Manager.
I installed then Unigine Heaven Benchmark and it detected the 4890 and with that I discarted any "wong hardware setup" ideas I was still having... it is defintely drivers/amd stuff.

est_cap

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Specs are on the spoiler:

"CPU: fx8350 B.E. / GPU: NONE (I'll explain that down) / Mobo: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 / 2x4Gb G. Skill Sniper 1600Mhz / Power source: Cooler Master GX 750w Bronze / I got an Aerocool case , 1TB Caviar HD, DVD Drive too "

No, I didn't install SP1 i think... but I don't think that's the problem. . . the 4890 didn't require such a thing in win 7 too, with another PC with a Phenom Ii 940...

Well I would not worry to much about it at this time since you are getting your new one. That card is so old I wonder if the newest mainstream drivers even have support for it.

I know I did have a problem close to yours trying to update the drivers on one of my Media PC's that has a 4890 in it and could not get the system working with the latest drivers ether. Not what you wanted to here I know but if it is only a few days it should not be to bad running with the Windows update drivers.

est_cap

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

Haha I'm getting a new 7950 , but the thing is that it shouldnt do this, I have 13.1 in the old PC and it works fine with the SAME 4890.. that's what makes me wonder how to solve this..

est_cap

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013

I installed .Net 4.5 before catalyst too.. forgot to mention, it said it wouldnt run without it , so I installed before catalyst ... ad the only thing I didn't try is W7 Sp1... I'll try that one right now and say if worked out.. thanks!

est_cap

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
One little thing to add... even being in "Standard VGA" driver without propper drivers, the Catalyst 12.1, 13. and 13.2 Beta 6 won't, in ANY case bother in the stage of "installing display driver" , wich turns off the screen for a seond and installs the driver. In my e-350 netbook, and in my other PC with this 4890, ALLWAYS, when formating, or re-installing the driver, does that.