• Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Monitors
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2013 1:36:18 PM

Im currently looking at this 2 cards for triple monitor setup. Which one do you recommend? Also the size of the monitors that go great on them. The card cant go over $600 and the monitors Im willing to go 400 top. Thanks! Im confused on the resolution that the cards can support. :S

More about : gtx 670 7970

a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 2:09:26 PM

Either will work, but the 7970 is a more powerful card.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:12:30 PM

And the monitors? Which size and resolution will do the best?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 2:13:34 PM

Are yo gaming on them or just working on them?
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:14:31 PM

Well Im into gaming and going to start on developing a few software on the way. Mostly gaming.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 2:20:38 PM

How much room do you have? What size do you want? What resolution do you want to play at?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 2:43:58 PM

Please see the titan review on the front page of Tom's to get an idea of what you can actually expect to get performance-wise from a tri-monitor setup (it's towards the end of the article). Looks like you need at least two cards or to turn the eye candy down quite a bit (if you are shooting for 60fps).
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:54:25 PM

Im looking for the best resolution and size I can get from one single car.

I was looking at that 21 inch monitor too but wasnt sure about it. Maybe 23 inch I could go to that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 2:57:02 PM

Like Jed said, you might want to look at the titan review, you don't want to spend all this money just to be disappointed.
m
l
February 21, 2013 2:58:15 PM

I cant seem to find the titan review. :S
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 3:08:42 PM

You can do what you want on both cards I have a 670 with 4 screens 3x1080 surround for gaming and 1x1920x1200 information teamspeak ect. This one card overclocked to 1267 does fine the mem got to 7,ghz helps too but I can run bf3 full res 5760/1080 at high setting no ultra but still looks amazing. I am guessing 7970 is a little better but I dont have one of those. Don't listen to the people saying you need dual titan I am quite sure they dont have the multi monitor setup to even test this so anyway enjoy :) 

Thent

The card I have is the Windforce 670
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 3:12:06 PM

thently said:
You can do what you want on both cards I have a 670 with 4 screens 3x1080 surround for gaming and 1x1920x1200 information teamspeak ect. This one card overclocked to 1267 does fine the mem got to 7,ghz helps too but I can run bf3 full res 5760/1080 at high setting no ultra but still looks amazing. I am guessing 7970 is a little better but I dont have one of those. Don't listen to the people saying you need dual titan I am quite sure they dont have the multi monitor setup to even test this so anyway enjoy :) 

Thent

The card I have is the Windforce 670

No one was saying he needs dual titans, what was said he may want to see the frame rates that are in that review.
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:14:44 PM

The Titan seems to be a beast that I dont need right now.

I just want to have the experience of Multi monitor gaming. So either card can play in 3 23 inch monitors on high settings? Or is that too much?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 3:16:50 PM

Thently, this is what I was referencing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-p...

I can't test this but they did. A card that's significantly faster than a 670 gets 38fps at ultra (but at 1200p)

High + 1080 must be the trick that gets a 670 to within reason. I like my single at ultra on one monitor, don't think I'd like the results going tri-monitor but it's all personal taste. Maybe I can borrow two monitors to test it out...
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:34:10 PM

Between the GTX 670 and the Radeon 7970 the 7970 gives better performance. With 1 7970 you'd actually be looking at "playable" frame rates. As you can see here,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-benc...

At a resolutions of 5760*1080 (that's 3 monitors at 1080p, highest resolution of monitors you're going to get for $400) the 7970 is getting an average of 30fps on Battlefield 3 Ultra settings no AA. Now 30 fps is way lower than what I'll play at, but that's pretty impressive for such a demanding game. You could always lower your settings to medium and you'd be good to go, and the game still look great at those setting, let alone across 3 monitors.

Now if you really wantecd 2 of one of those cards, well you're not going to get double the quality, but you will have a far higher frame rate possibly making the game really playable. But what you really need to decide now is if you really are going to get 2 cards. This is why,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-rev...

If you see the benchmarks there, 2 GTX 670's outperforms a 2 Radeon 7970's. So if you wanted the best quality you can possible get with those 2 cards, my conclusion would be that if I were to get 1 I'd go with the Radeon 7970, and if I were to get 2, I'd go with a pair of the GTX 670's.

But if this were really up to me I'd do more research and see what technologies I like better. Personally I like the reviews of Nvidias multiscreen setups with 3D capability than I do AMD's. Although, Nvidias 3D requires expensive hardware, where as AMD's you can literally just take some 3D glasses from the movie theater and you're good to go. So I would do definitely do some research to see what you would prefere more on the technology end, because a pair of either cards comes pretty close.

Aslo as a side note, be sure to check reviews before you buy anything. As you can see on some of the cons on this page,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Radeon 7970's from Saphire seem to have really large heatsinks that block the second PCIe lane. Atleast that's what most people are saying on the reviews. It would really suck to buy 2 of those to find you can't install them, or that no airflow is getting to one of them. But of course, you could go with a different manufacturer of the 7970 to avoid the problem. Like I said, just check the reviews for quality and the set up you're going for.

Now as far as monitors go. Is that $400 for all 3? or $400 a peice? Here is a very well reviewed monitor that would fit your price range, 3 would be right at $400.

Those are about the cheapest screens, that have really good reviews, you're going to get at 1080p res and they also have the nice backlit technology, which is very nice.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little on your search for a GPU and Monitor. Don't hesitate to ask any questions!
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:34:54 PM

You guys lost me in this... :S can someone explain me this triple setup?
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:35:51 PM

yoToco94 said:
The Titan seems to be a beast that I dont need right now.

I just want to have the experience of Multi monitor gaming. So either card can play in 3 23 inch monitors on high settings? Or is that too much?

Read my post below. I don't think others are looking at what you're searching for theoretically correct.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 3:44:54 PM

Yes i have 3 x 23inch and it is nice best for flying games hawx ect or driving games of any kind. with FPS it is a little odd fun but the side screens are a bit streched. Also if you need to do ultra you can lower the res to the 3***xwhatever hit ultra and it will play great and still fill the screens.. It's not perfect but I am really impressed with what 1 card can do. I expected it to be a jittery low frame mess but it has worked out to be a great exerience and allot of fun. And this is on a AMD 1090T so I would expect a little better frames on an intel setup...

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:47:05 PM

Now thats better, thanks Owens! That really got me going now. The thing is that my motherboard only supports Crossfire. And the current card I got is a GTX 560 Ti DS. I didnt know about Sli and Crossfire when I first built my gaming rig. So I would be going more on the single AMD as that what i can currently afford.

Now about the Sapphire, Ive been looking at it for a long time now. Im confused on some points. First is the Vapor X type one. What does it mean? I read is more cooler in temperatures.

Also about the RAM. Im this guy that always likes to have more than what he needs just in case anything happens. I see there are 3gb and 6 GB. Which is the best for the buck? I could try and go for the 6gb but its getting out of the budget a lot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 3:49:52 PM

You don't need the 6 get the 3 you will be fine. The vapor x is just the cooling used it is a little better than the non vapor coolers.

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:53:14 PM

But what does the RAM do in terms of graphics?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 4:06:45 PM

allows for larger higher res textures an higher res screens. But if you look around here most games don't use 2 gigs some go over a little into the 2.5 if you hav everything cranked up or a high def modded skyrim things like that. I doubt you need 6 unless you have three 2560x1440 or so screens even thendoubt it uses 6 gigs..

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:09:07 PM

So I may was well go with a 3GB crad such as the Sapphire. Do u recommend the Vapor X?
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:11:28 PM

yoToco94 said:
But what does the RAM do in terms of graphics?

RAM on a graphics card is just like the RAM in your computer. Information is sent and stored there that will need to be accessed much quicker than it can access on a hard drive. Theoretically the more RAM the better, but you need processing power to utilize that RAM. From my experience, to have 6GB of RAM on a GPU beneficial would be to liquid cool your graphics card and overclock it like no other. I have a GTX 680 stock running at 1084MHz and it doesn't even utilize all the 2GB of RAM. Now if I were to overclock it quite a bit, then my 2GB of RAM would start to bottleneck the processor speeds of my graphics card.

So the question becomes, do you plan to overclock the card? If you do, you better have a liquid cooling set up planned. Because there will be no way you'll get it cool enough to utilize that much RAM. If you don't plan to liquid cool, and just plan to keep the cards at stock speeds. The 3GB card is more than enough RAM.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:16:12 PM

Thanks for that info. What about the Vapor X thing? Is it worth it? Im not planning on overclocking it for now. I really dont feel like I need to.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 4:18:12 PM

It is not needed just nice. If the card stays cooler the fans spin slower hence less noise. If it is a large price diffrence then don't worry about it. I would suggest you looking at cards with after market coolers though almost all of them are allot quieter than the original.

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:19:42 PM

Thanks for that info. What about the Vapor X thing? Is it worth it? Im not planning on overclocking it for now. I really dont feel like I need to.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:28:09 PM

THats the card that u have on right now?
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:29:48 PM

Just as Thent said, it just helps keep the card more cool. But in most setups that "Vapor-X" thing is so large that you'd most likely loose the possibility to Crossfire in later years. And the price increase for an extra 3GB of RAM that you wont ever use is not worth it at all. Also, I've noticed alot of reviews for the Vapor-X card say the fans get really loud under full load. Idk about you, but I don't like my computer sounded like a jet engine. If I were to get a Radeon 7970, I'd just go with this,

People also say that card is loud as well, but the issue doesn't seem to show up as much and it has the best rated reviews. Also double check that your computer case can fit the card. The reviews also complain about how long it is. Check the card dimensions and your case...
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:32:49 PM

I have a mid size tower. Is a Raidmax Blackstorm. I think its going to fit in nicely. What about the MSI?
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:33:13 PM

Another side note, those cards come with a free Crysis 3 and Bioshock. That would technically bring your card down to $280 with the rebate. And if you enjoy and will actually play those games. That's a pretty damn good deal!

Lol my GTX 680 only has slightly better performance and specs, and it cost $470 and didn't come with a damn thing at the time.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:36:38 PM

Well I'm a complete review whore! Lol so I wouldn't go with the MSI because it has worse reviews. And also, you are only getting the slightest! and I mean the slightest! performance increase and the card will be $30 more than the others.

Now the reviews aren't bad either. So do you like the asthetic appeal of the MSI? If it looks really cool to you, and you want to pay an exta $30 by all means go for it.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:39:58 PM

Hahaha well Im kind of cheap so I only go for performance xD Do u have 3 monitors running?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 4:51:15 PM

I have the 670 but it hasthe same 3 fan cooler that 7970 has.
m
l
February 21, 2013 4:52:39 PM

yoToco94 said:
Hahaha well Im kind of cheap so I only go for performance xD Do u have 3 monitors running?

lol okay.

Not yet. I've done alot of reasearch into it though. Multi monitor set up in 3D has been my goal since starting my recent computer build. Wont be able to handle games maxed out with what I can afford right now. But I should be able to do pretty well with what I'm going for. I'll have to wait until I get my degree to afford a $15,000 computer monster to get top performance lol.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 5:01:41 PM

ya I would not reccomend 3d on 3 screens the bezzle really ruins it. to have fun with 3d get a 1080p 3d projector. I tried this on a non 3d projector with the red blue glasses and it was sick.. I got motion sick on a 10 foot screen sitting about 10 feet away. fun but I got a little motion sick after about an hour of hawx. looked great though lol.

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:03:31 PM

Well thanks guys! U have all help me a lot. :)  I'll be sure to buy the card and monitors this month or so.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:04:17 PM

thently said:
ya I would not reccomend 3d on 3 screens the bezzle really ruins it. to have fun with 3d get a 1080p 3d projector. I tried this on a non 3d projector with the red blue glasses and it was sick.. I got motion sick on a 10 foot screen sitting about 10 feet away. fun but I got a little motion sick after about an hour of hawx. looked great though lol.

Thent

Lol ya I've never had that motion sickness problem or the headaches people get. But I absolutely hate projection monitors. Just personal preference. And I love the surround feeling of 3 monitors. The screens I have chosen don't have too large of bezzles, so it should work perfect for me.
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:06:23 PM

Oh also, one more question. When I get the new card, can I leave the one Ive on to use a 4 monitor only to monitor my temps and stuff? Ive a 1000 PSU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 5:21:37 PM

if you have Windows 7 yes you can but I would not do this allot of power and heat for 1 monitor. PLus the 7970 can handle 4 monitors on its own. I have 4 on my 670 it is not an issue at all.

Thent
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:25:06 PM

Oh well I wll do that then. Thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
February 21, 2013 5:28:42 PM

No prob it is a fun project I tell you now when I see people playing on 1 monitor it looks tiny :p 

Thent
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 5:35:20 PM

It's not the size of the monitors, it's how you play the game!
m
l
February 21, 2013 5:43:14 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
It's not the size of the monitors, it's how you play the game!

Uummm... How you play the game has nothing to do with how visually appealing it is to you...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 1:29:09 AM

You totally missed the joke there so will just let it go. Maybe it'll make sense to you someday. Good luck!
m
l
February 22, 2013 2:55:21 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
You totally missed the joke there so will just let it go. Maybe it'll make sense to you someday. Good luck!

Haha sorry. As you can tell I get a little to technical and carried away sometimes.
m
l
!