Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How does a 7970 compare with ps4 GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2013 12:13:49 AM

How does a 7970 compare with a PS4's GPU? Sony released this about the ps4's GPU.
---->
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS,  AMD next-generation Radeon™ basedgraphics engine

What does TFLOPS mean???

More about : 7970 compare ps4 gpu

February 21, 2013 12:39:48 AM

Teraflops...FLOPS are a unit of measurment for processing power...the GTX Titan has something like almost 5 teraflops, and a 7970 has almost 4 teraflops.
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:56:00 AM

So is a 7970 twice as powerful as the ps4's GPU?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 21, 2013 1:20:48 AM

Not necessarily, there is SO MUCH more to determining GPU performance than just FLOPS, like VRAM, CUDA cores, clock speed, memory bandwidth, so on and so forth. SO we won't know for sure until sony tells us what the EXACT GPU is...odds are it is not going to be anywhere near as powerful as a 7970 that is a great card and the integrated graphics they put in consoles just don't stack up to discrete video cards in PC's

For the most part the more Flops the better the GPU, but not always.
February 21, 2013 1:30:42 AM

Also comparing a computer GPU and a console GPU is not the same. A console is going to be designed for gaming only. The operating system on a console is going to limit the Gpu less than windows 7, or whatever you use. So it doesn't quite scale to each other...
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:33:13 AM

ikes9711 said:
Also comparing a computer GPU and a console GPU is not the same. A console is going to be designed for gaming only. The operating system on a console is going to limit the Gpu less than windows 7, or whatever you use. So it doesn't quite scale to each other...

True it's almost like comparing desktop graphics to mobile graphics...a GTX 670 and a GTX 670M might sound the same...but the 670M is not as good.
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:36:56 AM

since the P4 is using 1 or more APUs plus some discrete AMD GPU, we might just look at that number and figure we're probably looking at something along the lines of a 7770... and since its GCN we're probably talking about a Richland A10-6800k + the 7750 in dual graphic to hit those tflop numbers.

of course since this is being designed specifically for sony, they might be able to pull more performance out of the existing a10-5800k + 6670 dual graphics combo... either way it won't be a particularly "amazing" system. They're looking at 30fps max for 1080p. that's what the hardware is spec'ed to.

An a10-5800k + 6670 can do that with the right ram, right now.
m
l
February 21, 2013 1:46:18 AM

ingtar33 said:
since the P4 is using 1 or more APUs plus some discrete AMD GPU, we might just look at that number and figure we're probably looking at something along the lines of a 7770... and since its GCN we're probably talking about a Richland A10-6800k + the 7750 in dual graphic to hit those tflop numbers.

of course since this is being designed specifically for sony, they might be able to pull more performance out of the existing a10-5800k + 6670 dual graphics combo... either way it won't be a particularly "amazing" system. They're looking at 30fps max for 1080p. that's what the hardware is spec'ed to.

An a10-5800k + 6670 can do that with the right ram, right now.

I didn't think an APU could work alongside a discrete card like that.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:09:55 AM

Ok cool, I have had my build for about 5 months now and was actually thinking about buying a ps4 because I thought the graphics were gona be epic, but from what you guys are saying I should be able to play next gen games with my current specs correct? I can't max crysis 3 which is also on ps3 that's what got me wondering if I was going to be able to play ps4 level games.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:15:06 AM

Maxing a game on a PC vs what a counsel is showing on a TV is way different. For example battlefield three on PC with your 7970 should be on ultra at around 60 FPS and lets say 4x AA. On counsels it'd be low or possibly medium settings with no advanced features. Expect something similar in crysis 3, counsels will almost definitely be on low where you're going to be on high.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:31:15 AM

The difference is that although the PS4 might have weak hardware compared to a typical PC, it can do far more with it because the games can be optimized solely for one set of hardware. Thats why if you took a PC and built it to the same kind of stupidly weak specs the 'current' gen consoles are at, you'd be lucky to get pacman going.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:36:07 AM

Also, console games are designed to run at around 30fps, but most people are actually more comfortable with something running at 60fps (which is what most people gaming on a computer are going for). Going for 30 to 60fps is an extremely noticeable change.

Take a look at:
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:44:55 AM

roaddoc326 said:
I didn't think an APU could work alongside a discrete card like that.

APUs can do something like "crossfire" with one compatible graphics core. The a10-5800k uses a graphics core based on the "Turks" GPU structure. Which means the A10-5800k can crossfire (they call it dual graphics) with an HD 6670 or HD 6570. Dual graphics doesn't work as well as crossfire... likely because the tech is so new... right now it only works with Directx11 games. Anything else and the dual graphics function doesn't work.

the A10-6800k is supposed to be sporting a GCN core... and from what it looks like on the leaked specs it's generally assumed it will be based on the Cape Verde core structure, which means you would be able to use dual graphics with a 7750 or 7770.

I somehow doubt it though. They're talking about a 20-40% gpu improvement... that would be 7750 range... as the 6670 to 7750 is about a 30% improvement. But you can pull 20-40% improvement out of the A10-5800k GPU performance with a little overclocking and some really fast ram. So they don't NEED to go to a Cape Verde GPU core to see that type of performance gain.

We'll see in march.

---EDIT---

Just looked it up, the Richland A10-6800k will use an Oland GPU core. The Oland is the "successor" to the 6670/7670 Turks GPU, and is part of the HD8xxx series release. (8670)

So Richland will be sporting a new GPU core meant to xfire with an all new GPU brand... which likely remain a step behind and below the 77xx in series performance.

Not sure when the 8670/8650 will go on sale but right now its being put into pcs as an OEM part... just like the 6670/6650 was prior to being brought to market. So we'll probably have to wait till the A10-6800k is released before we see any 8670 on the shelves as well.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:54:50 AM

lolz are peeps who think the new gen consoles will be based on current pc gen stuff.

i think you are being taking for a ride, just like 7 years ago when 360/ps3 were much faster than pc's for about 4 months after release.

vastly more money this time around has been spent by microsoft/sony to keep/make/force nvidia/amd from releaseing anything faster to the pc market than the new gen consoles for a certain amount of time..... PERIOD... end of story.

anyone who doubts this doesn't understand business.

if ps4/xbox720 are slower than computers when they come out.... they will fail and it will be a miserable fail at best.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:12:10 AM

I want proof that a 360 or PS3 was faster than a computer at that time. I don't believe that for a second.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:17:18 AM

nikoli707 said:
lolz are peeps who think the new gen consoles will be based on current pc gen stuff.

i think you are being taking for a ride, just like 7 years ago when 360/ps3 were much faster than pc's for about 4 months after release.

vastly more money this time around has been spent by microsoft/sony to keep/make/force nvidia/amd from releaseing anything faster to the pc market than the new gen consoles for a certain amount of time..... PERIOD... end of story.

if ps4/xbox720 are slower than computers when they come out.... they will fail and it will be a miserable fail at best.

there is cards out right now that are better than what is going to be in the ps4 and 720...Nvidia and AMD would never be grabbed by the balls by sony or microsoft for console stuff...their main market is PC hardware.
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:04:14 PM

roaddoc326 said:
Not necessarily, there is SO MUCH more to determining GPU performance than just FLOPS, like VRAM, CUDA cores, clock speed, memory bandwidth, so on and so forth. SO we won't know for sure until sony tells us what the EXACT GPU is...odds are it is not going to be anywhere near as powerful as a 7970 that is a great card and the integrated graphics they put in consoles just don't stack up to discrete video cards in PC's

For the most part the more Flops the better the GPU, but not always.

The Standalone cards in PC's are where things go wrong. AMD has it down with the new APU style setups. Having a card is extra latency and power and heat generation. Having a GPu combined CPu as is the nextgen console setup, equates to less power draw and far less latency, for snappier/ faster performance. Old integrated GPU setups on PC, previously, sucked...true...
m
l
February 21, 2013 12:14:21 PM

nikoli707 said:

Sorry but that's just stupid, obviously the hardware will extremely inferior to top end PCs, it's just that it's so well optimised - but even then it won't come close to playing modern games at extremely high resolutions with insanely high framerates, not to mention the video quality of PCs will be superior.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:04:12 PM

Console is to Apple as PC is to ... well PC.

Consoles, like most Apple products, just work. You don't get much freedom in customization, but anything that can be put/played on it will work on it and work well. Every game is designed to be played on one system and is optimized to that system. You may not get High settings at 60 FPS, but you get a playable game that works every time you put in the disc.

PCs offer more freedom in customization ... a LOT more. You can fine tune just about anything it you want to. You can swap out components to give yourself better performance, you can achieve higher framerates and quality than consoles, etc. The downside is with all of the different configurations possible with hardware and software, it makes it harder for game and software developers to create a product that is compatible with the vast majority of configurations, especially as technology advances.

To each their own, but in response to the OP, it is doubtful the PS4's GPU will be able to shake a stick at the HD 7970, but as said above, it's not meant to. Apples to oranges.
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:45:27 PM

Best answer selected by wudafuxup.
m
l
May 23, 2013 10:11:23 AM

Sony doesn't specify whether they measured teraflops in single precision or double precision, if it is single precision it is near the power of the 7850, if measured in double precision it is comparable to the 7990
m
l
May 25, 2013 6:56:53 PM

nikoli707 said:

I'm sorry but.. >.<
PS4/ Xbox One faster than a decent gaming PC.
You gotta be kiddin me man.
So you're saying that the PS4 / XBox One are going to be more powerful than a decent gaming PC with a 7950 or so and a i5 3570 or something.....
:raiseeyebrow:

m
l
May 30, 2013 3:51:48 PM

There are several things to consider. First, as noted by several game developers, a console is between 2x and 3x faster than a windows PC with the same hardware:

1.84 TFLOP on console --> 3.68--5.52 TFLOP on a windows PC

Second, the GPU on the console has supercharged architecture elements such as HSA and hUMA not found in PCs. E.g. hUMA eliminates the bottlenecks/latencies of the PCI bus used in a PC. This means extra performance above the previous figures, but tech. details are not leaked and nobody knows the exact gain.

Third, the PS4 comes with 8 GB GDDR5. The 7970 has 3 GB VRAM and is almost sure couldn't play some games with the same quality than the PS4 by going out of memory. A recent demo of the future PS4 game is already using 3 GB of VRAM, which means cannot run on PCs with 1 GB and 2 GB VRAM graphics card.

Several experts are recommending as safe option to be able to match the PS4 games Nvidia GTX Titan and AMD HD Radeon 7990
m
l
May 30, 2013 5:15:34 PM

juanrga said:
There are several things to consider. First, as noted by several game developers, a console is between 2x and 3x faster than a windows PC with the same hardware:

Second, the GPU on the console has supercharged architecture elements such as HSA and hUMA not found in PCs. E.g. hUMA eliminates the bottlenecks/latencies of the PCI bus used in a PC. This means extra performance above the previous figures, but tech. details are not leaked and nobody knows the exact gain.

Third, the PS4 comes with 8 GB GDDR5. The 7970 has 3 GB VRAM and is almost sure could play some games with the same quality than the PS4 by going out of memory. A recent demo of the future PS4 game is already using 3 GB of VRAM, which means cannot riun on PCs with 1 GB and 2 GB VRAM graphics card.

Several experts are recommending as safe option to be able to match the PS4 games Nvidia GTX Titan and AMD HD Radeon 7990

you don't really know what you're talking about. That's a combined system/video ram.

Both systems are strictly 1080p 30fps units. there won't be more then that coming out of them. That's what they're designed for. Trust me on this one. no matter how pretty they make it, any moderately high end modern gpu and mid level gaming cpu will be able to handle 1080p and 30fps graphics.

and any expert suggesting someone get a 7990 isn't an expert i'd listen to. he really doesn't know anything. 1080p, no matter how pretty won't use more then 2gbs of vram.
m
l
May 30, 2013 5:57:11 PM

ingtar33 said:
juanrga said:

Third, the PS4 comes with 8 GB GDDR5. The 7970 has 3 GB VRAM and is almost sure could play some games with the same quality than the PS4 by going out of memory. A recent demo of the future PS4 game is already using 3 GB of VRAM, which means cannot riun on PCs with 1 GB and 2 GB VRAM graphics card.

you don't really know what you're talking about. That's a combined system/video ram.

Both systems are strictly 1080p 30fps units. there won't be more then that coming out of them. That's what they're designed for. Trust me on this one. no matter how pretty they make it, any moderately high end modern gpu and mid level gaming cpu will be able to handle 1080p and 30fps graphics.

and any expert suggesting someone get a 7990 isn't an expert i'd listen to. he really doesn't know anything. 1080p, no matter how pretty won't use more then 2gbs of vram.

LOL What collection of expertise nonsense!

Yes those 8GB are unified memory. If you read my message you can find me mentioning hUMA. Do you know what is hUMA?

But being unified memory changes nothing what I said. Being unified merely mean that developers can split it into system+VRAM at their own choice and needs. I wait games to be using up to 4 GB for VRAM, maybe more.

As said above there is a demo of a future PS4 game which is already using 3 GB VRAM, last time that I checked my college maths 3 GB VRAM > 2 GB VRAM...

m
l
May 30, 2013 6:30:07 PM

juanrga said:
ingtar33 said:
juanrga said:

LOL What collection of expertise nonsense!

Yes those 8GB are unified memory. If you read my message you can find me mentioning hUMA. Do you know what is hUMA?

But being unified memory changes nothing what I said. Being unified merely mean that developers can split it into system+VRAM at their own choice and needs. I wait games to be using up to 4 GB for VRAM, maybe more.

As said above there is a demo of a future PS4 game which is already using 3 GB VRAM, last time that I checked my college maths 3 GB VRAM > 2 GB VRAM...

How do you know it's using 3gb of vram... and not 3gb of TOTAL ram. i highly doubt (BECAUSE of hUMA) the system will be able to tell you which is being used for which.

and please... hUMA is what will take the APU to the next level. It's what AMD is banking on with their APU push and their goal is to utilize gpu and cpu processing combined on tasks sharing ram (not separate ram). It's their solution to intel's gaming dominance, and by getting into the two main counsels, they're going to try to leverage it to make the APU far more viable down the road as a gaming/processing platform.
m
l
May 31, 2013 9:59:47 AM

ingtar33 said:
How do you know it's using 3gb of vram... and not 3gb of TOTAL ram. i highly doubt (BECAUSE of hUMA) the system will be able to tell you which is being used for which.

Total memory used about 4.6 GB, with 3GB being dedicated to VRAM as follows:

* Non-Streaming Textures: 1321MB
* Render Targets: 800MB
* Streaming Pool (1.6GB of streaming data): 572MB
* Meshes: 315MB
* CUE Heap (49x): 32MB
* ES-GS Buffer: 16MB
* GS-VS Buffer: 16MB

I merely snip rest of nonsense in your post.
m
l
May 31, 2013 10:43:35 AM

Well, interesting discussion..

I have no knowledge about how powerfull console platform is..

But, microsoft mention xbox one will use cloud to help rendering process while gaming, that means, it will need super fast internet connection to enjoy excellent graphics quality..
Can we assume that xbox one has horrible hardware or what..?
m
l
May 31, 2013 11:52:33 AM

Quaddro said:
Well, interesting discussion..

I have no knowledge about how powerfull console platform is..

But, microsoft mention xbox one will use cloud to help rendering process while gaming, that means, it will need super fast internet connection to enjoy excellent graphics quality..
Can we assume that xbox one has horrible hardware or what..?

probably... i know the leaked specs of the ps4 make it about 3x (or more) the machine the xbox 1 is.
m
l
June 9, 2013 12:39:37 AM

Taken from my trusted source techradar:

The One has a GPU along the lines of a 7790, while the PS4 along the lines of a 7850 - 7870
m
l
June 10, 2013 11:46:51 PM

Your all comparing a 399$ system to a what? 1500$ sytem? yeah Im sure a 1500$ system is way better.
m
l
June 14, 2013 6:27:04 PM

wudafuxup said:
Ok cool, I have had my build for about 5 months now and was actually thinking about buying a ps4 because I thought the graphics were gona be epic, but from what you guys are saying I should be able to play next gen games with my current specs correct? I can't max crysis 3 which is also on ps3 that's what got me wondering if I was going to be able to play ps4 level games.

You should be able to max Crysis 3 unless you are at 1440P. That is a BEASTLY system, just saying ;) 
m
l
September 1, 2013 2:01:23 AM

actually the PS4 is 1080P 60fps console as seen in battlefield running 64 player online multiplayer running at 60 fps. You don't see the better graphics on a PC until the next gen consoles come out anyway. Developers go where the money is and the minimal amount of people who own and buy games for a PC with hi end graphics cards doesn't compare to the tens of millions who buy consoles. Plus the time it takes to create graphics in the detail they do today is the harder part not the specs of the machine if anything a better graphics card means more work which costs more money so going the pace of the mainstream is always more profitable than the higher end. PS3 is going to be getting it's best games while the new consoles take time to sell and you already see the quality of next gen leaking into ps3 games. And developers only have a PC card 2.5 times as powerful as the next gen consoles plus they have to animate and render everything under that speed and that's only if their developing on a brand new computer which most probably don't do. Yes you can buy a PC as good as a developer uses but it doesn't do any good if the content isn't there yet. Take a look at Final Fantasy 15 that game has been in development for 7 years they show it on the ps3 as final fantasy 13 versus and you can see the difference in quality over time as they change the name to FF15 and keep adding to the graphics and eventually commit to next gen consoles. That game tells the whole story of how long it takes to make the graphics look as good as they do. Plus you don't see the next gen games coming out on PC's at least for a while.
m
l
!