GTX 670 or 7970 HD

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Im currently looking at this 2 cards for triple monitor setup. Which one do you recommend? Also the size of the monitors that go great on them. The card cant go over $600 and the monitors Im willing to go 400 top. Thanks! Im confused on the resolution that the cards can support. :S

Please see the titan review on the front page of Tom's to get an idea of what you can actually expect to get performance-wise from a tri-monitor setup (it's towards the end of the article). Looks like you need at least two cards or to turn the eye candy down quite a bit (if you are shooting for 60fps).

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Im looking for the best resolution and size I can get from one single car.

I was looking at that 21 inch monitor too but wasnt sure about it. Maybe 23 inch I could go to that.

You can do what you want on both cards I have a 670 with 4 screens 3x1080 surround for gaming and 1x1920x1200 information teamspeak ect. This one card overclocked to 1267 does fine the mem got to 7,ghz helps too but I can run bf3 full res 5760/1080 at high setting no ultra but still looks amazing. I am guessing 7970 is a little better but I dont have one of those. Don't listen to the people saying you need dual titan I am quite sure they dont have the multi monitor setup to even test this so anyway enjoy :)

Thent

The card I have is the Windforce 670

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

No one was saying he needs dual titans, what was said he may want to see the frame rates that are in that review.

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
The Titan seems to be a beast that I dont need right now.

I just want to have the experience of Multi monitor gaming. So either card can play in 3 23 inch monitors on high settings? Or is that too much?

Thently, this is what I was referencing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-performance-review,3442-9.html

I can't test this but they did. A card that's significantly faster than a 670 gets 38fps at ultra (but at 1200p)

High + 1080 must be the trick that gets a 670 to within reason. I like my single at ultra on one monitor, don't think I'd like the results going tri-monitor but it's all personal taste. Maybe I can borrow two monitors to test it out...

OwensJ480

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Between the GTX 670 and the Radeon 7970 the 7970 gives better performance. With 1 7970 you'd actually be looking at "playable" frame rates. As you can see here,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benchmark-tahiti-gcn,3104-7.html

At a resolutions of 5760*1080 (that's 3 monitors at 1080p, highest resolution of monitors you're going to get for $400) the 7970 is getting an average of 30fps on Battlefield 3 Ultra settings no AA. Now 30 fps is way lower than what I'll play at, but that's pretty impressive for such a demanding game. You could always lower your settings to medium and you'd be good to go, and the game still look great at those setting, let alone across 3 monitors.

Now if you really wantecd 2 of one of those cards, well you're not going to get double the quality, but you will have a far higher frame rate possibly making the game really playable. But what you really need to decide now is if you really are going to get 2 cards. This is why,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-16.html

If you see the benchmarks there, 2 GTX 670's outperforms a 2 Radeon 7970's. So if you wanted the best quality you can possible get with those 2 cards, my conclusion would be that if I were to get 1 I'd go with the Radeon 7970, and if I were to get 2, I'd go with a pair of the GTX 670's.

But if this were really up to me I'd do more research and see what technologies I like better. Personally I like the reviews of Nvidias multiscreen setups with 3D capability than I do AMD's. Although, Nvidias 3D requires expensive hardware, where as AMD's you can literally just take some 3D glasses from the movie theater and you're good to go. So I would do definitely do some research to see what you would prefere more on the technology end, because a pair of either cards comes pretty close.

Aslo as a side note, be sure to check reviews before you buy anything. As you can see on some of the cons on this page,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

The Radeon 7970's from Saphire seem to have really large heatsinks that block the second PCIe lane. Atleast that's what most people are saying on the reviews. It would really suck to buy 2 of those to find you can't install them, or that no airflow is getting to one of them. But of course, you could go with a different manufacturer of the 7970 to avoid the problem. Like I said, just check the reviews for quality and the set up you're going for.

Now as far as monitors go. Is that $400 for all 3? or $400 a peice? Here is a very well reviewed monitor that would fit your price range, 3 would be right at $400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009420

Those are about the cheapest screens, that have really good reviews, you're going to get at 1080p res and they also have the nice backlit technology, which is very nice.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little on your search for a GPU and Monitor. Don't hesitate to ask any questions!

OwensJ480

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

Read my post below. I don't think others are looking at what you're searching for theoretically correct.

Yes i have 3 x 23inch and it is nice best for flying games hawx ect or driving games of any kind. with FPS it is a little odd fun but the side screens are a bit streched. Also if you need to do ultra you can lower the res to the 3***xwhatever hit ultra and it will play great and still fill the screens.. It's not perfect but I am really impressed with what 1 card can do. I expected it to be a jittery low frame mess but it has worked out to be a great exerience and allot of fun. And this is on a AMD 1090T so I would expect a little better frames on an intel setup...

Thent

yoToco94

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Now thats better, thanks Owens! That really got me going now. The thing is that my motherboard only supports Crossfire. And the current card I got is a GTX 560 Ti DS. I didnt know about Sli and Crossfire when I first built my gaming rig. So I would be going more on the single AMD as that what i can currently afford.

Now about the Sapphire, Ive been looking at it for a long time now. Im confused on some points. First is the Vapor X type one. What does it mean? I read is more cooler in temperatures.

Also about the RAM. Im this guy that always likes to have more than what he needs just in case anything happens. I see there are 3gb and 6 GB. Which is the best for the buck? I could try and go for the 6gb but its getting out of the budget a lot.

allows for larger higher res textures an higher res screens. But if you look around here most games don't use 2 gigs some go over a little into the 2.5 if you hav everything cranked up or a high def modded skyrim things like that. I doubt you need 6 unless you have three 2560x1440 or so screens even thendoubt it uses 6 gigs..

Thent

TRENDING THREADS