DELL e521 PROCESSOR/GPU UPGRADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

smh_iown

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Dell Dimension e521 project computer im somewhat upgrading. Im looking for a faster processor close to 3.0 ghz and a somewhat good graphics card. I want to be able to play DayZ. The recommended graphics card for DayZ is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster. I want a processor that can handle something close to these graphics cards. I would much appreciate if someone could help me.

Solution
I believe this system only ever came with "Windsor" core CPUs. However, a Brisbane should work with the latest BIOS update, as I have read about other people using them. The fastest CPU that dell put in these from the factory was the ADA5600IAA6CZ AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor.

I was mistaken about the CPU heatsink. Dell usually makes a plain aluminum fin version for lower wattage CPUs, and a heatpipe version for higher wattage CPUs. On AMD CPUs, there is only the aluminum fin heatsink, and no upgrade would be necessary.

red_stapler

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
The fastest CPUs supported by that motherboard would be either the Athlon 64 x2 56800+ or 6000+.

You'll want to make sure you are on BIOS 1.1.11:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dimension-e521?driverId=R164018&osCode=ww1&fileId=2731117833

You'll also need to make sure you have the heatpipe cooler and not the aluminum block version.

For the GPU, the power supply does not have a 6 pin for additional power. Something like a GTX 650 or a Radeon 7750 would be best among brand-new cards. The BTX design means you need to have a single slot video card.

red_stapler

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I believe this system only ever came with "Windsor" core CPUs. However, a Brisbane should work with the latest BIOS update, as I have read about other people using them. The fastest CPU that dell put in these from the factory was the ADA5600IAA6CZ AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor.

I was mistaken about the CPU heatsink. Dell usually makes a plain aluminum fin version for lower wattage CPUs, and a heatpipe version for higher wattage CPUs. On AMD CPUs, there is only the aluminum fin heatsink, and no upgrade would be necessary.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.