Solved

Is it worth keeping the 7850 or moving to the 7870

so i just received the msi 7850 2gb oc and i have been looking at the 7870 and i am having some doubts.. is it worth switching to the 7870 for $30 more?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about worth keeping 7850 moving 7870
  1. Yes, a 7870 can handle 1080P on a 24" screen or less.
  2. juan334 said:
    so i just received the msi 7850 2gb oc and i have been looking at the 7870 and i am having some doubts.. is it worth switching to the 7870 for $30 more?

Worth is something only YOU can determine.

If you have doubts and can return the card and change your order for $30, then that is a fair thing to do.

Or... why not a 7950 or GTX670?
  3. Best answer
    I wouldn't. you may face a restock charge ( you lose ) plus return shipping ( you lose ) is that worth the 10fps more you might get?

i wouldn't do anything unless I could make a real upgrade. and that's after I rode the card for all she's worth.
  4. AlienIsGOD said:
    Yes, a 7870 can handle 1080P on a 24" screen or less.

physical size of screen has nothing to do with it.
  5. I would say go for nvidia thats an improvement dosent matter which you buy
  6. swifty_morgan said:
    I wouldn't. you may face a restock charge ( you lose ) plus return shipping ( you lose ) is that worth the 10fps more you might get?

i wouldn't do anything unless I could make a real upgrade. and that's after I rode the card for all she's worth.
    +1
  7. rawens-ward said:
    I would say go for nvidia thats an improvement dosent matter which you buy

that's terrible advice.
  8. daswilhelm said:
    that's terrible advice.
    :lol: i saw that and decided to just ignore it. I agree with you though.
  9. bigcyco1 said:
    :lol: i saw that and decided to just ignore it. I agree with you though.

i couldn't ignore it, some people believe what they read, i'd hate to see the OP go out and buy a 620...
  10. rawens-ward said:
    I would say go for nvidia thats an improvement dosent matter which you buy

you clearly aren't biased or anything.
  11. Anyways Just OC a bit see what you get compared to the 7870, and move on from their and determine whether its worth the extra money, if not maybe you could put it towards other things: mouse, keyboard, headset, etc.
  12. daswilhelm said:
    i couldn't ignore it, some people believe what they read, i'd hate to see the OP go out and buy a 620...
    Good point.
  13. I would say stick with the 7850. It should be fine in games until the next generation of video cards come out, then you can really look at upgrading.
  14. i guess i dont wat to get charged the restocking so i might just stick with this card but that nvidia comment did make me laugh
  15. juan334 said:
    i guess i dont wat to get charged the restocking so i might just stick with this card but that nvidia comment did make me laugh

Depending on where you bought it, you could ask if you exchanged it, unopened, what would they charge you to upgrade.
    If you have already opened it, there should be some sort of a fee because they can not then resell it as new. Do not pay a big price diffential since the cards are very close in capability.
  16. Best answer selected by juan334.
  17. i'm staying with it, thanks everyone
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics MSI-Microstar