Sign in with
Your question

Hdmi vs dvi gaming on high res monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2013 5:08:17 PM

Hello,

I have just purchased dell 2713 her res monitor to go with my new ibuypower rig with gtx680 card and ASUS P9X79 LE -- 2x USB 3.0 motherboard. I'm not sure see the "pow" I expected just yet and will look go to thier webiste download latest driver to be sure although this is new. I have a dvi connection currently which came iwth it and thier customer serv said to buy an hdmi cable which should help. From what I have read so far, they are same optical connections and hdmi only adds the audio. I also read where HDMI could limit res to 1080? SO my questions is wthwer thi might workout to provide me better ciolor and resolution or was the cus serv just giving me the run around ?
February 20, 2013 5:55:03 PM

You are going to get a better picture and higher resolutions with DVI. HDMI is an inferior cable. They gave you the run around. If you want to increase the "POW" toy with your monitor's settings. Temperature and saturation etc until you get it how you like.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2013 6:05:10 PM

Nice monitor.

Anything over 1080P(1920 x 1080) will require a dual link dvi connection I think.

Right click on your desktop and see if 2560 x 1440 is an option.

To get 2560 x 1440, I think you need a dual link cable which should have come with the monitor, and also a dual link dvi port on your GTX680.

Another option would be to connect via the displayport.

If you want to play with color settings and such, right click on the desktop and go to the Nvidia control panel.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2013 6:30:46 PM

There's no "quality" difference between HDMI and DVI, and HDMI version 1.4 is capable of running up to 4K resolutions. I prefer DVI and it sounds like a setting issue but Trying an HDMI cable can't hurt and if your using a single link DVI cable would fix it. I am sure the monitor supports 1.4, it's been out for years
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 20, 2013 6:32:02 PM

Up to 1080p DVI and HDMI are the same infact both send out the same digital signal with the exception of HDMI sending audio with the video signal. With HDMI 1.3 and above you can get higher resolution than 1080p but the cable GPU and monitor all must support 1.3 or higher to do that.
m
l
!