Newbie Graphics Card and PSU questions.

Blizzard242

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I need help. I haven't researched any computer components since my last build around 2004 and it's way past time to upgrade.

What I know for sure is that I'm going with a i5 3570k cpu and an ASRock Z77 extreme4 mobo if it works for what I want to do.

I'm running on a display with around 1920x1200 resolution. I want to start with 1 graphics card in this build and maybe later on down the road put a 2nd card in. So I want to get a PSU that will be able to support this if I decide to add a second card later on, and I'm not sure where to start with that. I was thinking a decent 750w should be able to handle that?

I would really appreciate some recommendations on the graphics card too. I was hoping it would be around the $300 mark. I play games like Tribes Ascend, Portal2, StarCraft2. I really want to try out FarCry 3 but it'll probably kill what I'm running now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293 This mobo will be able to support 2 graphics cards right? I'm all over the place here sorry, there's so much to take in with all of this newer tech.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Solution

Blizzard242

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Well, they are close. The 670 is a Nvidia card, and the 7950 is a AMD card. It kinda depends on what your a fan of and what games you play. I personally like Nvidia better, but AMD cards are good too. Nvidia tends to have more stable drivers but AMD tend to be better at price/performance...so pick your poison.

Yep, that's a good PSU - one of the only good PSUs that rosewill sells.

As for the graphics cards, the 670 is bloody amazing. The 7950 is better value, but only if you overclock the HELL out of it - at which point it'll be noisy and will draw a lot of power. (But it does have an insane amount of overclocking headroom.)

Blizzard242

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013

That's something to think about but I have a couple weeks left until I'm ready to start piecing this together, I'll check out some benchmarks. I currently have a HIS iceQ 4670 AGP card so anything is going to be a vast improvement. I'm getting 30fps on tribes ascend with everything turned wayy down.

I also do some music recording so having a noisey fan might be something I'll have to put into consideration. I'm kinda leaning towards the 670.

That is something I was hoping to hear, haha thanks. I'll still go with the larger power supply just in case.

This upgrade is long past due so and I need all the help I can get. Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help!