Sign in with
Your question

Startup repair could not repair this computer automatically

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 7:32:20 AM

Hello,my laptop refuses to start it says tht i should use startup repair ,i did but it could not repair it automatically,and i used the options in f8,none of them worked so what should i do
March 26, 2012 7:43:25 AM

Sounds like your OS is shot! Maybe you could try the repair options on the Windows CD if you have one. Otherwise you may be looking at an OS reinstallation. :( 
March 26, 2012 7:44:12 AM

Use System Restore Windows 7::

Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group.

Click on the System Restore program icon.

Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window.

Choose the restore point that you want to use.

Note: Check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points.

Note: Any restore points that you created, scheduled restore points that Windows 7 created, and those created

automatically during the installation of certain programs will be listed here. You can not use System Restore to

undo Windows 7 changes to a date that a restore point does not exist.

Click Next >.

Click Finish on the Confirm your restore point window to begin the System Restore.

Note: Windows 7 will shut down to complete the System Restore so be sure to save any work you might have open in

other programs before continuing.

Important: System Restore will not revert any of your non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a

previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was

to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

Click Yes to the Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue? dialog box.

System Restore will now restore Windows 7 to the state that was recorded in the restore point you chose in Step 4.

Note: The System Restore process could take several minutes as you see the "Please wait while your Windows files and

settings are being restored" message. Your computer will then reboot as normal when complete.

Immediately after logging in to Windows 7 after the reboot, you should see a message that System Restore completed

successfully.

Click Close.

Check to see if whatever Windows 7 problem you were troubleshooting has been corrected by this System Restore.

If the problem still persists, you can repeat the steps above and choose another restore point if one is available.

If this restoration caused a problem, you can always undo this particular System Restore.
Related resources
March 26, 2012 2:27:00 PM

I'm assuming he can not successfully boot into Windows, so going about the restore that way probably isn't an option.

What is the make and model of your computer? It probably has a recovery partition. Usually press f8 when Windows is loading and select the Repair my Computer option, though certain manufacturers have different keys for doing this. This should boot into the recovery partition. From there you should have the option of attempting a System Restore, or recovering to the factory image.

Also depending on the issue selecting the Command Prompt from the list of options in the recovery partition and type the following hitting enter after each line:
bootrec.exe /fixboot
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Before doing any of those however, you should back up your data even if that means bringing it to a local shop and paying them to do it.
March 26, 2012 2:44:30 PM

1. If you have recently attached a hardware device to this computer that required a manual driver installation, (unlike USB printers and flash drives, say) remove it and restart your computer.

2. Try safe mode.

3. Try "Last known good config."

4. When you are notified that startup repair cannot repair the computer, go into the system recovery/repair options.

Choose "Command prompt".

Once in, enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

followed by:

bootrec /fixboot

Each entry should tell you "operation completed successfully". Now reboot the system and hopefully windows will boot normally.
January 6, 2013 9:30:57 AM

Quote:
Hello,my laptop refuses to start it says tht i should use startup repair ,i did but it could not repair it automatically,and i used the options in f8,none of them worked so what should i do

http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bou...
:bounce:  my problem is the same will you please help me..?
January 9, 2013 10:57:38 AM

Pratigya Kc said:
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bou...
:bounce:  my problem is the same will you please help me..?

Hello Pratigya Kc, please try each of the options I mentioned. If you still can't get it to work, start a new thread with your problems in detail and post a link here on this thread. I'll take a look :) 
January 22, 2013 2:16:43 PM

thx calguyhunk - what if after bootrec/fixmbr it says:
completed successfully
then for fixboot it says:
the volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

oh, p.s. - dropped the laptop but it worked fine, until it restarted on its own, then same problems as started this thread.
Thanks
Rich

calguyhunk said:
1. If you have recently attached a hardware device to this computer that required a manual driver installation, (unlike USB printers and flash drives, say) remove it and restart your computer.

2. Try safe mode.

3. Try "Last known good config."

4. When you are notified that startup repair cannot repair the computer, go into the system recovery/repair options.

Choose "Command prompt".

Once in, enter the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr

followed by:

bootrec /fixboot

Each entry should tell you "operation completed successfully". Now reboot the system and hopefully windows will boot normally.

January 31, 2013 5:58:15 PM

apuesto said:
thx calguyhunk - what if after bootrec/fixmbr it says:
completed successfully
then for fixboot it says:
the volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

oh, p.s. - dropped the laptop but it worked fine, until it restarted on its own, then same problems as started this thread.
Thanks
Rich

Use the Startup repair tool to replace boot files when not able to boot into Windows. That will often correct a boot problem.

If you can log into Windows, use "cmd.exe" > "bootrec /rebuildbcd" where that will scan for any Windows installation and prompt you to add that into the boot list. The other option at the command prompt would be the DiskPart tool where you type the following -

DiskPart ---> Starts partition manager
List Disk ---> Lists all Physical storage drives
Select Disk # ---> Usually Disk 0
List Volume ---> Lists all partitions (including hidden ones)
Select Volume ---> In case of a hidden recovery partition being at front of drive you would Select volume 2
Active ---> Marks partition as active
Assign (option and used mainly for things like making external HDs/usb flash drives bootable) ---> Assigns drive letter
Exit

Also, try this - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219533-troubleshoo...

If nothing works, you can always format and re-install ;) 

Please start a new thread and post a link here. Meanwhile, see if this helps ;) 
March 16, 2013 12:40:26 AM

Hi my name is Moses. i did an installation of ESET NOD on my system but after that i shut down and my system went into safe mode i have i can to bring it back to normal but all to no avail. i even tried doing restoration to a prior date but it came back with an error. The issue now is when i start up it boots till when i would insert my password then it automatically boots up again it keeps doing that same thing over and over again please what do i do i don't want to loose my data. someone help me. how can i back up and do a re-installation of windows its a windows 7 home premium sp1. thanks in anticipation. my email is nmor.moses@gmail.com
August 18, 2013 12:14:52 PM

Hello. I have found a fix for this start up recovery issue if you are running windows7 from laptop or pc. If you skip the (recommended repair option and go to restart or 'start up normally' and then hit the f2 key. if it takes you to a blue screen just press 'esc' key and hit f2 key again until you get to tools and memory configuration test. Skip these but from this page click f8 and you should get a choice of 8 fixes. Just go to fix 5 or 6 the 'start up time before system failed' and this will let you get back on line. The root cause may be that someone has tried to connect some hardware that the pc has not recognised or have downloaded a dodgy driver?
December 29, 2013 12:23:17 PM

Anonymous said:

!