Something I don't understand

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
My friend has a fairly modern CD burner, say about a year old, and when it copies an audio CD at X2 all is fine, yet when it copies at X16 or higher the audio quality is terrible and pops and cracks are audible throughout the CD, why is this? I thought if the burner was digitally copying the sound then surely the speed of burning would have no impact on the sound quality? for example burning a DATA CD at X16 is fine...

can anyone explain this ?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
low quality burner?
despite the fact that its supposed to be Digital, and a perfect copy, when burning really fast errors are more prone to creeping in. most arnt noticable, or the 'noise' is filtered out as the signal recieved is binary. if the noise is bad enough though the pits and 'not pits' on the cd get progressivly blurred and u get corrupted data cd's and bad audio tracks.
i.e. the faster it goes the less time the burning laser has to create a sharp destinct pit in the CD surface. also compounded if the drive quality isnt too great and there is a weak laser in use.

infact some audiophiles dont burn cd's at anything greater than 2x or 4x becuaze of this, and when making extra long cd's its also reccomended you use the slowest possible burn speed.

overall it depends on the build quality of the drive and the media your using.
slow it down, try higher quality 'gold' cd's, or get a new drive.

Morally destitute, Emotionally bankrupt but a proud and respected member of Toms Forums! :smile: