500w too little for GTX 660 FTW Sig2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundayz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Solution
D
A bad PSU can cause all sorts of instability issues. That being said I would rule out all other possible causes but I would ditch the TR2 ASAP no matter what.

Check both CPU and GPU temps. HWMonitor is a very good program for this. Check at idle and under load.

What are the rest of your components? Is it a new build or did it work fine then the problems started out of nowhere?

You can test CPU/RAM stability with Prime 95. Test GPU stability with Furmark.

If it's a new buid you will also want to test the RAM with an 8 to 10 hour run of memtest. If you need help using memtest just ask.
D

Deleted member 217926

A single GTX 660 only needs a recommended quality 430w power supply.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Tha bad news is the Thermaltake TR2 is one of the worst power supplies on the market. Notice where it falls on this tier list.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

So it very well could be the power supply. Do you have another one you can test with?

If you do need a new one stick with a quality brand. Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec are all good. You will be able to find a model from one of these brands as cheap if not cheaper than a junk brand. Avoid Thermaltake and Coolermaster power suplies.

InEvX

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

I run an overclocked Gigabyte 660 TI OC with 460 PSU. Absolutely no problems at all what so ever.
I don't believe it's your PSU. Try reinstalling your Nvidia drivers?

mundayz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Hmmm, so if it is the power supply do the symptoms I've described sound similar to what you'd find with a poor psu?

I kinda thought if it was the PSU, the computer wouldn't boot at all.

And I've also uninstalled and reinstalled different drivers and tried running games in dx9 vs dx11. I really get the same issue and it's really random when it'll happen.

D

Deleted member 217926

A bad PSU can cause all sorts of instability issues. That being said I would rule out all other possible causes but I would ditch the TR2 ASAP no matter what.

Check both CPU and GPU temps. HWMonitor is a very good program for this. Check at idle and under load.

What are the rest of your components? Is it a new build or did it work fine then the problems started out of nowhere?

You can test CPU/RAM stability with Prime 95. Test GPU stability with Furmark.

If it's a new buid you will also want to test the RAM with an 8 to 10 hour run of memtest. If you need help using memtest just ask.

Solution

mundayz

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

It's kind of a newer build, it's an i5 3450, corsair h60, asrock z77 pro3 mobo, corsair vengence 8gb 1600 DDR3.

I used the nvidia oc gpu stress test and didn't find anything. I'm beginning to think it was the GPU itself.

I had sent it in for RMA and this is the one I received back.

Status
Not open for further replies.