Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 force shut down

Last response: in Windows 7
March 26, 2012 7:53:57 AM

When I shut down my PC (Compaq Presario CQ5600y/AMD Athlon) running Windows 7, I get a quick message that says something like program running force shut down? (although nothing is running that I know of). It only started doing this this week. Any ideas whats wrong? Once I click on the "force shut down" button, my PC shuts off fine, but I would like to know what the "force shut down" is all about. Thank you.

More about : windows force shut

March 26, 2012 8:33:11 AM

That means that a background process is still running and you need to wait for it to complete for the machine to complete the shutdown.
Can you post the process name, it is on the "force shutdown" window?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 12:23:38 PM

Normally caused by a misbehaving driver or a system service not closing.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2012 6:07:37 PM

How do I determine which process is still running?
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:23:28 PM

The name of the process should be on the title bar of the "force shutdown" window.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:44:16 PM

Thanks, I didn't see it, but I'll watch for it.
m
l
March 26, 2012 6:54:13 PM

It means some background process is running. You can close the process using Task Manager.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 6:54:17 PM

make sure to properly close all programs before you shut down

certain programs can stop it shutting down

(personally i just hold start+r) it saved the comand from previous use

shutdown -f -s -t2 (forces shutdown in 2 secs)
m
l
March 27, 2012 12:57:17 AM

The "force close" button only appears onscreen for 1 maybe 2 seconds then machine closes down properly without me doing anything. It goes by too fast to see which program must be causing the trouble....any ideas?
m
l
April 6, 2012 12:23:10 AM

I was able to fix the problem by running registry cleanup software, thank you guys!!
m
l
November 13, 2012 6:01:42 PM

hey i too am having this same prob can u any one help me to know how to solve it plzzzzz thank u in advance guys :) 
m
l
May 15, 2014 7:41:48 PM

I know this is an old issue, but I also know nobody has solved this problem, and Microsoft doesn't seem to care anymore.
I am happy to announce that I used a program called WinASO Registry Optimizer and it has solved this problem completely!!! I no longer see any task host window nor blank force shutdown screens! It also seems to have sped up both boot and shutdown times!!!

Also, an added plus...and this is another one that MS doesn't seem to have a permanent cure for...all of my notification icons now load every time!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! Finally, I found something that just solved all of these problems at once! It ain't free, but it's worth it if you've been banging your head against the wall for ages now, trying to solve these seemingly incurable and annoying bugs.
m
l
!