Majo system overhaul with SLI

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Hi everyone!

I am planning on a major system overhaul this month, well, I've been steadily upgrading bits for a while now, but this month should be the last step until I have what I want. I plan on buying he new AMDFX-8350, the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard, and a second Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 to go with my current one. But here's the thing, I have heard that adding just one extra GPU may not necessarily improve graphics performance, and that you need at least three in order for it to be beneficial? Something to do with micro-stuttering I believe I have heard people talking about?

My question is this, if I buy a second 670 and put in SLI along with my current 670, will there be a guaranteed performance increase? Will it be worth the purchase? do not want to have to buy a third and go with triple SLI, But I want to have more performance than I have currently got. At the minute, I am running an OC'd 670 on a 1920 x 1080 display, along with an AMD FX-8120 and 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM. But I am getting intermittent lagging every minute or so where y FPS will drop to around 17-18, whereas normally it is at 55-60. AM I wrong in assuming that a second card will fix this problem? To sum up all this information, Below is a blow by blow list of my questions:

1. Will 2 x 670's run fine with no problems?
2. Will I be able to run 2 x 670's along with my other hardware(Listed at bottom) on a 600W PSU?
3. Is the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and the AMD FX-8350 going to work well with the 670's?
4. Could another problem be the cause of my lagging problems?

If anyone can give me a good reason why not to go ahead and buy the 8350;sabertooth and 670, please do so. And if anyone has any advice over the SLI matter, please let me know. This will be my first SLI set-up and I need to learn the basics. A crash course would be nice. =)

Thanks in advance to anyone who posts a genuine reply, and not someone who spams about the fact that I
A. Don't have an i7 and
B. Am using 670's instead of 680's. Lol

Johnshardware73

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

I am not an expert but I ran a gtx 580 on a 750 Watt Corsair and within 3 months I had a complete system shutdown. Upgrading the PSU to a HX1050 Corsair fixed the issue and I believe resulted in better performance as the GPU would automatically down clock if the hardware determined too much power was being used. I am now a firm believer in having more than enough power. I have been told by others on the forum that a 1050 will run two 580s in SLI. However I will wait until the 780 comes out to upgrade. I fear Vram is now becoming an issue with new games.

TRENDING THREADS