Is my Tivo dying?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
March 2, 2005 7:38:35 PM

I have been experiencing some trouble with my Tivo for a few weeks,
since it was upgraded to Software Version 7.1. Everyday my Tivo
restarts and when I turn it on and hit the Tivo button, I get the intro
movie that plays when I first go the Tivo. Everyday, I have to
re-enter the codes for the 30-second skip and the clock at the bottom.
It even sometimes restarts in the middle of recording a program. Also,
I can be watching a recording and the Tivo will turn off and on about
10-20 times, without me hitting a button. I read some information
online that states constant restarts are a sign of a dying hard drive.
Can anyone help me diagnose what the problem is?

More about : tivo dying

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:17:12 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:38:35 -0800, Big Poppa wrote:

> I have been experiencing some trouble with my Tivo for a few weeks,
> since it was upgraded to Software Version 7.1. [Among other
> problems...] I can be watching a recording and the Tivo will turn off
> and on about 10-20 times, without me hitting a button.

Do you have 7.1, or 7.1a?

Turning on & off 10-20 times in a short period of time is a bad sign.
(Do you mean that it really goes off, as in the "Welcome, Powering Up..."
screen and everything? Or it goes black for a short amount of time?)

My first suspicion would be your TiVo's power supply, either the actual
PSU inside the TiVo, the power cord (loose?), or the condition of the
power that's being fed to the TiVo.

However, 7.1 did seem to add a lot of features (some of which have not
been fully brought to fruition yet), and the processor seems to be
stressed more than with 4.x. It is possible that this increased load would
exacerbate the symptoms of a slowly failing TiVo.... I assume you had no
problems at all with 4.x? (Or 5.x, if that's what you had previously...)

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

In article <1109810315.349721.262450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Big Poppa" <Bennie_Rutherford@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been experiencing some trouble with my Tivo for a few weeks,
> since it was upgraded to Software Version 7.1. Everyday my Tivo
> restarts and when I turn it on and hit the Tivo button, I get the intro
> movie that plays when I first go the Tivo. Everyday, I have to
> re-enter the codes for the 30-second skip and the clock at the bottom.
> It even sometimes restarts in the middle of recording a program. Also,
> I can be watching a recording and the Tivo will turn off and on about
> 10-20 times, without me hitting a button. I read some information
> online that states constant restarts are a sign of a dying hard drive.
> Can anyone help me diagnose what the problem is?

Sounds like you did it already.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 3, 2005 2:43:17 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 16:38:35 -0800, "Big Poppa"
<Bennie_Rutherford@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have been experiencing some trouble with my Tivo for a few weeks,
>since it was upgraded to Software Version 7.1. Everyday my Tivo
>restarts and when I turn it on and hit the Tivo button, I get the intro
>movie that plays when I first go the Tivo. Everyday, I have to
>re-enter the codes for the 30-second skip and the clock at the bottom.
>It even sometimes restarts in the middle of recording a program. Also,
>I can be watching a recording and the Tivo will turn off and on about
>10-20 times, without me hitting a button. I read some information
>online that states constant restarts are a sign of a dying hard drive.
>Can anyone help me diagnose what the problem is?

Lots + lots + lot sof problems with Tivo's lately. Hopefully you
didn't waste money on the lifetime subscription.

Check with your cabe company. They have a more advanced DVR.

Sean
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:13:13 AM

> Check with your cabe company. They have a more advanced DVR.
>
> Sean

My cable company, Charter, has no dvr, no HD, and won't have me much longer
either. Directv with Tivo has both.

Rick
!