Need to upgrade my computer, suggestions?

gamedesigner101

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Hi, first off I've always seen my computer to be a little beast at what i need i to do, noisy, but hey if I've got my speakers up it doesn't bother me. lets get down to specs...

Processor: Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz

3.25GB of ram

GFX: Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

Windows XP service pack 3 although on boot i have the option for windows vista but never use it.

if you need any other info reply and i'll look for it but i think that's it, i'm looking for a computer that can handle gaming wll, i mean my current setup handles things like borderlands 2 on highest quality pretty well but lacks when it comes to higher quality games, on most websites I've been on the say my ram and processor are ok just the graphics card is lacking but i'm not sure,

thanks again.

AirSKiller

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013

In my opinion... You should just build an entire new computer... It's seems that you are fine with that one but your hardware is pretty old... Upgrading is would be just to expensive because: If you get a graphics card, your CPU won't keep up and you will need more RAM and a new motherboard with a socket to fit the new CPU, then your PSU isn't probably goning to handle the load... It would all crumble down...

More details first, mate: Powersupply, outputs in Amps and number of PCI-E connectors, Monitor resolution and, of course, budget.
As has been said, your rig is getting a little dated, but there's life in it yet.
The Q6600 was quite a good overclocker, add a inexpensive aftermarket cooler like the Hyper 212 Evo and you can squeeze a fair bit of extra performance out of that CPU.
Do not attempt it without doing some research first, though.
Check that RAM configuration, most motherboards will not run the memory in dual channel unless matched pairs of modules are used. Unless you have a 64 bit version of XP 4Gb is the maximum the system can use-the MB may support more but the system cannot use it.
Do n't expect to play Far Cry 3 at max settings at 1080 res, the CPU, even overclocked just is n't fast enough to drive the really fast card that game needs.
As a starter, how about the HD7770?

TRENDING THREADS