Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Newbie Graphics Card and PSU questions.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Build
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 21, 2013 4:14:04 PM

I need help. I haven't researched any computer components since my last build around 2004 and it's way past time to upgrade.

What I know for sure is that I'm going with a i5 3570k cpu and an ASRock Z77 extreme4 mobo if it works for what I want to do.

I'm running on a display with around 1920x1200 resolution. I want to start with 1 graphics card in this build and maybe later on down the road put a 2nd card in. So I want to get a PSU that will be able to support this if I decide to add a second card later on, and I'm not sure where to start with that. I was thinking a decent 750w should be able to handle that?

I would really appreciate some recommendations on the graphics card too. I was hoping it would be around the $300 mark. I play games like Tribes Ascend, Portal2, StarCraft2. I really want to try out FarCry 3 but it'll probably kill what I'm running now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This mobo will be able to support 2 graphics cards right? I'm all over the place here sorry, there's so much to take in with all of this newer tech.

More about : newbie graphics card psu questions

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 4:20:34 PM

yes, that MB will support 2 GPU's. I have the same one, and it works great. For a GPU, the 670 is nice, a bit above 300 but it's close..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or the 7950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For a PSU, Seasonic, XFX, Antec, or corsair at that wattage will work..

Here is a list http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Share
February 21, 2013 5:00:49 PM

Thank you for the quick response!

Alright, this PSU was in the 2nd Tier and seems to be priced about right for me and had good reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Concerning those graphics cards, is one better than the other? I could go with the higher priced one but I don't completely understand the stats on them.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 5:09:09 PM

Well, they are close. The 670 is a Nvidia card, and the 7950 is a AMD card. It kinda depends on what your a fan of and what games you play. I personally like Nvidia better, but AMD cards are good too. Nvidia tends to have more stable drivers but AMD tend to be better at price/performance...so pick your poison.
m
0
l
a c 91 U Graphics card
February 21, 2013 5:10:37 PM

Yep, that's a good PSU - one of the only good PSUs that rosewill sells.

As for the graphics cards, the 670 is bloody amazing. The 7950 is better value, but only if you overclock the HELL out of it - at which point it'll be noisy and will draw a lot of power. (But it does have an insane amount of overclocking headroom.)
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 5:13:51 PM

Outside of farcry 3 my 7870 with the 3570k will max all the other listed games. I doubt you'll even care to crossfire with a $300.00 card.
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 5:43:25 PM

larrym said:
Well, they are close. The 670 is a Nvidia card, and the 7950 is a AMD card. It kinda depends on what your a fan of and what games you play. I personally like Nvidia better, but AMD cards are good too. Nvidia tends to have more stable drivers but AMD tend to be better at price/performance...so pick your poison.


That's something to think about but I have a couple weeks left until I'm ready to start piecing this together, I'll check out some benchmarks. I currently have a HIS iceQ 4670 AGP card so anything is going to be a vast improvement. I'm getting 30fps on tribes ascend with everything turned wayy down.

DarkSable said:
Yep, that's a good PSU - one of the only good PSUs that rosewill sells.

As for the graphics cards, the 670 is bloody amazing. The 7950 is better value, but only if you overclock the HELL out of it - at which point it'll be noisy and will draw a lot of power. (But it does have an insane amount of overclocking headroom.)


I also do some music recording so having a noisey fan might be something I'll have to put into consideration. I'm kinda leaning towards the 670.

bak0n said:
Outside of farcry 3 my 7870 with the 3570k will max all the other listed games. I doubt you'll even care to crossfire with a $300.00 card.


That is something I was hoping to hear, haha thanks. I'll still go with the larger power supply just in case.

This upgrade is long past due so and I need all the help I can get. Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help!
m
0
l
February 21, 2013 5:43:52 PM

Best answer selected by Blizzard242.
m
0
l
!