Sign in with
Your question

Building 2 new PC's in my home

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
March 26, 2012 9:57:17 AM

I am currently in the process of building a PC for my room mate and another for myself.

My question is:

Do we each have to buy windows 7 home for $99.00

or is there a package for say $150.00

That contains multiple activation Key's?

Really would love to save $50.00 if possible

Any $ saved would be good I guess.

Thanks to all who reply

More about : building home

March 26, 2012 10:03:19 AM

Not for $150. I believe there is a package for 3 pc's but it's $289 or something. Just bite the bullet and buy an OS for each computer.
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:08:00 AM

I believe there is a package that contains multiple activation keys. Quite honestly though, I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and I have had no problems installing and activating on two computers. (My desktop for which I bought it and my macbook pro bootcamp partition). I don't know the legalities of what I'm doing. I always just assumed the professional version came with multiple licenses but having just looked it up, I don't think it does. :p 
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2012 10:25:19 AM

Thanks for the reply

So it looks like I have to buy 2- $110.00 copies

Stinking MS

m
l
March 26, 2012 10:43:10 AM

Why pay $110? You can get it online everywhere for $100 and free shipping.
I suppose if you build both computers using the same model MB you might be able to use the same copy on both computers. Not legally, but possible.
Think about it. When you buy a video card for your computer can your friend use it at the same time? No. RAM? No. Why should Microsoft be any different? I don't much like their policy either but I can live with it.
m
l
March 26, 2012 10:57:08 AM

I'll just buy it at my local micro center.

sometimes they have open box deals

They actually have one now for $80

And as far as GPU or RAM ,I guess because they are physically tangible,

It's harder w/ software,Than w/ a PCI-E or any hardware

I can live with it but its hard when theres people downloading pirated software

And I'm buying retail (for peace of mind)

You cant download pirated memory or GPU's

Thats also why its easier for me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 11:17:56 AM

geogolem said:
I believe there is a package that contains multiple activation keys. Quite honestly though, I bought an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional and I have had no problems installing and activating on two computers. (My desktop for which I bought it and my macbook pro bootcamp partition). I don't know the legalities of what I'm doing. I always just assumed the professional version came with multiple licenses but having just looked it up, I don't think it does. :p 

why on earth would you assume that a professional version comes with multiple licenses.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 11:20:55 AM

fjonboy1979 said:
Thanks for the reply

So it looks like I have to buy 2- $110.00 copies

Stinking MS

Stinking MS? do you expect that they give it away, just because you want to build more than one machine? and its not even a family member, its a roommate, what happens when you move etc.

m
l
March 26, 2012 11:22:48 AM

hey! jonboy! People steal cars and that's not legal either!!!
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:32:34 AM

you can always use the windows 8 customer preview until jan 2013 for free.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:57:25 AM

13thmonkey said:
why on earth would you assume that a professional version comes with multiple licenses.

Why not? Realistically MS marketing of Windows since the vista days has been quite ridiculus with so many different version etc. I just assumed it had multiple licenses because the activation worked without issues and I have been using it that way for quite a while without any problems. Home, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate... 32 vs 64 bit. so many versions and only very minute differences between some of them.

EDIT: I should probably add that the desktop computer on which professional is installed and activated came with Windows Home Premium but without the installation media. Not that it makes much of a difference. I guess I have been (and will continue) illegally using "half" a license. Oh well. I'm not buying another Windows key until Windows 8. I'm also running the Consumer Preview on that desktop and if I didnt have so many problems with MS's own bluetooth dongle with keyboard/mouse combo drivers on the Windows 8 CP I wouldnt mind just using that as my default OS until I can buy a retail Windows 8.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:59:31 AM

fjonboy1979 said:
I'll just buy it at my local micro center.

sometimes they have open box deals

They actually have one now for $80

And as far as GPU or RAM ,I guess because they are physically tangible,

It's harder w/ software,Than w/ a PCI-E or any hardware

I can live with it but its hard when theres people downloading pirated software

And I'm buying retail (for peace of mind)

You cant download pirated memory or GPU's

Thats also why its easier for me.

I'd be careful about open boxed deals lol. Maybe someone just copied the disk and wrote down the key and took it back to the store. I'd question any open boxed software etc. I thought retailers are usually strict about returning software/video games/movies etc. unless there is another reason why it is being sold as "open boxed". i.e. damaged packaging etc. (then its probably OK, depending on the damage)
m
l
March 26, 2012 12:10:18 PM

^ +1

and as far as Microsoft goes they are a rip off i have bought one OEM version and used it on several machines, I don’t expect them to give it away but the prices that they are selling them at is disgusting. Remember of the old Xbox 360's where you had to buy there wireless adapter for £60 rather than using a £10 dongle? Even having to pay for Xbox live is shady.
m
l
March 26, 2012 12:15:01 PM

mercer95 said:
^ +1

and as far as Microsoft goes they are a rip off i have bought one OEM version and used it on several machines, I don’t expect them to give it away but the prices that they are selling them at is disgusting. Remember of the old Xbox 360's where you had to buy there wireless adapter for £60 rather than using a £10 dongle? Even having to pay for Xbox live is shady.

I agree... Also nowadays alot of people are ripped off when a copy or license key is not included with a pre-built system. Nowadays sometimes when you buy a pre-built system your Windows installation is only valid as is and if you want to re-install it you have to purchase a license. They charge far too much and personally now is not a good time to buy it since Windows 8 will likely be the same price only 8 months from now.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 12:27:13 PM

geogolem said:
Why not? Realistically MS marketing of Windows since the vista days has been quite ridiculus with so many different version etc. I just assumed it had multiple licenses because the activation worked without issues and I have been using it that way for quite a while without any problems. Home, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate... 32 vs 64 bit. so many versions and only very minute differences between some of them.

lots, you mean 4 x86 and 4 x64.

grow up.
m
l
March 26, 2012 1:18:51 PM

Thanks for the link mercer95 - thats a really good page that clarifies all the different versions and their respective differences. I personally wouldn't go with anything lower than Home Premium though Professional is probably the sweet spot though I don't know if its worth the extra money... The main differentiating feature for me is the "remote desktop host" ability in professional though there are free alternatives like VNC etc. I like using Windows RDP... personally..
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 2:43:24 PM

For $199 you can get a technet subscription. You can get everything Microsoft still has support for in the sub. You will get 2 keys that activate 10 times each for every software. So basically you will get 20 Ultimates, 20 pros, 20 homes ect..., you also get the same for XP, Vista, office ect.....

The keys never expire unless you use them more then 10 times each. So make sure to print them before your year is up.
m
l
March 26, 2012 2:46:28 PM

daship said:
For $199 you can get a technet subscription. You can get everything Microsoft still has support for in the sub. You will get 2 keys that activate 10 times each for every software. So basically you will get 20 Ultimates, 20 pros, 20 homes ect..., you also get the same for XP, Vista, office ect.....

The keys never expire unless you use them more then 10 times each. So make sure to print them before your year is up.

I heard about something like this in the past but never looked much more into it. I will look into it before I buy another MS product. Thanks
m
l
March 26, 2012 4:45:46 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
hey! jonboy! People steal cars and that's not legal either!!!

I was just Stating how I feel in regards to the price of O.S.

Last I checked I can feel however I want about whatever I want.

I Simply FEEL Thats too much for an OS.

End of story

I didnt ask your opinion.I simply was looking for advice on an issue that I am uninformed on.

Alot of people have different opinions,,,,,,now I know how you feel,,Not that I wanted to

next time I will keep my opinion to myself,,as to not offend more"sensitive" people.

I know alot of people work hard to create an OS,,I was simply saying (mabye not clearly enough)

That it bothers me that it costs so much to purchase ,,and people are getting it for free through pirating.

I'm replying to your comment because I feel I may have incorrectly stated my point(my fault)I should have kept it to myself

Or maybe you understood and disagreed and just need to have the last word.

Well you can have it ,,I got the answer I was looking for,,From elsewhere

I wish you the best ,,Remember this is a place for people to get answer's to question's ,,not argue

"Monjo"+"monkey" if you get so up in arms over two words "Stinking MS" you are Too sensitive

To the people who offered actual help: thank you for your time,,I apologize if my comment on the OS price issue offended anyone.

m
l
March 26, 2012 5:14:46 PM

Who is being sensitive? My first 2 posts specifically addressed you original Q. in a friendly, helpful manner. Even my third reply suggested you might be able to use one copy of the OS and that I didn't care much for MSFT's policies either.
I'm sure there a plenty of people who hate MSFT charging you for every copy of software but there are alternatives available for free. I'm also sure that there are plenty of people using a single-user copy on multiple machines. Fine, not my problem and more power to them. Your remark about other people pirating software doesn't make anything better and you even said you would buy it before pirating.
SO? What's the problem???
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 7:36:24 PM

daship said:

Hi :) 

Thats ILLEGAL for a home user....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 8:20:34 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Thats ILLEGAL for a home user....

No it is not. You can Evaluate it all you want for your personal needs including home.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 8:45:28 PM

daship said:
No it is not. You can Evaluate it all you want for your personal needs including home.

Try arguing that with MS lol..its intended for Computer businesses and developers......

If you rang MS they would NOT allow it...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2012 10:35:17 PM

Says in the license you can use it on your home computer.
m
l
March 26, 2012 11:06:41 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Try arguing that with MS lol..its intended for Computer businesses and developers......

If you rang MS they would NOT allow it...

Brett, If you actually took the time to read your agreement, you would have read the following and known that developpers CANT use Technet.

Usage test scenarios allowed with TechNet Subscriptions

The following testing scenarios can be used during the software evaluation process. Please be aware that subscribing to TechNet Subscriptions does not grant user rights to test as part of a software application development effort.
m
l
!