NVIDIA GeForce GT 710M - Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleasant

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Im shopping for a laptop with certain criteria. if I go the windows 8 route, I would want the touch screen and NVIDIA graphics - or so I've read that it is much more better than the Intel 4000.. so I have found 1 laptop that has both. Just one.
This one: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.M6VAA.001

I place this in the graphics thred because I dont know if this NVIDIA is good or just totally low end.

If it is crappy, I figure I should either go with windows7 cheap gaming machine or mac. (some gaming but not overly so and
lots of Macbook pros have a NVIDIA in them. Their CS states that they run games very nicely) though I've heard different in every search I've done online.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

The HD4000 is good enough to play HD video and some light games, which is about what the GeForce 710M can do. Why bother with a discrete card when an integrated one is just as good?

novaguy

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

I say this as someone who has the amd 6750m on my personal laptop, but AMD really needs to improve their drivers, and especially the enduro implementation. Right now optimus is just a big advantage for nvidia, and makes the intel + nvidia combination good for laptops.

AMD discrete stuff kind of makes sense in combination with their llano/trinity quad core apus, although they need to improve the crossfire drivers as well. I would like to see AMD come out with a "big graphics" apu, much like intel is likely to be doing with Haswell. Maybe they'll make that PS4 chip available for laptops.

Halo9275

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Actually a 710m is like doing 2 times the performance an hd4000 can do.. i had both, i ran assassins creed 4 on 1366X768 resolution and very low settings and got 20 fps using 710m while using hd4000 i barely got 7 fps..
Plus that a 710m can be overclocked while an hd4000 cant be..

Yepi69

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Are you joking? I have a laptop with a 710M card and it runs everything just fine, on high.

I can run Grand theft auto IV on high, Sleeping Dogs on high and even other games.
Don't speak of what you don't know, also you can overclock it.

At what resolution? 1366x768?

Yepi69

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

And more, up to 1980x1028 ( I think that's it)

Being ABLE to go upto 1980x1028(what kind of a resolution is that?) and getting GOOD FPS at 1980x1028 is totally different. GTAIV is more of a CPU hog. If you had a decent CPU in your build, it'll make sense that GTAIV ran at around 25 or so FPS(it does that on any machine literally) as it looks more or less the same at all graphics settings unless you turn them too low.
There is no way a game such as, say NFS Rivals, will run decently at high settings at 1366x768 on that GPU.

Yepi69

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

That alone doesn't make it shitty, wow it can't run Need for Speed Rivals nor BattleField 4 at extreme, so what?

G

Need for Speed Rivals is a silly EA game. Watch Total Biscuit play it, he was lagging with Titans in SLi configuration. Also NO laptop can play Battlefield 4 on Extreme.

Don't know who that guy is, but I saw a Youtube video of a guy having a titan and getting a constant 60FPS(fixed) on max settings at 1080p.

Mckennakins

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
There are multiple versions of the 710M. Personally I have the 2GB 775MHz version rather than the 1GB. It's a not bad budget card to be honest if you need a laptop and you're also wanting to game. Personally I just got a cooling fan for mine and overclocked it by 200MHz to give a little boost. Battlefield 4 on high runs at 35 fps, Tomb raider on high with an average benchmark of 31.2 fps (These are prior to overclock). If you buy a laptop with the 710M it will come integrated with intel 400 graphics and will switch when needed or you can choose to run programmes using only the nvidea GPU. Though I'd suggest going for a decent CPU to if using that graphics card as I have an i7 3.2GHz. It'll give you not bad gaming results and make most games playable on medium/high though anti aliasing can be a bitch with this card. Just don't expect to be getting 60 frames on ultra and you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.