Need a new card to drive 5 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2013 4:16:18 PM

Hey guys,

Before I go to far into my request, the usual:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2013Q2
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Work, then gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 2x 5770s including a Power Color E5 card
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5-760, P7P55D, to be replaced before the end of 2013

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference
PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: If possible, but my experience with my 5770 E5 tells me this might not be the best idea
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 5440x1920

So a while back I got a good deal on a bunch of monitors (Samsung E2320s) and pulled the trigger on what has turned out to be an awesome work environment, and interesting gaming platform.

My original thread: http://bit.ly/ZkeWHu

The ghetto looking setup: http://bit.ly/12Snj27
(Still waiting for a couple of parts to assemble the monitors in a more formal way)

The pair of 5770s have surpassed my expectations, quite honestly. Minecraft pulls great FPS, EVE runs multi client like a champ and even the more intensive games will be playable at reduced resolution.

This being said, I might as well pony up the last dollars to really make this shine. I'll also be giving my current computer to a friend to help out a move in September, so I'm looking at a complete build later on this year. Specs are a bit fuzzy for now, but assume a pair of 16x PCIe channels available.

Right now I'm aiming for a pair of 7870s with one of the cards being an Eyefinity 6 edition.

The actual question:
I'm pretty familiar with AMD cards, not so much with Nvidia. With the oddball number of monitors what would be my options for a surround (with possible SLI) Nvidia setup?

More about : card drive monitors

February 21, 2013 5:24:40 PM

if you want to pull playable framerates with 5 monitors at that humongous resolution, empty your wallet and grab a pair of gtx690's......
they'll do just fine....
m
l
February 21, 2013 6:01:03 PM

Would 690s even run 5 monitors? I might be thinking in terms of AMD, but don't you need to run all monitors through the primary card to use surround?
m
l
!