Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Radeon 7850 not working?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2013 1:02:25 AM

Hello all!
so today the rest of my stuff came in the mail... I quicly began to install all the parts. i took a break for about an hour and i came back and started again... So i finally get win 7 installed and i start it up andI cant seem to get my monitor to turn on when the Gpu is plugged in and hooked up? I have a VGA monitor and i have a DVI-D to VGA adapter but i use this and it doesnt work??? thankfully there is a VGA port on the motherboard itself and i use that with th gpu unplugged to use this computer. The strange thing is there is a DVI-D port on the motherboard but with the adapter connected the screen still doesnt turn on. Only the vga port works so i dont know if it is my adapter or what?

More about : radeon 7850 working

February 22, 2013 1:16:20 AM

Let's see if I have this straight. You have on-board video that works using the VGA connection only. Using the DVI-VGA adapter does not work? Correct?

Also, you have a separate card that when installed video is not working? You connect your monitor to that card using the DVI-to-VGA. And if you have the card installed attaching the monitor to the motherboard also fails at this point with the video card installed.

Some things to think about.
Disabling the video on the motherboard with the new video card installed.
Have you the proper drivers? If you have an off-brand mfg they may ship a who boat load of drivers on a DVD and let the user guess at what to do.

What type of video card is this? Nvideo? Geforce?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:18:28 AM

Neither. it is Amd radeon ATI 7850. And yes I cant have the crad installed and do anything./ there is no screen when i have the 7850 powered? and yes i installed the catalyst software but still no.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 22, 2013 1:29:15 AM

You can't use VGA adapter on DVI-D plug, you need DVI-I to do that. DVI-D transport only Digital signal while DVI-I transport Digital and Analog Signal. Most graphic card have DVI-I, which can be use with a VGA monitor, but some are only DVI-I. What is the brand and model of your card?
February 22, 2013 1:30:40 AM

Best bet is to try a new adapter or borrow one.
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:30:45 AM

It is XFX 7850 core edition. so your telling me i need a Female VGA to Male DVI-I?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:35:44 AM

No I'm telling you there is no way to transform DVI-D to VGA without a converter. DVI-D is digital, VGA is analog. Good news, your video card is DVI-I. So you need a DVI-I to VGA adapter and everything will work. Have you any DVI display device (like a TV) to verifiy if it'S your adapter that is broken?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:38:33 AM

I have a tv but it deffineltly wont hook to it. So analog to DVI-D wont work at all?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:39:50 AM

also does it have to be the 29 pin one?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:43:14 AM

Thanks darksnake! I did not know that. I had forgotten that I had a similar problems but I had just given up on the DVI converter and used my TV rather than my old VGA monitor. :) 
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:46:53 AM

You have the power connected to the card I'm assuming. You've also disabled onboard video in bios to test it?
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:49:45 AM

darksnake23 said:
also does it have to be the 29 pin one?

The important part for the VGA is the 4 pin around the cross on the DVI plug (those are the ones who transport the analog signal)
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:50:18 AM

if i disable onboard video then nothing would come up??? i disabled it in device manager. and when the power is connected to the card There is no screen at all.
m
l
February 22, 2013 1:53:16 AM

ok so i would need either the 17 pin or the 29 pin so long as they both have the 4 pins extra?
m
l
February 22, 2013 2:04:39 AM

I bought a 29 pin one from amazon... it will be here from monday to wednesday :( 
m
l
February 22, 2013 3:07:12 AM

Best answer selected by darksnake23.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 5:05:01 AM

Some of that is false. I used to use 2 DVI to VGA adapters on my old GTX 460 system when I had VGA monitors.
m
l
February 22, 2013 11:25:15 AM

abCasPeRR said:
Some of that is false. I used to use 2 DVI to VGA adapters on my old GTX 460 system when I had VGA monitors.

Explain please? It was working because you were using DVI-I to VGA adapter as previously stated in the thread.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 8:14:48 PM

w1zz4 said:
Explain please? It was working because you were using DVI-I to VGA adapter as previously stated in the thread.

I had 2 DVI to VGA adapters plugged into both DVI-I and DVI-D. As the one connected to DVI-D seemed with a "Active" adapter.
m
l
!