Sign in with
Your question

Can Skyrim run 6gb Vram?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2013 4:01:26 AM

Just ordered the Titan card. I'm on 2560x1440 display with a TON of mods. I currently have a 690gtx and it is completely maxed out without very much in terms of mods (texture pack + resolution max's it)

I'm wondering if Skyrim can do 6gb ram or if it's limited to 4gb.

Answer appreciated

More about : skyrim run 6gb vram

February 22, 2013 4:25:38 AM

I would also like to know too since im planning on playing skyrim with the best graphic mods out there. I'm planning on getting a titan once its around 700--800 bucks but by than i'll probably already have a 770 or 780.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 5:07:04 AM

I'm sure you could if you dropped the kitchen sink worth of mods sure. The game isn't ram limited and comes with the full advertised ram amount unlike the 690 which advertises at 4 gigabytes but is really at 2.
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 5:12:31 AM

Keep in mind, the reason you're having problems is that the 690 doesn't actually HAVE 4GB of VRAM... it's two 2GB cards in SLI, meaning you only have 2GB usable.
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:14:50 AM

Wow guys this thread was made for me xD

And my answear is hell YES it can :p 
And you wont need hundreds of mods to get it to 12gb.
Only mods that adds within the ugrid radius(the radius skyrim loads stuff)

With my hig res customed textur pack Iv created by handpicking the best textures and meshes from well over 60 mods including the SRO SHD AND 2kHD.
Low medium tweaked ini settings(ugrid5), no AA, 8AF res 5760x1080 My skyrim uses 3,5gb without ENB!
Now with 4AA it gose way above 4gb ending in a crash after 1-2 min.

I just orderd 2 Titans and cant wait to start testing Skyrim with those.
Hopefully i can now crank up the ini settings to hige perhaps with enabled AA 4 or 8, and add ENB Series filters.

Thought i have to say skyrim's engine sucks big time. Its far from optimized and needs a lot more resources than other game engines to produce the same results
And shadows and renderd by the CPU -.-
m
l
February 22, 2013 10:14:50 AM

Skyrim vanilla is far from a demanding game and can be played with GT 240 xD But I am far from Vanilla Skyrim!

You might be right about that skyrim cant use more than 2-3GB even if it fills 6gb.
That i dont know anything about. As its a 32 bit application that might limit?
Can you explain why skyrim wouldn't be able to use more?

But the game becomes unstable and crash when the game reaches the max Vram.

I and my Skyrim modder group have been testing this a lot!
So unless you provide proof other wise.
I'v spendt 4 weeks making the ultimate texture pack (handpicked from mods aswell as own created textures) and Its damn beautifull with the higest quality meshes and textures available.

This graph shows skyrim crash after reaching the 4gb limit, and its not duo to any mod that's 100% certain.
Now this is with AA 4 low-medium settings.
In order to play i must turn off the AA, than skyrim uses 3,5GB max and I got my self a stable skyrim.

So in order for us skyrim extreme enthusiasts to do what we want 6gb is needed and perhaps even more with higer settings, i dont know yet.
Skyrim has a huge potential that we have barley tapped into. I have yet to enable AA OR SMAA, Edge AA, Ugrid vanilla 5 higest 13,(increas area around character loaded) and the ENB serie wich gives you bloom, better ambient occulation + a lot more.
I have 3 3D monitors ASUS VG278H 27" in surround, but with my gtx 680 im not even getting 5fps. Hoping titan SLI might have a chanse to do so with my Modded skyrim.

No

m
l
February 22, 2013 10:55:11 AM

You come her saying that's an epic double facepalm fail and you base your assumption on the results you got from a 1440p monitor?
For future posts dont say stuff like that when you dont know.

3 monitors = 5760x1080 are worlds apart from the needs of a singel 2560x1440 monitor.
A few hundred mods exluding texture mods if you have , have 0 impact on vram unless they are within the ugrid load radius.

When it comes to ugrids to load very little is known to what cuses the unstability.
A few players have been able to play with 13 Ugrids stable why i dont know, but once i get my Titans i will test this.

The settings, mods and the possibilites that are available to skyrim are huge.
MSAA, Edge AA, Blom, ambient occulation, ENB series that adds many new tweaks of improvment and with the right Lighting Enhancing mods. And you got yourself a very demanding game.
m
l
February 22, 2013 11:18:56 AM

BigMack70 said:

And even IF vram capacity were the issue, two titans is still silly for Skyrim, as two 6GB 7970s would offer the same vram capacity, more performance than you need, and be half the price.

I would have bought this cards over the Titan if i could. But i can not.
The 7970's 6gb Vaporiser would be the best choice with out a doubt.

But i got the 3 nvidia 3d monitors and they dont work with AMD, atleast not good enough.

kvote"The settings I use would fill up a ton more than the 3GB vram"

Why dont you download afterburner and test this while playing on your 1440p monitor? and post your results.
If you havent tested this it might very well be that your skyrim dosnt use as much vram as you think.

Though if your results show that the games run stable at max vram usage over a longer periode than it most certainly is a multimonitor/hige resolution issue.

It might very well be that the vram crash is only a problem with HigeRes Multimonitor.
But if so the only option is to get more Vram and for me that means Titan.

The results are clear skyrim crash duo to exeeded Vram.
My Skyrim 0 AA runs 3.7 GB Vram and stable for 5 houres without crash. Skyrim 4AA exeeds 4gb and Crash half a minut.
m
l
February 22, 2013 3:58:30 PM

I'm getting a weird problem. I'm lagging pretty bad in skyrim on my 690 gtx. Average vram usage is around 1500mb and it shows my GPU maxed out at 99% usage. Any idea what this could be? Performs fine in benchmarks/any other game
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 5:25:09 PM

Ah see that changes things quite a bit if you were to turn around and do 3d vision then yea you are best off with a nvidia solution. Now I don't necessarily thing that a Titan would be absolutely necessary however if you wanted it because its a great single card performer without using SLi then go for it.
m
l
February 22, 2013 5:36:31 PM

aleksanderdev said:
Wow guys this thread was made for me xD

And my answear is hell YES it can :p 
And you wont need hundreds of mods to get it to 12gb.
Only mods that adds within the ugrid radius(the radius skyrim loads stuff)

With my hig res customed textur pack Iv created by handpicking the best textures and meshes from well over 60 mods including the SRO SHD AND 2kHD.
Low medium tweaked ini settings(ugrid5), no AA, 8AF res 5760x1080 My skyrim uses 3,5gb without ENB!
Now with 4AA it gose way above 4gb ending in a crash after 1-2 min.

I just orderd 2 Titans and cant wait to start testing Skyrim with those.
Hopefully i can now crank up the ini settings to hige perhaps with enabled AA 4 or 8, and add ENB Series filters.

Thought i have to say skyrim's engine sucks big time. Its far from optimized and needs a lot more resources than other game engines to produce the same results
And shadows and renderd by the CPU -.-

That really sucks so even if i have a Titan i still can't max out a 2011 game? wth? and i thought the 670 would be overkill for it. They got to make better cards for the price.
m
l
February 22, 2013 5:47:09 PM

lord hircine said:
That really sucks so even if i have a Titan i still can't max out a 2011 game? wth? and i thought the 670 would be overkill for it. They got to make better cards for the price.

I had a 560ti I played Skyrim with ultra settings, a few 2k texture mods, and a light enhancing mod on 1920x1080
So dont worry :p 

Now the skyrim setup above and mine are worlds apart :p 

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 6:00:51 PM

aleksanderdev said:
Skyrim vanilla is far from a demanding game and can be played with GT 240 xD But I am far from Vanilla Skyrim!

You might be right about that skyrim cant use more than 2-3GB even if it fills 6gb.
That i dont know anything about. As its a 32 bit application that might limit?
Can you explain why skyrim wouldn't be able to use more?

But the game becomes unstable and crash when the game reaches the max Vram.

I and my Skyrim modder group have been testing this a lot!
So unless you provide proof other wise.
I'v spendt 4 weeks making the ultimate texture pack (handpicked from mods aswell as own created textures) and Its damn beautifull with the higest quality meshes and textures available.

This graph shows skyrim crash after reaching the 4gb limit, and its not duo to any mod that's 100% certain.
Now this is with AA 4 low-medium settings.
In order to play i must turn off the AA, than skyrim uses 3,5GB max and I got my self a stable skyrim.
]http://s12.postimage.org/5f9f03t55/GPU_Vram.jpg

So in order for us skyrim extreme enthusiasts to do what we want 6gb is needed and perhaps even more with higer settings, i dont know yet.
Skyrim has a huge potential that we have barley tapped into. I have yet to enable AA OR SMAA, Edge AA, Ugrid vanilla 5 higest 13,(increas area around character loaded) and the ENB serie wich gives you bloom, better ambient occulation + a lot more.
I have 3 3D monitors ASUS VG278H 27" in surround, but with my gtx 680 im not even getting 5fps. Hoping titan SLI might have a chanse to do so with my Modded skyrim.

No

even after 4gb it still uses some system ram as vram, so you are probably way over 4gb and have filled up the system ram allocated for vram. If you run dxdiag (64bit version for 64bit OS) and go into the display tab, you should see how much total video memory you have, in my case its 4042, so about 2gb on my vid card and 2gb of system ram. It would be interesting to know how much vram you have actually filled up. that is insane. Do you have problems with level loading? i hope you have some fast ssd's in raid.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 22, 2013 7:24:22 PM

I would say that a 670 can max out the game and be completely playable as well as the TITAN which in my eye has the power of two 670's in SLI or so it looks to be. Reasoning:Titan is then then 10% slower then the 690 and the 670 in SLi is probably around that margin as well.

It's silly to think that a TITAN card is unable to max out Skyrim with mods it can and would do so with ease. The TITAN card however is aimed towards the enthusiast market not necessarily the price to performance buyers so I think they will be a disconnect with many when it comes down to what cards to get here.
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:03:36 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
even after 4gb it still uses some system ram as vram, so you are probably way over 4gb and have filled up the system ram allocated for vram. If you run dxdiag (64bit version for 64bit OS) and go into the display tab, you should see how much total video memory you have, in my case its 4042, so about 2gb on my vid card and 2gb of system ram. It would be interesting to know how much vram you have actually filled up. that is insane. Do you have problems with level loading? i hope you have some fast ssd's in raid.

Hi. I got 16GB 1866 Mhz, and 2 corsair ForceGT's in stripe that im running skyrim off :) 

I havent monitored my memory while playing. I will do this once i get home at sunday.
As skyrim is a 32 bit 3gb would be max of what it can use, though it might fill up a lot more.
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:07:46 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I would say that a 670 can max out the game and be completely playable as well as the TITAN which in my eye has the power of two 670's in SLI or so it looks to be. Reasoning:Titan is then then 10% slower then the 690 and the 670 in SLi is probably around that margin as well.

It's silly to think that a TITAN card is unable to max out Skyrim with mods it can and would do so with ease. The TITAN card however is aimed towards the enthusiast market not necessarily the price to performance buyers so I think they will be a disconnect with many when it comes down to what cards to get here.

Must i repeat my self?
I know that a pair of 670s got the same juice as a titan if not better.
But gpu juice isnt what titan is about.
It has 6gb and 384 Bit to deal with it, this makes the difference!
And its reason to exists is multi monitor gaming, not singel!

And this is the reason for why i want Titan.

Vanilla skyrim ultra settings is easly ran by a gtx 560 TI on a 1920x1080 monitor.

But my skyrim is worlds apparts from Skyrim Vanilla.
I would say 10 times as demanding to give you a clue.

Now stop saying the titan is waist for skyrim as you clearly dont have experience with an extreme skyrim mod version.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 1:21:45 AM

I wasn't really pushing away from Titan I was just trying to explain how the Sli solution of a 670 in the power of one single GPU with more ram and a higher memory bit. I was just really stating that there is a disconnect with people because what is cheaper isn't what you are after you are after the best single gpu solution. I hope I didn't confuse you or anyone with that.
m
l
February 23, 2013 1:59:21 AM

I dont need titan becuse its the best singel gpu, but becuse its nvidia an it has 6gb ram.

Now I need this for skyrim, not saying others do.
When i get the card ill do some benchmarks :) 
m
l
February 23, 2013 2:27:47 AM

aleksanderdev said:
I dont need titan becuse its the best singel gpu, but becuse its nvidia an it has 6gb ram.

Now I need this for skyrim, not saying others do.
When i get the card ill do some benchmarks :) 

If you don't mind, may you name a few mods you use to get Skyrim to that demanding level. I would also like to try those mods out once i get a future titan or 770/780.
m
l
February 23, 2013 7:27:06 AM

Listing the mods iv used and how to do it takes to long.
But a good option is texture pack combiner.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20801/
Download the file her from nexus, nwo unzip and you will get a folder system setup.
1 optional folder that has about 60 texture mods and 1 required that got 3 big texture mods

Now get as many of the optional mods u can find. In each of the mod folders theres a readme telling what files in each of the 60 mods your gonna use.

For the required folder you will only be able to find 2 of the 3 mods as the SRO texture pack is no longer available on nexus.

After you got each mod into its right folder you'll start a little program that takes the best of each mod and makes a new merged texture pack.
Now simply copy this with its esm'esp's into your skyrim data folder.

The SRO mod that says is required is available somewhere on the net but i spendt weeks tracking down the mod at 8GB unzipped.
But if you dont find it will still work properly and give you a good texture pack without much work.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 23, 2013 10:39:32 AM

So from what I gather from that combiner of mods is that it utilizes mods a bit more efficiently then throwing everything you can at it just to throw everything you can at it.
m
l
February 24, 2013 5:58:49 AM

But there are many flawes with the texture pack combiner and the best result is by doing it yourself :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 24, 2013 8:36:13 AM

perhaps but its a good idea and I think it goes a long way to show that you don't necessarily need to throw demanding vram mods at the game.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 1:31:28 AM

bigshootr8 said:
perhaps but its a good idea and I think it goes a long way to show that you don't necessarily need to throw demanding vram mods at the game.

you dont NEED a computer to play a game either, you can play yahtze or scrabble. But sme people LIKE to play games with all the texture mods, if its worth it for them, so be it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 6:33:43 AM

I'm not saying that using mods is bad I'm just saying using mods for the sake of using mods and not really optimizing what you are doing can of course drain your resources so having something like a mod combiner is logical.
m
l
February 25, 2013 8:08:30 AM

OP don't mind bigmack.He is just jelly cos his 7970 is now outdated.And you have the money to buy 2 tiitans.Which will smoke his system all day.lol
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 25, 2013 10:28:32 AM

I don't think he is. I mean he can be zealous towards AMD but no I wouldn't say he's jealous. And 1 Titan card would just demolish skyrim no real need for 2 Titan cards not unless you plan on powering a ton of screens+3D or some hardcore rendering.
m
l
February 26, 2013 9:49:14 AM

bigshootr8 said:
So from what I gather from that combiner of mods is that it utilizes mods a bit more efficiently then throwing everything you can at it just to throw everything you can at it.

Not really.

If you have 2 texture packs both for the same thing objects items etc, and both got some good and bad textures.
The combiner mod will take the best textures of both of theme and combine theme.

Now the Combiner dos this with 60 mods.
Without this mod you would only be able to use 1 of the packs as the first installed pack will be overwritten by the last. So no merging thus only textures from 1 pack.

Note that what textures are rated as good an bad are based on 3 peoples personal taste and opinion with this combiner.
Thats why i did it all manually, comparing each tex mesh file to all the other mods.
m
l
February 26, 2013 9:50:52 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I'm not saying that using mods is bad I'm just saying using mods for the sake of using mods and not really optimizing what you are doing can of course drain your resources so having something like a mod combiner is logical.

read the above post. The mod combiner dos not in any way lower/optimize the vram usage.
m
l
February 26, 2013 9:52:43 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I don't think he is. I mean he can be zealous towards AMD but no I wouldn't say he's jealous. And 1 Titan card would just demolish skyrim no real need for 2 Titan cards not unless you plan on powering a ton of screens+3D.

I will test skyrim with 1 Titan first and see if it rly dos demolish my skyrim.
I think medium to hige settings will give playable fps with titan
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
February 26, 2013 6:59:36 PM

I think you can manage to get beyond medium and high settings with a Titan card.

Also, I would go and say that by the combiner choosing the best texture you are limiting the bloat you would get by just installing a ton of mods/addons which I'm sure reduces the amount of resources your system uses just because its not trying to run a million texture mods that are doing the same thing. I should re define what I'm saying. I'm saying it has the potential to based on what you are doing.
m
l
February 26, 2013 7:45:17 PM

The game dos not load the other textures at all.
Its only the "winning texture mod" that gets loaded into the game.
If you got 100 different grass mod textures installed only the last will be loaded.
So no it has no impact.
Well it remains to be seen, If it gose acording to the plan ill get my Titan this friday :D 
m
l
May 16, 2013 10:49:21 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I'm sure you could if you dropped the kitchen sink worth of mods sure. The game isn't ram limited and comes with the full advertised ram amount unlike the 690 which advertises at 4 gigabytes but is really at 2.

it is 4GB total, DUH, its two gpu's on one card so its like to 660 or 670 GPUS running in SLI mode. a SINGLE physical gtx 690 is actually an SLI dual gpu card. which is why the titan has better everything, including PER GPU performance and lots of ram. qual sli titan is 24GB of vram, 4 gpus and WAY more cuda cores / FLOPS

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
May 16, 2013 11:23:22 AM

Fieldsweeper said:
bigshootr8 said:

it is 4GB total, DUH, its two gpu's on one card so its like to 660 or 670 GPUS running in SLI mode. a SINGLE physical gtx 690 is actually an SLI dual gpu card. which is why the titan has better everything, including PER GPU performance and lots of ram. qual sli titan is 24GB of vram, 4 gpus and WAY more cuda cores / FLOPS

You must be confused, because SLI doesn't combine the VRAM of the GPUs. That's why the 690 has only 2 GB of VRAM, even though it is advertised as 4 GB. Dirty trick by nVidia if you ask me.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 16, 2013 11:29:57 AM

... the stupidity in this thread is incredible. However, I'm going to leave it at this:
Two titans does not give you 12GB of VRAM. 4 titans does not give you 24GB of VRAM. You could have two dozen titans in SLI, and you would STILL have only 6GB of VRAM.

So to the person who's buying two titans: Return one - it won't give you any benefit towards mods, and you shouldn't need two titans for skyrim on three 1080p screens.

To the poster (EDIT: two posts) above me, you're just... no. Do a tiny bit of research into SLI - the very first thing you learn is that VRAM DOES NOT STACK. That means that the 690, with it's "4GB" of VRAM, really only has 2GB. Each chip has 2GB, but because they're working in SLI, that means that the data has to be mirrored for each chip... i.e. you have 2GB of VRAM, NOT 4GB.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
May 16, 2013 12:45:34 PM

Such a old topic Dark :p  Yea I'm with you a single titan is more then enough for just about everyone.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 16, 2013 12:51:14 PM

... sorry. I do wish the news feed would let you know if it were an actual reply or a necro. :p 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
May 16, 2013 1:27:14 PM

When they made the forums change they did a pretty poor job at keeping posts up to date I had posts that were super old I had to push them off my feed by opening a good 20-30 threads was awful.
m
l
May 22, 2013 10:33:01 AM

I'm pretty sure Skyrim with the correct mods can bring any graphics card to it's knees. Seems like some people here saying "omg it's a waste!" haven't seen Skyrim running at 5-15 FPS on GTX 680's or 7970s because of extremely detailed mods.

Seems like some people are just going off of benchmarks and simple mods. There certainly are benefits to using a Titan in a highly modded Skyrim to bring Skyrim to a graphics level 2-3 times more detailed than when they originally started.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
May 22, 2013 1:20:21 PM

Right but when you are looking at cards and you are comparing a 690 to a Titan it just makes all the sense in the world why you would want the Titan over the 690. And skyrim isn't all that demanding as a whole anyway. It can be as system intense as you want to make it however there is no need.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2013 1:36:54 PM

nexus forums will confirm that skyrim will use 6gb vram maxed out mods running across 3 1440p monitors or a single 4k monitor, CTD's is the result once pushed over the edge. a single titan does indeed run a single 4k monitor with slightly below full max STEP mod installation, backing off on some of the heaviest vram mods. horsepower is not the issue with skyrim, vram is. no reports on triple 4k monitors yet as nobody has the setup yet but many assume 2 titans will do fine as long as the vram cap isn't pushed.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
May 22, 2013 1:53:25 PM

yea that sounds fine the gentlemen who started the post is running at 2560x1440 which is fine 3 screens I take it as you were going into with the nexus post @Nikoli. And I think it'll be quite some time before 4k screens take over given there price and even then I still think they will be a niche product given how 1080p seems to be the norm and 1440p/1600p is on the high end of the spectrum.
m
l
May 23, 2013 12:15:56 AM

I'm playing skyrim on 5760x1080 and I am very gla'd i got my 2 titans. With 1 Titan i could not run with the settings I wanted.

Enb series with a good modificator like SKYRIM ENHANCED SHADERS FX - ENB makes the game very demanding. Adding a whole new shadow system, Ambient occulasion, SSAO, Direct Lighting, bloom, edge AA, AF Etc.
This ontop of already demanding modded skyrim with 4k textures, lighting mods, climate mods, extended lod detail + +
The game is certainly demanding. Atleast my 2 titans are at a 95-99% usage along with my cpu at the same.

The enb comes with 3 different SSAO's and I'm using the lightest version. And medium to ultra ini tweaked settings.
Higest Vram I'v messured is 5,6GB usage.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 134 U Graphics card
May 23, 2013 3:04:10 AM

However thought consider what anti aliasing that you are using though. SSAO is very very very very demanding so I would go as far to say that if you were to change that to another form of anti aliasing then you would see your ram usage go much further down.

Look at Metro Last light why on earth would even the top end cards only be able to do 2x SSAO I think that just goes to show what's going on there. Furthermore I'm not a expert on all the different forms of aliasing however people seem to be really down on SSAO they don't like the method they don't like how demanding it is on hardware it just doesn't make much sense in reality to use. And based on how hard you were really pushing your hardware you were throwing the kitchen sink at your cards to get them to that point.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2013 3:36:59 AM

bigshootr8 said:
However thought consider what anti aliasing that you are using though. SSAO is very very very very demanding so I would go as far to say that if you were to change that to another form of anti aliasing then you would see your ram usage go much further down.

Look at Metro Last light why on earth would even the top end cards only be able to do 2x SSAO I think that just goes to show what's going on there. Furthermore I'm not a expert on all the different forms of aliasing however people seem to be really down on SSAO they don't like the method they don't like how demanding it is on hardware it just doesn't make much sense in reality to use. And based on how hard you were really pushing your hardware you were throwing the kitchen sink at your cards to get them to that point.

Agree 100%. It was the same thing I was thinking scrolling down this thread.
m
l
!