Newer card not as good?!

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hi. My old computer went wrong, I bought a new one. Both from same place, both the same price with around 2 years from buying first to second.

Old

AMD Phenom 550 black edition 3.4gig (Confuses me why it's 3.4 since they only made 3.1ghz models, it's set to auto in bios and I didn't over clock it, when setting to 15.5x multiplier for 3.1ghz it goes unstable, but regardless, not the point)
4 gig ram
ATI 6670 2gig (I think it's DDR3)

Vs

Intel i5 2320
8 gig ram
ATI 5750 1gig (I'm not 100% sure now, I think I read on HWinfo it was DDR5 but I actually think it's DDR3)

Both win 7. Newer computer latest drivers (on everything) Older computer not latest drivers.

Still waiting for a CPU fan as it was over heating. So I could only test briefly.

When I got this computer, I could see very little difference in performance for some games, in fact it felt worse for some. However, games like BF3 ran what seemed to be a lot better, then games like skyrim not so much.

I just tested them both with saints row the 3rd running at the same time, on exactly the same settings. It was EXTREMELY sluggish on my new computer. When I turned down the lighting, it ran fine.

Is it a much worse card? I thought it was better (I know their not both not great but in comparison to each other). I'm unsure about swapping them over but if it is a much better card, then I guess I should.

TLDR?

What's better, ATI 5750 1gig or a 6670 2gig.

If the latter, then why is it performing so much worse? If I do have to swap them out, I'm a little worried about the PSU and don't want to end up buying a new one (I've just spent a fortune on fixing the old).

I have a feeling the reason why your CPU is advertised as being able to get to 3.4 ghz is because either it can be overclocked to that point or possibly that it turbo's to that point meaning that when you place stress on your CPU that it will speed up to that point.

I would say the 5750 is the stronger card from what I remember back when I had a 5770 was that the 6770 offered very similar performance and there wasn't a huge increase in performance. It wasn't till the 7000 Series that this changed. Also keep in mind that you purchased a card with a lower 2nd number and the 2nd number applies to what market the card is being directed towards. So going up a generation but down a number would probably yield similar to worse results.

Kari

Splendid

he went the other way.. and secondly 6770 was just renamed 5770 with support for hdmi 1.4a, it was otherwise identicall.

Yea that was what I was going with it. Trying to explain the process of thinking something is better based on the series number being higher but not necessarily so because of the 2nd number identifying more.

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

No, the cpu is 3.4ghz at all times. It's not overclocked, and I can't set it to 3.1 without it causing issues for some reason.

As for the card, I had absolutely no choice, I'm not going to go into massive detail as to why, it's in another thread somewhere though, and it was with the computer, I just had assumed it being same model just higher number that it would be better...and you'd f'ing think so for the same price in the same place just 2 years later. It was the best they had unfortunately.

Thanks though. Guess I'll have to swap cards over :S.

Do you know of a better one that would be fine on a 450w PSU (which thanks to the ******s where I got it they made damn sure it's hard to upgrade with a tiny case, 1 pci slot for the GPU and a tiny mobo. Im kinda pissed but as I said, I had no choice at the time.

No worries. Well good news you are able to change your case at any point in time if you so choose so that is still a option. You can get quite a bit with a 450W power supply but without knowing the quality of the unit which goes into the branding the oem, the model number of the unit its hard to tell you. Again I'm sorry you had a bad experience with those who advised you before. Hopefully going forward having a community of people on the forums will help you.

Kari

Splendid
your 'new' 5750 should be faster than the 6670 you had in the old pc, if it is performing worse then there is something wrong with the setup..
and your new cpu is most certainly faster than the old one

azriul

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

No, the 5750 is the old one. In my old computer, which went wrong.

I live on an island.
PC world came to the island
PC world destroyed every local shop on the island
PC world then decided to stop selling desktops
I originally got a pre-built PC from there as a gift (I usually build my own)
It went wrong, I HATE buying parts online due to many bad experiences, so I use to order from local shops, which, got taken down thanks to PC world. I actually tried again recently with buying a new component off amazon to fix the old computer, waste of money, it basically didn't fix it so I've had to buy yet another piece and still waiting for it.
When the old one went wrong, I didn't have time to mess around so I went and bought another, pre-built one, got the best one they had in the shop, from a "massive" choice of Six. I was unsure of it then, knew I would regret it, and did. I remember even asking if the card was better, and he blatantly said leaps and bounds better. He did a benchmark test and it was hitting 170 FPS on something I never thought my last would get even 50 on.

What annoys me more now is finding out that AMD never made a 3.4ghz CPU of that chip in my old computer (however, everything was much better quality in it which just annoys me further) and yet they sold it as 3.4ghz. It runs fine but perhaps it's why the water cooler went first, but when changing the multiplier in the bios to 15.5x from auto (There's no reset factory default in it, only reset optimised, so I pulled the battery for 15 mins first, but still set 3.4ghz) it crashed on everything, it was so unstable, which is weird, since I would have thought "underclocking" it to it's proper value would have been fine. Soon as I set it back to auto it's back on 3.4ghz and running fine. Except for overheating, since despite the new heatsink I bought was universal and was suppose to fit an AM2+/Am3 socket, it left rather a large percentage of the CPU uncovered. Cleaned it numerous times and tried different amounts of thermal paste, but in the end, bought a new cooler, so will see when it comes if this is the first time I've ever been lucky with an electronic part bought online.

Back to the original problem though, I'm a little unsure about putting in my old GPU into the new computer since the PSU is only 450w and looks pretty cheap with just a massive "MADE IN CHINA" sign on the side, nothing else, and since the old 5750 is recommended for a 450w while the 6670 is 400w and I've already had BSOD since day 1 (stop x101 which is vcore I think) I feel a little unsure, albeit pissed off and fed up with it.

But the 6670 was in my new computer, while the 5750 in my old. Which is what started the thread due to the old one performing so much better.

If you are concerned about your power supply and would like a suggestion there are a couple that I would recommend in terms of peace of mind and obtaining quality components.

Corsair TX650v2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

XFX Core 550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550
XFX Core 650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

As a point of reference this is what I'm running.
DSCN0183_zpse3950836.jpg

Kari

Splendid

lol then you probably should edit the first post, it clearly says the exact opposite :kaola: