subwoofer-passive or active and more...

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
October 15, 2004 6:30:02 PM

I have DENON PMV-900V amplifier, it has about 50W power. There is no
out for any subwoofer but I need one. I think that the correct
subwoofer should be active however i dont have out on my amplituner
specified exactly for such one. I need sbw with input as the speakers
are connected, is it possible to connect a sbwr without such
inputs(only with one chinch in) because I keep an eye on a model of
such kind. I was thinking about connecting two chinches from video out
into one one chinch and then connecting it to the sbwr. I don't have
sbwr yet.

stv
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 11:02:03 PM

In article <f7a874b2.0410151330.17ae4fcf@posting.google.com>,
stef02@interia.pl (s.pl) wrote:

> I have DENON PMV-900V amplifier, it has about 50W power. There is no
> out for any subwoofer but I need one. I think that the correct
> subwoofer should be active however i dont have out on my amplituner
> specified exactly for such one. I need sbw with input as the speakers
> are connected, is it possible to connect a sbwr without such
> inputs(only with one chinch in) because I keep an eye on a model of
> such kind. I was thinking about connecting two chinches from video out
> into one one chinch and then connecting it to the sbwr. I don't have
> sbwr yet.
>
> stv

Some active subs have a passive crossover for just this purpose. You
connect your stereo amp to the sub's passive crossover input. If your
main speakers are large, leave them connected directly to the stereo
amp. If your main speakers are small, connect them to the output of the
sub's passive crossover to limit their low frequency power.
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 3:01:55 AM

s.pl wrote:
> I have DENON PMV-900V amplifier, it has about 50W power. There is no
> out for any subwoofer but I need one. I think that the correct
> subwoofer should be active however i dont have out on my amplituner
> specified exactly for such one. I need sbw with input as the speakers
> are connected, is it possible to connect a sbwr without such
> inputs(only with one chinch in) because I keep an eye on a model of
> such kind. I was thinking about connecting two chinches from video out
> into one one chinch and then connecting it to the sbwr. I don't have
> sbwr yet.
>
> stv

My subwoofer here is a 50W active thing from a company called Eltax
(from Richer Sounds in the UK). As well as a RCA LFE (low frequency)
input it has a pair of stereo 'high' level full range speaker push
in/out terminals. What this means is that I can connect my powered
left/right outputs from my AV amplifier to my subwoofer (and
concequencially run them out again (with now power change)) and
therefore have the subwoofer play the bass for these speakers.

AV Source (Analoug/digital) -> High (max 50W RMS) outputs from AV
amp -> High stereo inputs on active subwoofer -> High stereo
outputs on subwoofer -> left/right speakers.

You do not really want to split the output of your AV source
and run this into your subwoofer, this would mean you subwoofer
would be sent a full range of frequencies where it is only expecting
low frequencies (unless of course the subwoofer has 'full range'
inputs).

--
Regards
Aaron

Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> Some active subs have a passive crossover for just this purpose. You
> connect your stereo amp to the sub's passive crossover input. If your
> main speakers are large, leave them connected directly to the stereo
> amp. If your main speakers are small, connect them to the output of the
> sub's passive crossover to limit their low frequency power.

OK should I choose passive or active suwoofer. I found that passive
ones are always cheaper but their range of frequency is rather worse.
I have to choose between two sbwfrs:

- active with frequency range starting from 16Hz to about 250Hz. 150W
RMS and 30 centimeters diameter.
- passive with freq <20Hz,400Hz> (worse). 200RMS and 25 centimeters
diameter(it is better to have bigger speaker inside I think).

Both are without such passive crossover, which is a solution for my
problem.
Here comes my question: what would happen if I connect left and right
channel (full range of freq ) from video out of amplifier into one
chinch and then -> to sbw. Can I destroy my amplifier or future sbwr
in this way, is the full range of frequency amplfr -> sbw a problem to
subwoofer and may cause an "injury" to it?

s.pl
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 9:23:25 PM

"s.pl" wrote:

> I have DENON PMV-900V amplifier, it has about 50W power.
> There is no out for any subwoofer but I need one.

Use the headphone output then.

> I think that the correct subwoofer should be active

Generally yes.

> however i dont have out on my amplituner specified exactly
> for such one.

As long as an active subwoofer has a line level input and the required
cross-over the signal from the headphone output jack will do and
mono-coupling it, in case of using only one subwoofer, is generally
unproblematic.

> stv

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

October 18, 2004 2:25:00 AM

stef02@interia.pl (s.pl) wrote in

> I have DENON PMV-900V amplifier, it has about 50W power. There is no
> out for any subwoofer but I need one.

Many subwoofers have an internal crossover. If you feed the woofer with
speaker level inputs, the subwoofer will extract the low frequency signals.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)