No idea if any 660 ti GPU could fit in my computer.

ruemaster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
I wanted to purchase a 660 ti in the mean time before I start saving money trying building a better computer. The problem is Hey everyone! I'm not sure if any 660 ti could fit in my computer. My current GPU is a Radeon HD 4850 that's about 8 inches in length. This computer is about 5-6 years old. It's an FX6800-01e. The motherboard is an Intel X58.

The problem though in the image below with the yellow circle where the Sata cable plugs into extrudes up a little (I know I'm asking to guys to see something you can't hardly see through a photo). I'm pretty sure a 660ti card would easily not fit because of just that small piece popping up. Second, the one with the red circle is what holds the cable in place in which I'm sure you guys already know. But trying to fit a card there would easily be blocked. I yanked on it a little and it's pretty hard to remove without some force. Then my last and final issue is the PCI slot on top. The cables to the right would block my card also. Every 660ti card I seen is at least 10 inches in length besides one which is 9 inches (EVGA GTX 660 Ti).
gedc0345.jpg

The second image is a closer look at the Sata cable
gedc0349v.jpg

I'm not sure if I should just save up and get a different motherboard, bigger computer case, and a new CPU and just go on from there. I just wanted to play my current games and upcoming ones in a decent amount of FPS without low settings. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

spawnkiller

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
That would be really close if that fit... I suggest that you buy a larger case to put the 660ti in the first X16 slot (as the second is X8) and possibly relocate the X1 card in the bottom X8 slot (it'll be working right even if it don't need the X8 bandwith)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I don't think there should be a bottleneck issue with one GTX 660 Ti, maybe with multi-card configurations and very high end graphics cards. X58 chipsets are for the i7 first generation CPUs, which is not really a bad CPU even today. If he's not satisfied with the performance, he can always overclock the CPU.

there was a similar thread yesterday i think, for this i suggest you try a 90degree angled sata cable. even if you dont have the gpu yet it should give you an idea.

also, in the future, consider the sata location and orientation before getting a mother board

ruemaster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Thanks for the help everyone, I'll most likely invest in a bigger case and look into motherboards. Also, with an 660 ti their really shouldn't be a bottle necking issue that I know of. Cons, I also looked into that, but its the port the Sata cables plug into is what pops up. Not the cable themselves.

ruemaster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
Sorry for the double post fellas, this is the piece right here that concerns me the most rather or not if a card would fit over this piece or would it get bumped up because of it? Sorry if this is an idiotic question, still in the learning process.

screenshot20120725at125.png