My Pictures - lost thumbnail view

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
After changing some file associations I no longer get a thumbnail view in the My Pictures folder. It just shows square with the associated programs icon and not a thumbnail of the picture. Is there a way to get the thumbnails to display again? I'm running a fresh installation of Win2k with sp1 and IE 5 sp1. Before the new computer and fresh install the thumbnails were working with the new file associations. I've tried to associate the graphic files with other apps with no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated. After some investigation, I think I might know the reason the thumbnails stopped displaying. In explorer I disabled web content, picked a folder and chose to diplay details, then using the folder options|view at the top menu I hit the button that sets all folders like the current one. I think this may have changed some special attribute that the My Pictures folder might have had that displayed the thumbnails. Now, if this if true, how do I reset the folder attributes? Oh, I did click on the reset all folders and restore defaults buttons in the folder options|view menu, but it didn't help. I've also been restarting win2k in-between changes. Help...

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey THANKS!!!!
I have fixed the problem. Basically windows (by default) adds a key to the .jpg (for example) key that tells windows to diplay the thumbnail. Well, stupid me, instead of just changing the associated program with all the image file types, I deleted the file type, then clicked on an image file, and then picked my program of choice. This basically recreated the key without the neccesary additional sub-key that displays the thumbnail. The KB article speaks only of .jpg files but the fix works for .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, and .gif files. So there it is...

Al

TRENDING THREADS