Solved

Pc freezing with discrete works fine with integrated

HI
2 days ago I installed a program the 5 minutes later my pc crashed (fans running but no display) then I turned it off then on and ran fine for a couple of minutes then the same happened, (the system was automatically switching to integrated graphics) so I did a system restore removed some viruses but the same happened some times my pc freezes and sometimes it restarts and switches to integrated
and my CPU , GPU temps are fine
so is it a hardware problem or software
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about freezing discrete works fine integrated
  1. I see your build in your sig. What is the make/model and wattage of your PSU?
  2. Sounds like a Dying video card, Whats the power supply that you're using?
  3. thenks for the fast replies
    a cheap brand actually
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ES-680-GD
  4. bayern said:
    thenks for the fast replies
    a cheap brand actually
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ES-680-GD


    I'd almost bet my next paycheck that's the issue right there. Do you have a friend or someone you can test your video card with? If not see if you can take it to a local pc shop or best buy and have them test the vid card before getting a new psu.
  5. well I am almost sure it's the psu cause the gpu temps are fines and since the problem started I tried it a couple of times and it ran well but after few minutes it freezes or crashes
  6. and I have been running this rig for a year if it matters
  7. Best bet would be that PSU. I would get that thing replaced with a quality PSU ASAP before it takes the rest of the system with it. That is if it is not already to late. It should be illegal to even sell PSU's like that.
  8. hehehe
    thanks for the replies
    do you have a good psu in mind less than 40$
  9. A Corsair CX430 should be fine for your needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
  10. Lol personally i would go for the XFX core edition psu same price just better build quality and better looking. For your information i'm facing the same problem and i'm pretty sure its the graphics card. My system freezes when gaming and have to switch it off manually (won't let me go into task manager)
  11. well is there a way to be sure of the cause of the problem
  12. bayern said:
    well is there a way to be sure of the cause of the problem

    Yup. Test the psu and graphics card in another machine. Thats about the only way to be certain besides replacing parts. Personally and not trying to discredit him but... I don't think Haider is correct. All signs point to the PSU and it's not exactly a reliable one :p.

    If.. it does end up being the card. Replace that psu anyways. That is the heart of your system and when a psu goes... (especially non quality) they can take other parts and sometimes the entire system with them.
  13. well now I tried to boot with my discrete card and nothing shows up and after few seconds the pc automatically switches to integrated graphics , is something wrong with my GPU or it has to do with the PSU
  14. Best answer
    bayern said:
    well now I tried to boot with my discrete card and nothing shows up and after few seconds the pc automatically switches to integrated graphics , is something wrong with my GPU or it has to do with the PSU

    The only way your going to be able to tell is testing the GPU in another machine. No one will have a tell tale way of knowing for sure if the card is dead. It can be the PSU no longer has enough umph to push the card and bombs out and resorts to integrated.

    BUT, I would stop trying to boot about 30 boots ago. There is a huge possibility when it comes to failing psu's that you could be ruining components.
  15. unoriginal1 said:
    Yup. Test the psu and graphics card in another machine. Thats about the only way to be certain besides replacing parts. Personally and not trying to discredit him but... I don't think Haider is correct. All signs point to the PSU and it's not exactly a reliable one :p.

    If.. it does end up being the card. Replace that psu anyways. That is the heart of your system and when a psu goes... (especially non quality) they can take other parts and sometimes the entire system with them.

    lol whats not correct? i didn't even say anything significant haha. Im 80% sure its a PSU problem cause i'm facing the same issue :P Replace it before it kills the system entirely.
  16. Make that a 100% Besides he needs to replace the PSU anyways. I would NOT trust a generic PSU (already made the mistake once running a 9600gso on a generic 250w psu haha)
  17. haider95 said:
    lol whats not correct? i didn't even say anything significant haha. Im 80% sure its a PSU problem cause i'm facing the same issue :P Replace it before it kills the system entirely.

    I thought that you were saying it was the graphics card due to this statement. "For your information i'm facing the same problem and i'm pretty sure its the graphics card."

    I apologize if i read it wrong. Wasn't trying to offend, was just stating I didn't feel the card was the issue. Regardless... To OP a quick test of the card in a diff system will give you the answer :p.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product