Should I upgrade my graphic card?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have a Nvidia 9800GT 512GB 256 bit
1920 x 1080

I'm looking into: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
2560 x 1600

Is this a good idea?

my monitor is just 1080
suggestions?

guderiancol

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008

Get a 670 gtx, better

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

not sure what you mean....
I have never had any issues with Nvidia, as a matter of fact I don't have any issues with my 3 year old Nvidia card...
other that I'm considering to upgrade it.... but that's not an issue either.

I mostly watch movies/TV, normal PC "stuff" and some gaming.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012

Well i had alot of stuttering with a 670, when i upgraded. Battlefield 3 was unplayable amongst quite a few other games. I think it was a v sync issue. Whenever the frames dropped to 59 fps it would stutter like a mofo. I think they have some serious issues, either with the kepler architecture or just the v-sync. Plus i think the 650 and 660's are seriously over priced when compared to amd offerings at the same price point, as a result i wouldn't recommend nvidia to anyone ATM. Doesn't mean i wouldn't in the future if they get their *** together, but until then i will be happily gaming with my 7970, and soon to be 7970's. Personally i am Much happier with the 7970 vs 670 now i have made the switch.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Whenever the frames dropped to 59 fps it would stutter like a mofo.

Yeah, NVIDIA did something screwy with their drivers when they released "Adaptive V-Sync".

Normally, when you had V-SYNC on, higher frame rates are just capped to the monitor's refresh rate. Lower frame rates were unaffected, and still perfectly in sync with the monitor.

After the driver update, if the frame rate goes below the refresh rate on standard v-sync, it tries to FORCE the frame rate way down to half. So if your frame rate hangs out around 59-60 FPS, it tries to shoot the frames from 60FPS to 30FPS back and forth, causing hideous stuttering.

I haven't seen this since my GeForce FX 5700 LE.

Then, to make things oh so much better, they released adaptive v-sync. With this "feature", any time the frame rate goes below the refresh rate, it COMEPLETELY TURNS OFF V-SYNC. So now, when you get low frame rates, it adds insult to injury by re-introducing tearing. And that's now your only option to get frame rates between 30 and 60.

What on earth happened to good ol' v-sync? I stopped using NVCP v-sync as soon as this came out. In-Game options are now the only way to go.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
In response to the OP:

Personally, I upgraded from a GeForce 9800GTX+ to a GeForce GTX 660. If you're apt to stick with NVIDIA, I would say this is a good option. Personally, I prefer NVIDIA's drivers and features, especially when it comes to graphics mods or PhysX support.

(I suppose that's an odd thing to say after my V-Sync rant above.)

It's about $80+ less than the 660Ti, but for some odd reason, it generally performs about the same. So it's a better price/performance ratio. At least as far as NVIDIA is concerned.

Otherwise, if you're not sure either way, run straight toward AMD like a dog toward bacon......Or a man towards bacon.......or anything towards bacon...........

Just treat AMD like it's bacon.

Not only will you get a great range of options, you'll also get a great price/performance ratio. Your General Purpose GPU processing will also be absolutely top-notch compared to NVIDIA, if you do Folding@home, Bitmining, Mathematica, MATLAB, etc.