ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV

Faceman

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
Hi, I've heard the AIW 8500DV runs slower than the retail 8500 but can be overclocked to the 8500s retail speeds - is this true, and if so, is it difficult to do?

Secondly, what really pissed me off with my DC10+ capture card is that it would only work in it's own editing program - will the AIW 8500DV run in other programs, like Premiere?

Thirdly, is the capture quality and features as good as a stand alone capture card or is it really just for people who want to record stuff to VCD? I'm an amateur film maker and need to send it back to tape, so it needs to be fairly good quality.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Hi, I've heard the AIW 8500DV runs slower than the retail 8500 but can be overclocked to the 8500s retail speeds - is this true, and if so, is it difficult to do?

<font color=green>It can be overclocked, but I have no idea how easily. Yoyu would be better off asking this in the overclocking 3d chips forum.</font color=green>

Secondly, what really pissed me off with my DC10+ capture card is that it would only work in it's own editing program - will the AIW 8500DV run in other programs, like Premiere?

<font color=green>Yes</font color=green>

Thirdly, is the capture quality and features as good as a stand alone capture card or is it really just for people who want to record stuff to VCD? I'm an amateur film maker and need to send it back to tape, so it needs to be fairly good quality.

<font color=green>It's a very good quality capture, but not professional quality. It should be good enough for tape though.</font color=green>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yes & its a peace of cake ... to try it. :)

<A HREF="http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm" target="_new">PowerStrip 3.15</A>

if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<i><font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...<font color=red>

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
Yes, AIW 8500DV will capture into any program that supports DirectShow capture, but it will not function for capturing with any program that requires Video-for-Windows capture (Netmeeting, Premiere 6.0, etc.). Microsoft updated MSN Messager (NetMeeting's replacement) to support DirectShow capture, but Adobe has not yet updated Premiere.

You can still use Premiere with the ATI AIW products if you first capture using ATI's capture utility and then import the file into Premiere. The difficulty here is that ATI uses a .MP2 file format and extention that Premiere doesn't seem to support. Even changing the extention to the more stantard .MPG, while allowing Premiere to see the file, doesn't allow it to read the file.

The blame here falls on both parties:

1) ATI - Microsoft has left a very easy-to-implement backward compatibility function available for DirectShow drivers to pipe to Video-for-Windows only devices. ATI has refused to implement this. Maybe out of laziness - this is nothing new with ATI. Maybe due to pressure from Microsoft - Even with Win2K and ME which both had DirectShow support, Microsoft refused to update Netmeeting to support DirectShow. This forces users to upgrade to WinXP to use their DirectShow only devices and pushes people to the Microsoft monopoly friendly (passport account) MSN Messenger.

2) Adobe - Adobe has had years now to upgrade Premiere to support DirectShow, but it still only functions with VFW. Is this due to friction between the two companies or is Adobe just being its normal self and refusing to follow the rest of the industry?

The included (with the AIW) video editing software, VideoWave III, is actually pretty good, but Premiere support could be better. I have been successful at using Premiere by saving in other formats other than MP2, or by converting my MP2s to another format (like AVI).

I thought a thought, but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I had thought.

Faceman

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it :) Now I've got a new question. It seems ATI is releasing a Radeon AIW 8500 128mb version which appears to be nearly identical to the 8500DV with a couple exceptions; the first being more RAM (128mb over 64mb) clocked at faster speeds and the second being the drop of the firewire ports and DVI-I connector (what did this DVI-I thing do by the way?).

Now this means if I get this new 128mb version I wont be able to capture from or export to a DV camcorder, but if I get a separate Firewire board will I be able to do it? Or does the card need to have the capability built-in or something?

Hope someone can shed some light on this :)

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, if you get the AIW R8500 128MB and a Firewire card, you'll be able to still capture video from your DV camcorder. Also, with the 3.3ns BGA RAM, you'll be able to do some serious overclocking!

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
The DVI-I connector is a Digital Video (or Visual) Interface (combo) connector. It allows interfacing to digital LCD displays as well as more traditional analog CRT and LCD displays. Both the AIW Radeon 8500 (128MB) and 8500DV (64MB + FW) have DVI-I.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.