Remanufactured palm Vx for $79 at Fry's

April 20, 2004 6:28:27 PM

I am in the market for a palm PDA and I just saw an advertisement for
remanufactured plam Vx,8MB for $79 at Fry's electronics.

These come in just a cardboard box with no information or
documentation. The salesman at Fry's said that they are only for
someone who knows exactly what they want.

Has anybody bought one of these? Was there some sort of massive recall
of these units? Is there anything I should watch out for?

thanks!
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 7:08:22 PM

> I am in the market for a palm PDA and I just saw an advertisement for
> remanufactured plam Vx,8MB for $79 at Fry's electronics.
>
> Has anybody bought one of these? Was there some sort of massive recall
> of these units? Is there anything I should watch out for?

They're simply business leases, returns, etc. that have been
refurbished and given another life. Nothing new ... you can find
refurb'd Palms even on Palmone.com website itself!

So=So at $79, but honestly, with so many people getting those Zire 71
for $120 or less anywhere, better to get a new all-in-one 71 instead, IMO.

www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals and search "Palm" or "zire".

also, if you really want the Vx, get it on www.ebay.com for ~$40 or
less as they're always on sale there in great condition used cheap.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:03:41 AM

jeanluc_picard_66@hotmail.com (picard) wrote:

>I am in the market for a palm PDA and I just saw an advertisement for
>remanufactured plam Vx,8MB for $79 at Fry's electronics.
>
>These come in just a cardboard box with no information or
>documentation. The salesman at Fry's said that they are only for
>someone who knows exactly what they want.
>
>Has anybody bought one of these? Was there some sort of massive recall
>of these units? Is there anything I should watch out for?
>
>thanks!

A new Zire 21 (also 8MB, but 4x faster processor) is $99 at the Palm site and
they're offering free shipping.

I'd say to go for the new device with full documentation, software CD, more
speed and (possibly) a longer warranty.

More about me: http://www.jecarter.com/
VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code: http://www.jecarter.com/programs.html
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code: http://nsb.jecarter.com
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras: http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbt/
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.
April 21, 2004 5:51:48 AM

picard wrote on 20 Apr 2004:

> I am in the market for a palm PDA and I just saw an advertisement for
> remanufactured plam Vx,8MB for $79 at Fry's electronics.
>
> These come in just a cardboard box with no information or
> documentation. The salesman at Fry's said that they are only for
> someone who knows exactly what they want.
>
> Has anybody bought one of these? Was there some sort of massive recall
> of these units? Is there anything I should watch out for?

I think they're fine and the guy at Fry's was probably just trying to
steer you toward a more expensive purchase, and even (heaven forbid!) a
Pocket PC (or has M$ renamed them something else now?).

You can find an IBM WorkPad c3 on eBay at a really reasonable price. (One
guy regularly sells off-lease units for $40 (Buy It Now) -- but if you
watch closely you can often find them for $25 to $30. The WorkPad c3 is a
black Palm Vx, with IBM's name on it. For the $80 you mention, you can
probably find a WorkPad c500 (IBM version of the Palm m500), which is
basically a Vx with an SD slot and a USB port. $80 might come close to
getting you the color version, Palm m505 (Workpad c505). Do a search on
eBay. For whatever reason, IBM WorkPads consistently sell for less than
their Palm counterparts, even though they are the exact same units, except
colored black.

If you don't like eBay, check out www.overstock.com. They have refurbished
Workpad (and Palm) units on sale for reasonable prices.

The original Palm Zire is selling all over the place in retail stores for
under $40 now. But it's not nearly as sleek and expandable as the Vx, c500
series.

(Palm Portable keyboards for the V series Palms (WorkPad c3) are going for
about $10 including s/h on eBay. Good leather cases for about the same.
c500 series Palms and Workpads use the universal adapter and, so, their
keyboards and modems aren't nearly as cheap.)

Good luck.

--
RonB
"There's a scene there...somewhere"

Also, keep in mind that to run the latest Palm software, many now
require the latest 5.x OS, not the older 3.x/4.x in these Vx models.
Thus, you may be pushed to buy a cheap Zire 71 instead.... Just
something to keep in mind as you browse palmgear.com for lots of Palm
software....
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:32:53 AM

David Chien wrote:

> Also, keep in mind that to run the latest Palm software, many now
> require the latest 5.x OS, not the older 3.x/4.x in these Vx models.
> Thus, you may be pushed to buy a cheap Zire 71 instead....

There aren't many programs that run only on 5.x. Palm has basically
made it difficult to make a 5.x-only application. Now, 4.x-only
is a different story. And 6.x-only will definitely be a different
story, whenever those devices actually come out.

On the other hand, grab a Zire 71 (or any new Palm) and Palm Vx and
compare the quality of the screens. Even if the Zire 71 weren't
color and high-density, the screen is so much sharper and has so
much better contrast that that alone is worth it in my opinion.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:32:54 AM

Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, grab a Zire 71 (or any new Palm) and Palm Vx and
> compare the quality of the screens. Even if the Zire 71 weren't
> color and high-density, the screen is so much sharper and has so
> much better contrast that that alone is worth it in my opinion.

Make sure you also compare the screens in sunlight.
And compare the screens after reading books for 9 hours on a
transcontinental flight.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

> And compare the screens after reading books for 9 hours on a
> transcontinental flight.

But what if I can't AFFORD to take a transcontinental flight to
compare Palms?!? And then there was the funny look on that salesman's
face when I said "listen, to compare these screens, can I take these
two Palms with me? See, I'm planning this transcontinental
flight......."

Sorry, couldn't resist! <GRIN>
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:17:50 PM

Anyways, I'd still recommend the Zire 71 on the topic of readability.
The older B&W Palms are just 'horrible' vs. the Zire 71. The viewing
angle of the 71 is really spectacular -- you can go far off center and
still clearly read the display, and the backlighting can be turned on so
bright you can use it as a flashlight at night to light up a room and
I've never had any complaints reading the screen. The old Vx, well,
gotta angle it right to catch the light from above, got the usual glare
bouncing off the screen, backlighting at night is just, well, odd
looking if you read for a long time, and you just feel like squinting at
the darn thing after a few hours of use.

Higher resolution 320x320 71 screen also lets you display more text on
the screen at once, letting you easily see lots of info vs. the 160x160
Vx screen.

---

don't forget to read www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals

eg. recent thread on $99 Tungsten T at Staples & Office Max on clearance
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 9:33:08 PM

David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote:
> Anyways, I'd still recommend the Zire 71 on the topic of readability.
> The older B&W Palms are just 'horrible' vs. the Zire 71. The viewing
> angle of the 71 is really spectacular -- you can go far off center and
> still clearly read the display,

You're saying that as if it was only a good thing. Is it possible to get a
privacy filter for it, so you don't show all your information to people next
to you?

Regards,
--
*Art