high preout voltage usb sound card?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 15, 2004 1:28:19 AM

Anyone know of any soundcards with a high preout voltage? 4v and up. It
must have a USB interface. At least one analog input. The more analog
outputs the better.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:15:01 PM

"Mark Zarella" wrote ...
> Anyone know of any soundcards with a high preout voltage?
> 4v and up. It must have a USB interface. At least one analog
> input. The more analog outputs the better.

Seems pretty unlikely. 4v is higher even than professional
line levels. Why do you think you need such a thing?
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 3:48:18 AM

> > Anyone know of any soundcards with a high preout voltage?
> > 4v and up. It must have a USB interface. At least one analog
> > input. The more analog outputs the better.
>
> Seems pretty unlikely. 4v is higher even than professional
> line levels. Why do you think you need such a thing?

Car application. I use a somewhat older subwoofer amplifier and it's tough
to get it to full output even with the gain setting all the way up.
October 16, 2004 3:48:19 AM

"MZ" wrote ...
>> > Anyone know of any soundcards with a high preout voltage?
>> > 4v and up. It must have a USB interface. At least one analog
>> > input. The more analog outputs the better.
>>
>> Seems pretty unlikely. 4v is higher even than professional
>> line levels. Why do you think you need such a thing?
>
> Car application. I use a somewhat older subwoofer amplifier and it's
> tough
> to get it to full output even with the gain setting all the way up.

Shouldn't be that difficult to find a little line amp that runs on 12v.
Sounds like your subwoofer amp wants speaker level inputs.
You could find a pair of USB computer speakers and use the
amplifiers to drive your subwoofer amp.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:48:21 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:48:18 -0400, "MZ"
<zarellam@twcnyremove.rr.comspam> wrote:

>> Seems pretty unlikely. 4v is higher even than professional
>> line levels. Why do you think you need such a thing?
>
>Car application. I use a somewhat older subwoofer amplifier and it's tough
>to get it to full output even with the gain setting all the way up.

Is the amp expecting a feed tapped off a speaker output? Can't you
give it one? What's playing the mids and top of your car system?
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 4:48:22 PM

> >Car application. I use a somewhat older subwoofer amplifier and it's
tough
> >to get it to full output even with the gain setting all the way up.
>
> Is the amp expecting a feed tapped off a speaker output?

No. But 1v is too little to drive it adequately, especially on "quiet"
recordings.

> Can't you
> give it one? What's playing the mids and top of your car system?

Different amps. 1v may be too low for them as well. I don't know. Keep in
mind that the gain adjustments on car amplifiers tend to go down to 0.5v as
a minimum, with ~1v being more common. So to reach maximum output the
recording basically has to be close to 0dB. And with a lot of filtering
going on at the input (the amps are driving subs, woofers, mids, and
tweeters, all from independent channels), it drops the signal even more.
!