Suggestion on new gcard( 700 budget)

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipebow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hello i wanted to upgrade my gameing rig wasnt sure which vid card i should get the one i have no is ok but i would like a better one i guess here are some games i play and some games i wish to play.

Games i play now
league of legends
star wars the old republic
wow
natraul selection 2( computer gets random lag spikes in this game duno why)
gta Iv
cs go
sleeping dogs

Games i want to play in furture
crysis 3
far cry 3
bf3
and any other high end games i can find i guess

My computer specs
mobo- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Cpu- Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Graphics card- nvida 660 ti
psu- 750w crosshair
Monitor-benq 120hz

I have a 700 dollar budget dont know if i would need that much but meh can also wait a few weeks and save up more if its worth to sli a card but i dont think so because i only use one monitor.

Solution
You don't need 16GB of ram, especially for games. It won't ever be used.

No sense at all in an overpriced 680 when you have a 660Ti. If you're not happy with performance consider adding a second 660Ti. SLI and crossfire work fine with high end cards, and that's the only way you're going to see a significant performance increase.

Otherwise if you REALLY want an upgrade the 7970 is the top card and will be cheaper than a 680 but again you'd want 2 to really see a large improvement.

wouldn't normally be a great idea cost/performance wise since you already have a 660Ti to SLI with BUT you get Farcry 3, crysis 3, bioshock infinite, tomb raider, sleeping dogs, and Hitman free when you buy 2 7900 series cards. Since your looking for high...

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Just get this video card and buy yourself more memory (16GB, this will be absolutely fine)...you'll need it for hungry beasts like Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Max Payne 3, BioShock Infinite and etc.
For the rest of the money you can buy yourself a cake (yeah, I know it's a lie), go with your girlfriend to cinema (DO NOT go to "A Good Day To Kill A Good Franchise"! It's a POS!), buy your mom flowers/perfume...whatever you do, DO NOT buy Aliens "Colonial Marines" - it's absolute POS!

It's not worth SLIing current generation's Nvidia's GPUs. Really. Too expensive, too energy consuming, too hot, the boost in performance not high enough to be considered rewarding.

You don't need 16GB of ram, especially for games. It won't ever be used.

No sense at all in an overpriced 680 when you have a 660Ti. If you're not happy with performance consider adding a second 660Ti. SLI and crossfire work fine with high end cards, and that's the only way you're going to see a significant performance increase.

Otherwise if you REALLY want an upgrade the 7970 is the top card and will be cheaper than a 680 but again you'd want 2 to really see a large improvement.

wouldn't normally be a great idea cost/performance wise since you already have a 660Ti to SLI with BUT you get Farcry 3, crysis 3, bioshock infinite, tomb raider, sleeping dogs, and Hitman free when you buy 2 7900 series cards. Since your looking for high end games it swings it back to where it may make sense since your also getting higher performance than 660Ti SLI, and can sell yours. (you get all 6 games with 2 7950s as well if you want to go cheaper)

Solution

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Tell him that when he starts getting stutters in games like Crysis 3 or modern MMOs. WoD pretty much comes next year...it'll eat a lot...

It's not overpriced. It's "price-to-performance" rating is just fine. Besides, he got enough money to allow himself to buy that. Why are YOU bothered by that so much? HM?

He decided to upgrade and asked for an advice on better cards, I gave it to him.

Absolute BS. BS all the way.

filipebow

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hmm i think 7950's might be out of the question because i read on newegg watt calculator id need a 940wat psu to power those two although i was considering gettings 2 670's and sli them cuz they are cheaper and i feel id get more power the the 280 and be close to the 2 7950's am i right or am i mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.